Low Beams dead, High Beams OK

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
2002.5 NB 65,000 miles

On my way home from NY about four hours after leaving during the day I noticed I had no headlights. That included no DLRs as well.

Both low beams were working when I had parked the car a couple of days earlier. I ended up driving about 400 miles at night with just my city lights and fogs.

Both High beam lamps are working normally.

After researching here the only thing I found was likely was that both lamps went out at the same time. Possible, but ...

Making matters worse, my older computer, with my Bentley manual on it died and I have not re-registered the manual to my newer computer yet.

I was able to check out the headlight switch as I had replaced the US OEM with a Euro-OEM. I still had the old one. That was not it.

So it really does not look like fun replacing the headlamps on my New Beetle and I would like to avoid that for now. Does anyone have any suggestions? Relays, connectors, fuses???? Without any wiring diagrams I don't know where to start.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Joe you know a lot more than I do about these cars but isn't there a really easy way to pull the bulbs on the NB's and check the filament?? That aside of course check the two low-beam fuses. On my 02 Jetta it would be fuses 18 & 19
Guy

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya, I would check the bulbs first. As stupid as it is, they may have both simply burnt out. With how easy it is to remove the buggy's headlights I would do this first.

EDIT: to change the bulb, press the locking tab in on the slider, and rotate the slider. The whole headlight comes out.

-Jason

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Both of my high beams burned out at the same time, so it's not unheard of....

VWTECH3

TDI
2001 TDI jetta and another 2001 TDI Jetta
Pulling headlights in a beetle is never easy if you have not done it before, it is very easy to break lots of plastic fast.I have seen lots of damage done by customer do it yourself attemps. I am not trying to scare you but the light does not always just pop right out.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
VWTECH3 said:
Pulling headlights in a beetle is never easy if you have not done it before, it is very easy to break lots of plastic fast.I have seen lots of damage done by customer do it yourself attemps. I am not trying to scare you but the light does not always just pop right out.
Is there a how to on this? My Bentley is not available until they get back to me with some codes so I can install it on my new machine. I looked at it and it does not seem very intuitive.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
compu_85 said:
Ya, I would check the bulbs first. As stupid as it is, they may have both simply burnt out. With how easy it is to remove the buggy's headlights I would do this first.

EDIT: to change the bulb, press the locking tab in on the slider, and rotate the slider. The whole headlight comes out.

-Jason
Is there a photo somewhere pointing out what the locking tab and slider look like?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Headlamp Up-date

Fuses have been checked OK I found instructions from Mike C . They were for an older NB but they might also apply to my 2002 (second half model). However it is not 100% certain that I understand the instructions so I am hesitant to use much force.

So does anyone have specific instructions on how to get to the head lamps. Is there a sticky or instructions hidden somewhere here?

Thanks.

If this works I will try to make up some instructions with photos. Anyone know what NB models would have the same setup?

New Update: I found out about the lock that needed to be pushed (identified by the cross hatch pattern on it. I now have the levers about 2/3 of the apparent motion. Should they move the full apparent distance? The head lamps are now loose, but it appears they are still being held by the locking mechanism. Would pushing them back in out have any effect on moving the locking lever to full open?

Thanks

Last edited:

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
For what it's worth, both low beams in my golf burned out on the same day. It made it 2 1/2 years, 65,000km then they both burned out within 3 hours of each other... kind of weird how that works. Sucks that I had to stand in line at walmart twice though.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Funguy said:
I had a link to a site with pictures but it looks like it was removed. Perhaps the following link (no pictures) will help: http://www.vwawny.org/techtips/New-Beetle-Headlight.pdf

Guy
Thanks, that is the one I had already found and printed out that got me past the first step. Now that lever is about 2/3 of the way from full closed to open (up). It does not seem to want to move further and the lamp housing is loose but will only move about a 1/2 inch or less.

I am thinking of using some spray silicon lube. Any comments anyone?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Zero10 said:
For what it's worth, both low beams in my golf burned out on the same day. It made it 2 1/2 years, 65,000km then they both burned out within 3 hours of each other... kind of weird how that works. Sucks that I had to stand in line at walmart twice though.
Yea, that may have been the case for me too, somewhere just over 65,000 miles. It would appear that DRL don't really decrease lamp life. These are my original lamps.

It is good to know that the bights use the same lamp. In the even of a lamp out, you have a spare. :)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Thank you all * I have light

Last Update.

I had the dealer replace both lamps. About $120.00 LATTER all is well.

It was the lamps, funny both of them burning out within about 8 hours. I believe I understand how the lamps are replaced, but frankly for all the work and bother, I think I will have it done the next time unless I can't find someone to do it.

It is not all that difficult, but it sure tight in there and with one hand injured, getting it done was not going to be fun.

Thanks for all the help and support.