B20 Minnesota Biodiesel Mandate

Kai

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon manual; 2006 Jetta TDI sedan manual
http://www.redwoodfallsgazette.com/...e-increases-is-on-scheduled-to-meet-2015-goal
Not sure if this has already been posted and discussed. If so, sorry. If not, please enter this into the discussion about VW authorizing B20 in their TDIs. Note that Minnesota is gradually increasing the mandate from 5% to 10% on the way up to 20% in 2015. The ramifications for auto manufacturers who sell diesel cars in Minnesota would obviously be clear?

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
That artcile is outdated and incorrect. MN is not moving to B10 on May 1st, 2012.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
It still doesn't address the question for people with CR engines that can only take up to B5 (by VW standards). Eventually B10/B20 and so on will be the norm. What will people do in those instances? I think most of us own TDIs for their longevity.

Here in Oklahoma, even B5 is virtually non existent (From my research anyway, please correct me if I am wrong). Taking Loves Country store as an example, they do have some B9-B11 pumps in certain areas around here, but that is already over the recommended B5. I have put 1/2 of B11 in and 1/2 D2 in just to get some some bio through the system, but at some point, with many people not paying attention to the recommended guidelines from VW, this is going to cause an issue.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
It still doesn't address the question for people with CR engines that can only take up to B5 (by VW standards). Eventually B10/B20 and so on will be the norm. What will people do in those instances? I think most of us own TDIs for their longevity.

Here in Oklahoma, even B5 is virtually non existent (From my research anyway, please correct me if I am wrong). Taking Loves Country store as an example, they do have some B9-B11 pumps in certain areas around here, but that is already over the recommended B5. I have put 1/2 of B11 in and 1/2 D2 in just to get some some bio through the system, but at some point, with many people not paying attention to the recommended guidelines from VW, this is going to cause an issue.
Assuming VW wants to continue selling diesel cars in Minnesota they will have no choice but to change their stance on the B5 minimum. They have known for years that these changes were coming so I don't see how they will be able to deny claims in the future for cars that were sold under the current B5 levels. I guess we and VW have now have been given another year to see how this plays out.

jimtuul

TDI
2006 duramax, 2004 Golf
It isn't a issue of VW changing their stance on B5 as a minimum. They will need to reengineer their fuel systems and after treatment systems. I don't see them spending that kind of money. I believe they are banking on the second generation "biofuels" technology to catch up. Then again I don't see the 2nd generation fuels getting off the ground. The 3rd generation (algae) I believe is the way to go, but that is several years away. http://solazyme.com/ this seems to be the most promising company working with algae so far.

jimtuul

TDI
2006 duramax, 2004 Golf
Correct... but the government could get interested and make it 20. Think about what the car companies have gone through over the past 10 years. They have been forced to dump extra millions into engineering to meet emissions. The economy has took it's toll. They haven't been able to take a break and let a car make them some money. I don't see VW dumping money into engineering a retrofit for cars in one state.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess we and VW have now have been given another year to see how this plays out.
Correct, the B10 mandate has been pushed out, it will not be implemented in 2012.

fjhil1

TDI
2012 VW Golf
Illinois Mandate

Illinois has a B5 mandate and any diesel containing B11 or higher is exempt from Illinois state taxes. Try finding straight diesel in Illinois :mad: VW needs to address this but when I ask my local VW dealer I just get the glassed-over-eyes thousand mile stare.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
You need to talk to the service manager and have them get in contact (or get you in contact) with your VWoA regional representative if you want any sort of cogent response to your inquiry.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
If you don't live local to soy fields or rapeseed fields or Canola fields, it's pointless to run recycled unknown quantity waste stock vegetable oil based biodiesel in your car. There is no way to certify fuel made out of garbage when the base stock is unknown. Forget about it west of the Rockies in the Western United States.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
Illinois has a B5 mandate and any diesel containing B11 or higher is exempt from Illinois state taxes. Try finding straight diesel in Illinois :mad: VW needs to address this but when I ask my local VW dealer I just get the glassed-over-eyes thousand mile stare.
No B5 mandate in Illinois. There are still stations with straight diesel. It's pretty much either 11% or 0%. Just make sure the it doesn't have that little blue label on it.

TSegert

TDI
Jetta 2009
Mr Tom

Can't find any non-bio diesel on the Illinois side around St. LOUIS for my 2009 Jetta TDI. Luckily I can drive across the river a ways (15 Miles) to Missouri to fill up. Cum MPG for 54K miles is 39.96.

turborip

Hey Tsegert, We have a simular problem here in Tennessee.I go to walmart the pump is stickerd B5-B11,the next time a new sticker is B5-B10, Friday the sticker was removed completely. Their supplier must have different sources and they are using the cheapest price. Go figure.:)

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Where is this info at? I know for a fact that a local MotoMart just posted some BioDiesel stickers that say, "may contain 5 - 20 % BioDiesel". We have been using this station for months now, and then they do this. I've already emailed VWoA about this, but I'll be damned if I have to drive to StL for fuel every time.

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
California has new carbon emissions requirements that go into effect on Jan. 1, 2013. This new requirements are pretty much going to require going to statewide biodiesel perhaps as high as B20. VW will have to do something if California mandates more than B20 since the market is so large.