2015 Q5 TDI - Bi-Turbo Compatible Parts

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Hello All,
I few months ago I purchased a 2015 Q5 TDI - 51k Miles - Premium plus w/ BO, Tech Package, and factory tow options ( came from a 2018 Subaru WRX, and we have a 2011 Hatchback WRX still in the family and previously had a Mk6 Golf TDI ). We love to mod, as we enjoy getting the most out of any vehicle we own.

I've done a ton of research and found that the Bi-Turbo intercooler works from Darkside w/ some minor mods. Cool deal there.

I've seen various places offering turbo upgrades and what not.

But my question specifically is about DPF's. So I live in Massachusetts... so removing the DPF is not really a good option I think( our emissions here are fairly strict and the inspection process keeps getting more and more hardcore ). I've been looking to see if there is a bigger less restrictive DPF that can be used from another model, and I was wondering if maybe the Bi-turbo would work, or even if it was actually different.... Anyone have any information down this road? Or additional suggestions?

I'm also looking for more thoughts and options as far as mods( What do you guys think?.... please keep in mind all of my tuning experience is on Japanese and Korean Cars.... so I may be missing something huge here ):

Suspension:
I've done a ton of research and think long term I want do Billstein B6's w/ factory springs, and the 034 Rear Sway bar for a little better handling ( We also will want to tow a small travel trailer so figure the shocks couldn't hurt ), and MAYBE the 034 cross brace / sway bar endlinks. We tend to like the factory height, but it wouldn't kill to have slightly stronger suspension.

Power:
I have the flashzilla 3... haven't gotten the info over to malone yet as i got it yesterday.... but since my TDI is a one I got used POST fix, I'm very looking forward to the difference. Maybe turbo or something else if I can deal w/ the DPF issues long term. If I can get into the neighborhood of 350+ HP, and the corresponding ridiculous amount of TQ I figure for me that would be more than enough.

Rims / Tires: I've been looking at Flow One F4's w/ Continental DWS 06. Currently has michelins, but we love those DWS 06 tires. The Flow Ones are 19's that only weight 21.45lbs per, which is much lighter than the stock 19's, and the DWS 06 tires are about 1 lbs lighter per than whats on there now.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...ull&wheelFinish=Gloss+Gunmetal+Silver+Painted

Brakes:
Currently the brakes are at less than half life... the previous owner towed for sure. Looking at Centric Cryotreated premium w/ the anti-corrosion coating and Stoptech street pads( not sure how these will do or hold up on the Q, vs our WRX... on the WRX it is so much stopping power you have to barely feather the brakes or end up in the steering wheel... hahaha ).

Appearance: Honestly I like the looks of my Q... maybe an SQ grill, or RS grill or something... but other than that not much....

Thanks So much!

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I know that maybe no one knows anything about the DPF compatibility.... but does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on the other parts i mentioned... also maybe some things that maybe I don't know about?

Thanks!

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I would check out Club Touareg for more info. Much more activity over there for the 3.0 TDI.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
The Q5 TDI feel pretty rare to me. I see them now and then but there are zero available for sale on the local craigstlist. My guess is that there are more Q7 and Tregs with the TDI option.

The most activity on this site for the 3.0's seems to be the A6's.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey there,

Thanks for the info... I posted in club Touareg and found some interesting leads on a possible TCM tune, and for a turbo upgrade for the 3.0 that someone is actively working on this might be applicable. When I found out more I'll post an update.

Also I sent off my file for my Stage 2 Malone w/ Emissions equipment intact ( Massachusetts... kinda have to... hahaha ). Just waiting for info back from Malone.

KITEWAGON - I kinda agree. I found mine on Carvana and it came from Texas. There is really only like 4 Q5 TDI's on there, and like 120 Q5's that are not diesel on there. So i feel fairly lucky... cost my 26k w/ 47k Miles on it. Runs like a champ.

Highest highway average over a 1100 mile trip was 35 MPG @80ish( Computer Calculated )... Average over the 2500 miles we've put on it ( 31.3 ) .... Previous owner average over 16900 miles ( 27.3 MPG ). All post dieselgate w/ no tune. I did hand check the computer twice and it seems to be high by about 1 MPG.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
Awesome! I also use to be a WRX and STI guy before I had kiddos. I’ve also been looking to do some of the upgrades you’re aiming for. I’m already stage 2 Malone Tune with a Rawtek Delete and downpipe with a custom straight piped exhaust (which is great power and mpg btw) but I’d really like to get a larger intercooler for heat soak reasons and a TCU tune for the Q5.. would you mind posting the link to the clubtouareg forum that you made so I can follow it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. I didn't make the thread. It was a very long thread that was pretty active that I asked a few questions in. It appears over there yrktreg does the TCM tune and he's out of PA. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287915

As far as intercooler. I've been told that the euro sq5 tdi cooler works with some charge pipe trimming.... that's an A5 install. At one point I saw someone saying they did it successfully on their Q5.... cant find it currently.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...a6-bi-turbo-intercooler-on-a5-3-0-tdi.296021/

but that also this will work well. https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...mic-for-2-0-2-7-3-0-tdi-audi-b8-platform.html

Last edited:

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
Perfect, thank you. I’ve been looking at the darkside intercooler for a while and haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve also been looking at a hybrid turbo for our cars and I’m just wondering if our transmissions (after a tcu tune) would be good for ~380hp and guessing high 500’s for tq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel,

Sounds pretty awesome. From what I was reading of the thread that i sent you, that one is specifically on an upgraded turbo but keeping all the driveability and they are talking about if for the TREG with the ability to keep all emissions equipment if needed ( i need to being in mass ). But it can be used w/o it, and the big thing is above improving the torque band, may be something your looking for, def worth a read if so.

As far as the tranny I've seen conflicting reports that its good for about 530, and then see there are are other models that offer 630 and 700 respectively... but i cannot confirm or deny which is in ours specifically. But I am erring on the side of caution right now and aiming for around 330, and just about 520tq.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Yeah. I didn't make the thread. It was a very long thread that was pretty active that I asked a few questions in. It appears over there yrktreg does the TCM tune and he's out of PA. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287915

As far as intercooler. I've been told that the euro sq5 tdi cooler works with some charge pipe trimming.... that's an A5 install. At one point I saw someone saying they did it successfully on their Q5.... cant find it currently.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...a6-bi-turbo-intercooler-on-a5-3-0-tdi.296021/

but that also this will work well. https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...mic-for-2-0-2-7-3-0-tdi-audi-b8-platform.html
I have the BITDI installed on my TDI. In hindsight I should have also bought the BITDI specific hoses but my mechanic made it work with my stock hoses and borrowing a hose from an old turbo Porsche. Did anyone else receive the notice from Audi wanting to install a new DPF and cat? I wonder if the new one flows any better?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Pittdawg,

I did get the notice. I removed my Malone Stage 2 tune for now, and I am driving it around currently to get all the readiness monitors good. After that I am going to call audi and get it done. My Q has 52k miles on it currently, so no issues here getting a new DPF that SHOULD last 125k+ miles... When I get it done... I'll report back on anything I notice.... then I have to ask Malone about the tune... because my guess is if they've made any real changes then the tune is basically useless... hahaha

Also do you have any part numbers or anything on the biturbo intercooler( or maybe where you sourced yours from)? I've looked a bit but cannot confirm a good one yet( i need to do more research )

Last edited:

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Also do you have any part numbers or anything on the biturbo intercooler( or maybe where you sourced yours from)? I've looked a bit but cannot confirm a good one yet( i need to do more research )
The part number is 8R0145805A and I believe there are also a few revisions with slightly different numbers.

It was a real pain in the butt sourcing it because they are only sold in the European market. I finally located a Euro website that had it brand new but it now shows as unavailable. I also found a few used ones on the Uk version of Ebay but they looked in really bad shape.

https://cars245.com/en/item/audi-volkswagen-8R0145805A-cooler/