TDI
15 GSW
I just got an oil change today they said they added 2 gal of adblue

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jen_madcity

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
Put in a gallon today, probably could have put in more if I'd had it, warning light is off but this has me scratching my head......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
My warning light went on during the Christmas break. At approx. 22,000kms I added a 10L jug. I now have just over 35,000kms.
Just real rough math: on 10L of DEF I travelled approx. 13,367km and consumed approx. 758L. That means I consumed 1.3% DEF per litre? I'm very happy with that, in the heavy equipment world that I'm in very low consumption is at approx. 3%.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
New Old Stock GSW with the DSG.

I put in 3 gallons of DEF after 14,000 km over 6 months. Probably 70% highway.

So the tank will easily last between oil changes post fix.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So far our Passat has about 8K since ownership, no DEL light as of yet, fingers crossed.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
When I took mine in for first oil change a few weeks ago at 9700 miles, DEF light hadn't come on. When I looked at what they did on service order,it says it was topped off,but no qty. or part#. When a survey was sent by email, I questioned the adblue qty. and part #. I was told they top it off using containers from other vehicles that they top off with. I don't know why VW didn't put a gauge you can pull up to let you know how much is remaining. I was thinking of just topping it off myself now -WalMart has their brand for a little over $4 a gallon.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I’m not seeing that much more usage since part 1 fix. Had fix for about 10k and only filled up once since I got the warning about 1k ago.

Agreed about the gauge; I guess they just wanted to save costs and have one less thing that was considered a pita owning a diesel or something. It’s no big deal and do think one can go 10k (at least from my driving experience) post fix between warnings.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
When I took mine in for first oil change a few weeks ago at 9700 miles, DEF light hadn't come on. When I looked at what they did on service order,it says it was topped off,but no qty. or part#. When a survey was sent by email, I questioned the adblue qty. and part #. I was told they top it off using containers from other vehicles that they top off with. I don't know why VW didn't put a gauge you can pull up to let you know how much is remaining. I was thinking of just topping it off myself now -WalMart has their brand for a little over $4 a gallon.
That's what I did. Bought the big box of Peak DEF from Walmart and one Kruse bottle of AdBlue from the VW dealer to use as the reusable filler. The top screws right off.

Mine use 1.67 gallons per 10,000 miles, pretty much the same as my 2012 NMS did.

Viz

TDI
2001 & 2002 MKIV, 2015 MKVII
That's what I did. Bought the big box of Peak DEF from Walmart and one Kruse bottle of AdBlue from the VW dealer to use as the reusable filler. The top screws right off.

Mine use 1.67 gallons per 10,000 miles, pretty much the same as my 2012 NMS did.
There's no reason one can't top off the tank prior to the 10K mile mark, or, for that matter, at any time, correct ? Rather than wait for service or a warning light (I'm at 7K miles now), I'd rather know it's not going to throw a warning light or have to find the fluid while on a trip.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
There's no reason one can't top off the tank prior to the 10K mile mark, or, for that matter, at any time, correct ? Rather than wait for service or a warning light (I'm at 7K miles now), I'd rather know it's not going to throw a warning light or have to find the fluid while on a trip.
Correct, you can top it off whenever. Ironically I had it go off when I was out of town and with being in and out of the car I didn’t want the reminder every startup. Found a Pep Girls nearby and got the Peak stuff as it was all they had.

Some mechanic seeing me with the bottle asked if I knew it was for a diesel. Lol I asked, “Really, this isn’t washer fluid?” He’s like oh yeah it is. :rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

you could also stop by the big truck stops that had def pump for sale at 2.70 gallon and toss in 5 gallons when the light comes on, less mess and hassle other than many times you have to pre pay and they laugh at you when you ask for only 5 gallons.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you could also stop by the big truck stops that had def pump for sale at 2.70 gallon and toss in 5 gallons when the light comes on, less mess and hassle other than many times you have to pre pay and they laugh at you when you ask for only 5 gallons.
How does that work? Do they have a fitting that matches our Ad-Blue tanks?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
AdBlue? No one at the dealer mentioned this. Is this tge DEF stuff? At what mileage interval do you add it? Yuk!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AdBlue? No one at the dealer mentioned this. Is this tge DEF stuff? At what mileage interval do you add it? Yuk!
Every 10k is a good time, but a full tank should last almost double that.

Yes, it’s VWs brand name for the same spec DEF you can buy at Walmart. The filler is inside your fuel door, just left of the fuel filler.

My suggestion, buy one Kruse bottle of Ad-Blue at your closest dealer to use as your reusable filler (the top screws off at the neck). Then get 5 gal of Peak from Walmart and you’re set for a long time.

Or just pee in the tank like I do!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How does that work? Do they have a fitting that matches our Ad-Blue tanks?
Nope the pumps handles at the stations have this long slender flexible tube attached to the nozzle, it just slips in the filler neck in the trunk, think catheter, then you just pump away. Biggest issue with this is you have no real idea how close you are to the top so thats why if you toss 4 gallons in when the light comes on you'd prob fill it to 80% or so.

Also while you're there make sure you grab a hot dog at the truck stop, nothing beats truck stop hot dogs.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope the pumps handles at the stations have this long slender flexible tube attached to the nozzle, it just slips in the filler neck in the trunk, think catheter, then you just pump away. Biggest issue with this is you have no real idea how close you are to the top so thats why if you toss 4 gallons in when the light comes on you'd prob fill it to 80% or so.
Also while you're there make sure you grab a hot dog at the truck stop, nothing beats truck stop hot dogs.
Excellent. I’ve always considered it but feared the nozzle mechanism would be too big and geared only toward big rigs. I like the idea of getting fresh (and cheap) juice.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Thanks. I'm seeing white spots on the motor right side firewall extending down onto the ABS unit. Some wetness, too.

Dealership is clueless as to what it is.

Just where is the AdBlue pump and line??

2750 miles on the ODO.
Preposterous that the dealership doesn't know what diesel exhaust fluid is. Maybe they don't recognize dried urea, but DEF is spilled by their OWN technicians filling the DEF tank, and those same urea crystals look the same coming from the urea injection plumbing/pump!!!

DEF has been a mandatory additive for lots of cars, trucks and semi-tractor trailers literally for years. And VW has been requiring it for some models for years too! First time I had to use it on a Volkswagen was my 2013 Passat TDI. How many years ago were they selling that car?!

Show the dealership the manual for your car You know, the place where it tells you why you need to keep the "Adblue" level full, and WHERE TO DO IT. Show them the official VW part number for Adblue.

Last edited:

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
Excellent. I’ve always considered it but feared the nozzle mechanism would be too big and geared only toward big rigs. I like the idea of getting fresh (and cheap) juice.
I just filled up at the pump a couple weeks ago, easy as can be using the pump at the truck stops. Only thing to mention is that the nozzle is stored upright so I would suggest dumping out whatever fluid is sitting in it so you dont dump it on the side of the car like I did when you go to insert it. But ya works just like a fuel pump, I didnt try to see if it shuts itself off though, instead I just listened for it to start gurgling and then took it out before it had a chance to overflow or anything.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just filled up at the pump a couple weeks ago, easy as can be using the pump at the truck stops. Only thing to mention is that the nozzle is stored upright so I would suggest dumping out whatever fluid is sitting in it so you dont dump it on the side of the car like I did when you go to insert it. But ya works just like a fuel pump, I didnt try to see if it shuts itself off though, instead I just listened for it to start gurgling and then took it out before it had a chance to overflow or anything.

How much did you squeeze in and how many miles before fill?

Still at dealer fill at 9600 miles, no light on yet.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Any concerns about the cleanliness or quality of truck stop DEF? I have read on other forums some BMW and Dodge trucks have many failures when not using "virgin" bottle DEF. Could be unique to those set ups?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They prob would have the same issues with diesel sold at the same stations.

There's a couple near me that sell at the pump, one of them is near a mall and probably doesn't get used a whole heck of a lot. The other two are specific truck stops next to the highway that seem to have a very high turn over.

With the number of OTR trucks needing DEF and how much they take per fill, I have no doubt its refilled almost each month, and probably only going to go up.

Def can't freeze the truck stop dispensing rigs are heated/insulated.

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
My dealer added AdBlue at my first 10,000 mile service. No low level warning was shown.

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
About 90% of my driving is doing 80 mph on the highway, I am thinking that is why I am only getting just over 6k miles on a DEF tank.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
post-fix? or original emissions setup??

I was told that the amount of urea injected was changed during the modifications, and the injection system uses more now. I did not notice anyone including whether their MK7 was modified or not here. My 2013 Passat sipped the stuff meagerly in 2013-2014, and I got way past 10k on the original fill...but with modification? must be less.

I will go ahead and get a bottle of DEF and keep it in the garage. Only at about 5600 miles, but better keep it on hand, just in case.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Industry standard DEF consumption is 3% of fuel consumed. 100 gallons of fuel should be about 3 gallons of DEF.

In the 2012 - 2014 Passats with DEF, actual consumption is more like 1%, which is why they fail
NOx emissions tests. More about that in the emissions scandal thread.​

For those of you monitoring your AdBlue consumption, please note it as % of fuel consumption so that we have a standard to use for comparison.

.... Thanks for this info

.... just passed 6,000 miles

.... guesstimating less than 45 MPG ~~ idiot meter

.... If I fully understand the Adblue tank capacity, I'm OK for a while longer

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My car (post-fix new purchase) used 1.67 gallons of DEF and 179.5 gallons of fuel in its first 10,000 miles driven. So that’s just a hair under 1% DEF to fuel consumed.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't industry standard around 2-3%? So much for people freaking out about the fix needing to refill the DEF tank every time you refuel, and costing $$$$.

I'm gonna let the first fill go 15K and see if we get an alarm, then I'll top it off.

Last edited:

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I'm coming up on 60k on the odometer and I still don't even know what the "low DEF" warning indicator looks like. It's never come on. I even took a 2,000 mile road trip this summer averaging around 75 mph all highway, with a fully loaded car, 3 passengers, a roof top tent mounted on the roof, and a hitch mounted carrier. If there was any increased consumption, I haven't noticed.

I'm 1,000 miles out from my second oil change since getting the fix and if there is a significant DEF consumption increase I haven't noticed. I only have my car as a reference but it doesn't sound normal to have the low DEF warning come on if you're topping off the DEF every 10k miles

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm coming up on 60k on the odometer and I still don't even know what the "low DEF" warning indicator looks like. It's never come on. I even took a 2,000 mile road trip this summer averaging around 75 mph all highway, with a fully loaded car, 3 passengers, a roof top tent mounted on the roof, and a hitch mounted carrier. If there was any increased consumption, I haven't noticed.
I'm 1,000 miles out from my second oil change since getting the fix and if there is a significant DEF consumption increase I haven't noticed. I only have my car as a reference but it doesn't sound normal to have the low DEF warning come on if you're topping off the DEF every 10k miles
Could be variable. I think these cars are individually tuned because of normal variation and differences in off the shelf component parts. Kerma TDI modifies your stock tune instead of completely erasing and overlaying a new tune. I suspect it preserves individually unique look up tables and constants generated when your car is setup by VW.

I got a 2.5 gallon bottle of DEF in the garage now. It will sit there until the low DEF light appears. We'll see. The clock is ticking now.