Any ideas my friends????????????????????

M

mickey

Hmmm. My Bug has a wind noise problem, but that's a result of the "cute" aerodynamics. The door seals are tight. Are you sure it's an actual air leak? If so, then VW has to fix it. Period. Accept no excuses! If it's external noise, from the wind swirling around the mirror (for example) then it's just a function of the car's design. Turn the stereo up louder! Plastic wind deflectors around the door edge might help, too. (In fact, that might be a good solution if there IS an air leak, depending on where the leak is.)

Remember: If air can get in, so can rain. No way you have to put up with that in a brand new car! Make 'em fix it or give you a new vehicle. Leaky weatherstripping is a manufacturing defect.

-mickey

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
Wind noise is not a problem with out 99 A4 Jetta.
If you spray water on the windows, does water come in? Maybe you could narrow it down that way.
You don't have recirulation mode on? That might cause some noise, maybe, by raising the interior air pressure and pressing out on the doors.
I've heard that you could put some sticky-back weather stripping on the doors.
On an older VW, I think the 88, there was a space between the mirror and the window that caused wind noise and when I put a piece of foam there, it went away.

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
My new Y2K Jetta has had a persistent wind noise especially in a crosswind situation since we picked it up. The dealer has replaced the inner door seal AND the inner window seal and the noise persits. He says he has maxed the adjustments on the B-pillar for the door. Any ideas. This is drving us nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can the brackets at the base of the Apillar in the door that hinge be adjusted to bring the door tighter to the body.
Mexican build assembly!!!
Love the car and love the gang here in the Forum. Need some advice though... Mickey and company , are you out there???
TDIsmokin
Claude

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
I drove a few of them before I bought and never heard this noise. It is definitely in the area above the mirror along the inside of the door and it is annoying in a crosswind. Stereo increases wont do it on this one Mickey. I have lots of cars and none have this type of noise. Do any of you know if the front of the drivers door can be brought in a Millimeter or 2 closer to the body of the car through adjustment.??
I am lobbying my dealer and he says he has done about as much as he can do. He has been greta on service and attention but the 2 mechanics there are a little stumped.
If you drive West and have a stiff North breeze hitting the car it is howling inside the car at the driver door /window.
Any more comments would be appreciated.
TDIsmokin
Claude

BigAl

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 99.5, Green
I had a new noise on my wife's van. A mechanic told me to run some masking tape over the seams and opening until the noise went away. Then remove a bit at a time until you pinpoint the area. Just make sure you use the good tape that peals off easy.

M

mickey

If the body seams are even then no adjustment is necessary. Unless one of the body stampings is actually askew, which is hard to imagine, it's still just a door seal issue. Try BigAl's method and see if you can isolate the problem for them. And carefully compare the gaskets to the ones on another identical vehicle. Make sure you don't have a defective gasket due to a molding problem of some kind.

-mickey

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
Guess who solved the problem. I did.!!
I asked the mechanic to loosen the pins that hold the door at the hinge and move the door closer to the body and Presto!!!
They seemed nervous to do it but those hinges ARE adjutable on the front doors anyways. Seems to be 80% gone.
Thanks for all your help guys...
Just switched to Delvac1 today at 5000 miles/8000kms. We have 5000 miles in 5 weeks!!!!!!!!!
TDIsmokin
Claude

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
Hey Blaupunkt,
Immediate difference in noise when I start it in the AM. Less Clack/clack sound when you initially start these beauties.
Seems to smoke less but this may be the additive I use.
Have not run through a tank yet to see if mileage improves . Will notify If I notice.
I was talking with TDIJimmy today and he said he spotted Delvac1 in Walmart in Missisauga on the shelf!!!
Bravo. Go 10,000 kms with filter change at 5000kms and oil and filter at 10,000kms. Proof is in my driveway. 416,000 kms on my Camry, 92 4cyl, using Mobil1 and still running REAL strong.
TDIsmokin
Claude