Stop fueling with Propel HPR Diesel

Eddie_TDI

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
"Anyway, the leaks when switching to HPR or renewable diesel might be considered a warning that your pump seals are aged. The pump will probably eventually start leaking no matter what fuel you run."

Probably true. But your pump may last another 100k miles if you don't switch to HPR. I've got 380K miles on my TDI with no leaks fron the original pump. I don't want to switch to HPR now to see what happens.

Rumblebunny

TDI
Mk4 ALH Beetle
The OP posted the same exact post over at VWVortex. And I would guess probably at any other VW or diesel-related board. It makes me wonder if he was a disgruntled employee or something.

I have tried the 76 Renewable diesel and noticed no difference. I like that it's renewable. I tend to look for cheaper D2.

I've seen references to "Premium Diesel". What is that?

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
The OP posted the same exact post over at VWVortex. And I would guess probably at any other VW or diesel-related board. It makes me wonder if he was a disgruntled employee or something.

I have tried the 76 Renewable diesel and noticed no difference. I like that it's renewable. I tend to look for cheaper D2.

I've seen references to "Premium Diesel". What is that?
Ignore the OP, just a cranky crackpot.

No issues with rendered animal diesel in my '03 or now in my '09, both running with 20% HPR and 80% Chevron D2.

Eddie_TDI

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
I pulled into the Chevron station, that I knew had the cheapest diesel around, and realized they changed to biodiesel. After reading the stories about how biodiesel makes the injection pump leak in the older TDIs I decided to go to another station. I pulled into a 76 station and I was suprised to find out that they only had HPR. I was really low on fuel so I figured I would put a half tank in and try and find some diesel #2 later and fill up completely with that so that's what I did. Son of a gun, a few weeks later my injection pump started leaking. I guess the old injection pump with almost 400k miles on it couldn't handle the change in fuel. I replaced the injection pump myself and I will be using diesel #2 from now on. Maybe the new pump can handle HPR now but I don't want to take any chances. My new pump is a Bosch rebuilt one and I'm curious if they update the seals in them to handle HPR.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
RD is the ONLY thing I miss having moved from the CPR to Arizona. I wish Union 76 would sell RD here.

Rumblebunny

TDI
Mk4 ALH Beetle
I pulled into the Chevron station, that I knew had the cheapest diesel around, and realized they changed to biodiesel. After reading the stories about how biodiesel makes the injection pump leak in the older TDIs I decided to go to another station. I pulled into a 76 station and I was suprised to find out that they only had HPR. I was really low on fuel so I figured I would put a half tank in and try and find some diesel #2 later and fill up completely with that so that's what I did. Son of a gun, a few weeks later my injection pump started leaking. I guess the old injection pump with almost 400k miles on it couldn't handle the change in fuel.
How long ago did this happen?

Eddie_TDI

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
I changed the injection pump about a month ago and the car probably sat for 2 months after it started leaking so I'd say about 3 months ago it happened.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
In a lot of situations happening here with leaky pumps you find all stories here to be pump related due to age, like the 400K, cmon pumps if they last that long do not divert and try to blame any type of fuel, I'd say pump gave me that many miles now i need to spend to seal it up period, someone may say mine is 500k no leak, great pump lasted that long, with all parts inside pump working as hard as they do, you should not complain instead give props to the pump

Eddie_TDI

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
In a lot of situations happening here with leaky pumps you find all stories here to be pump related due to age, like the 400K, cmon pumps if they last that long do not divert and try to blame any type of fuel, I'd say pump gave me that many miles now i need to spend to seal it up period, someone may say mine is 500k no leak, great pump lasted that long, with all parts inside pump working as hard as they do, you should not complain instead give props to the pump
Pretty coincidental though that the pump started leaking with the first time I ever used HPR 400k miles or not. And you can't prove that HPR wasn't a factor in causing the leak either.

Highwaylizard

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Interesting thread and biodiesel/WVO possibilities being one of the many reasons I bought a TDI. Just learning so if there is a thread I can read to answer my question please point me in the right direction.

I have a 2014 SportWagon TDI and I think it is classified as an Mk6 as well as being a common rail?

Can someone explain why a common rail is not a good choice for BD or WVO? What happens and how? I did a search it does not appear there are any BD stations near me so I am not sure it matters that much but I am curious as to the answers.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Nothing to do with the fact it is a common rail vehicle and more to do with the emissions and regens needed of the dpf. In VW and others method excess fuel is late injected into the cylinder to heat up the dpf for regen purposes. This also causes some of the fuel to leak down the cylinder walls into the engine oil, diluting and ruining it over time. Anything over 20% will cause this to start happening. Test someone here did long ago where they used B100 and found the oil level rising just as predicted. Newer cars with this style of injection for the dpf just can't handle large percentages of B100. Small percentages don't show this issue or isn't a problem over time.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I did a search it does not appear there are any BD stations near me so I am not sure it matters that much but I am curious as to the answers.
The CR engine can tolerate up to 20% Bio-D (B20), but in general VW recommends no more than 5%. They only reason 20% was OK was because some states mandated B20 as the minimum level. In most states, a "normal" diesel station is really about B5. It actually makes the fuel a bit cleaner, without causing issues with the DPF or other emission controls.

Highwaylizard

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Tha
Nothing to do with the fact it is a common rail vehicle and more to do with the emissions and regens needed of the dpf. In VW and others method excess fuel is late injected into the cylinder to heat up the dpf for regen purposes. This also causes some of the fuel to leak down the cylinder walls into the engine oil, diluting and ruining it over time. Anything over 20% will cause this to start happening. Test someone here did long ago where they used B100 and found the oil level rising just as predicted. Newer cars with this style of injection for the dpf just can't handle large percentages of B100. Small percentages don't show this issue or isn't a problem over time.
The CR engine can tolerate up to 20% Bio-D (B20), but in general VW recommends no more than 5%. They only reason 20% was OK was because some states mandated B20 as the minimum level. In most states, a "normal" diesel station is really about B5. It actually makes the fuel a bit cleaner, without causing issues with the DPF or other emission controls.
Thank you both for your responses. Certainly gives me some things to think about.