What to Know About Mk7 Golf

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
We just bought a 2015 Golf S TDI, though have not yet taken delivery.

I’ve had two Mk4s for many years and feel pretty familiar with their ways and idiosyncrasies. But what should I know about my new car’s quirks or characteristics? Any known issues?

I welcome your comments.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Oil changes take ten times longer. Other than that I don’t think anybody has identified any unusual points of failure or anything like that.

It may simply be too soon, with too few of them on the road due to the emissions issues that resulted in a freeze on sales for a long while.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Most everything had an oil filter on the bottom side not long ago.
Sure more convenient on the top side, but it’s not the end of the world to have it underneath either, not even out of the ordinary.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’ve read some comments about door seals leaking. Is this widespread? Is it a matter of clearing the drains once in a while?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Most everything had an oil filter on the bottom side not long ago.
Sure more convenient on the top side, but it’s not the end of the world to have it underneath either, not even out of the ordinary.

Not to many filters that I've changed from under the car required disconnecting any sensors, and the use of zip ties, also they weren't cartridge style filters either.

IMO while not the end of the world def the worse combo.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Yeah, the oil change is less convenient, but certainly not ten times longer. For a ramps in the driveway guy like me, think 45 minutes instead of 30 with cleanup added in. I've done oil changes on all four of my TDIs, and the bottom filter isn't the end of the world. The longest change will be the first one, as you orient yourself, then the second change is a breeze.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you get the red one in Rochester? What did you end up getting it for?
I’m inexperienced buying from dealers, so I probably could have done better.

I offered $17,600 which included the stupid ripoff $299 fee. I’m not really displeased.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
What to know...
Get an OBD app on your smart phone or scangage or something to read live data so you know when the regens are happening, never shut it off while doing it keep driving for a couple minutes to cool everything down (not just idling). Turbo will thank you.
A bit of lube/spray on the block heater cord plug helps immensely to go in and out.
Get the fuel filling funnel adapter from VW so you can actually fill with a gerry can in an emergency or truck nozzle. Should be in every glove box...without it impossible to do the roadside filling with gerry can.
Fuel quality is extra important. Adding a better filtration set up or water trap would really prolong things.
You will be amazed how quiet the car is...how much data it can tell you on the radio screen (average speed, fuel economy since new, hours, etc).

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Block heater cord? Huh? My car has a block heater?

Do you know of a decent obd2 device that will work with my iPhone6?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Nope, Canada’s do, we do not. Not really needed down here IMO.