Repairing Radio Wiring Harness

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
I'm currently without a radio as it has been cut out of my wiring harness. Does anyone have a schematic of WHAT should be wired into WHERE? Currently, I have a mess of wires in the gaping hole in my dash (2003 Jetta Wagon). I'm hoping to wire in either the stock radio or an aftermarket one, but due to the hack job going on where the radio WAS, I don't know where to begin and what is missing.

Can someone help please?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Do you have a replacement radio? Single or Double DIN?

Does it have a quadrolock connection?

Maybe someone will cut one out of a part out?

It should have a pin-out diagram for the connector?

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Depending on how much is hacked up, I would probably replace the radio console. It's not too expensive and will make the interior look better. Having the radio console out will give you access to the wiring harness. You should be able to find the correct plugs at a salvage yard, ebay or the for sale forum. I would hope the factory harness is there, just cut off. If so, matching the wires up should be easy. If you have a factory VW radio, most have the wiring diagram on the radio. If your car originally had a Monsoon radio, the wiring is a bit more involved, so you may want to verify what you have before you get too far.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
I'm hoping that the wiring harness isn't too hacked apart. I'll take a few photos after work tonight and post them up. I honestly can't tell what is missing or if someone removed parts of the harness that are integral to the whole car.

I also have to replace the clock spring, and fix an oil leak, and, and, and, etc. :(

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
[dumb stuff disclaimer] Check if the factory plug is not still there. Often these get cut out of a replacement unit, the plugs may still be there. If not, get a factory plug(s) and wire it in. That way you'll have no issue with whatever you purchase.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have cupholders in the console? A cupholder that slides out above the radio (hole) or a blanking plate there?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Depending on where you are in Washington, I have a parts car that I'm getting ready to finish stripping and dump, but you're welcome to rummage for dash parts.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
[dumb stuff disclaimer] Check if the factory plug is not still there. Often these get cut out of a replacement unit, the plugs may still be there. If not, get a factory plug(s) and wire it in. That way you'll have no issue with whatever you purchase.
I'm not sure what they would look like as it came like this...:eek::rolleyes:

If I take a photo, maybe someone could offer some advice.

Do you have cupholders in the console? A cupholder that slides out above the radio (hole) or a blanking plate there?
It has the cup holders that when you press the center, they pop out and then the holders drop down.

Depending on where you are in Washington, I have a parts car that I'm getting ready to finish stripping and dump, but you're welcome to rummage for dash parts.
I'm in Bellingham, and unfortunately, it is a bit difficult to make it that far south. How far stripped down is the car? Would you be willing to take a pic of the stock set up so I can see what it SHOULD look like please?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm not sure what they would look like as it came like this...:eek::rolleyes:

If I take a photo, maybe someone could offer some advice.....................
Photo may not help much. Follow a few of the wires back, if they they go into a bundle you need a new plug(s). But with the spaghetti you're looking at there might be a plug behind the cut wires.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The dash on mine is still intact other than the steering wheel being pulled, the glove box and blower pulled, and a few switches from above the radio. (Getting ready to pull the heated seat harness)

I can take a picture of the wiring if you want, but at the moment it looks much like any and all other Jetta dashes. Are you wanting one of the radio opening, to see the wiring harnesses?

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
So here is the spaghetti mess in my dash. Its almost like its three groups of wires. The first group is in the first pic with the blue end plug and black plug. The second group is a poorly constructed tangle with a fuse holder, a black box with wires in and out and another black plug, but small. The third bunch appear to be the aux cables.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g0rHI5xVPG0vk2wm1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cXbamlzJqV5G57s83

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G8jzzJS2iqAR0Hq63

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bahba70YMGgTe9Af1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o24diD5B1b25Wigi2

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
The dash on mine is still intact other than the steering wheel being pulled, the glove box and blower pulled, and a few switches from above the radio. (Getting ready to pull the heated seat harness)

I can take a picture of the wiring if you want, but at the moment it looks much like any and all other Jetta dashes. Are you wanting one of the radio opening, to see the wiring harnesses?
If you could snap a pic of the wiring that's in it, that would be perfect. I'm needing to see what is stock and what is not and how stock is configured. Thank you :cool:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
That transmission would worry me more than the radio, but the stock radio connector is in the first picture. You need to decide what radio is going back in it as what you need to do is dependent on that. Keep in mind the stock radio does not use a traditional power wire, it turns on and off using canbus. The car originally had a double din Premium 6 radio. Not a bad radio, but lacks some modern features. Once you decide on a radio, it shouldn't be too hard to sort the wiring. I would get rid of all the RCA cables unless you are fitting a remote amp.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
That transmission would worry me more than the radio, but the stock radio connector is in the first picture. You need to decide what radio is going back in it as what you need to do is dependent on that. Keep in mind the stock radio does not use a traditional power wire, it turns on and off using canbus. The car originally had a double din Premium 6 radio. Not a bad radio, but lacks some modern features. Once you decide on a radio, it shouldn't be too hard to sort the wiring. I would get rid of all the RCA cables unless you are fitting a remote amp.
Out of curiosity, why would the transmission worry you? I know the auto isn't as desirable, but it seems to be working ok still. I only have 150k miles on my car.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When I installed a Kenwood radio I ran new speaker wires and power wires.
I wanted real speaker wires, not the thin VW wires.
Ran direct to the speakers, eliminated the booster in the back.
Ran the new power and ground wires so I would not have to work about hooking up scanners.
No comparison to the original radio.
For me it was easier.