BRM Turbo Actuator Replacement

flyvsdrive

TDI
2005.5 Jetta (MKV BRM)
I've been looking for a couple of days through the forums and I can't seem to find a definite answer on this one, so I figured I'd fire up a new thread.
The actuator on my MK5 BRM KKK Borg Warner turbo no longer holds vacuum. No CEL, but a stored code of "Intermittent low boost pressure". Basically, with this low vane angle, the turbo only begins to make normal boost above 2300 or so RPM.

I've checked N75, it's requesting full boost (20" vacuum). I've checked the line from the N75 to the actuator, no leaks. The actuator arm moves freely from stop to stop. Only when I connect my vacuum pump directly to the actuator do I get 0" vacuum. So, it's a big leak. Torn diaphragm I guess?

So, I have two questions:

1.) Has anyone out there found a direct replacement for this specific actuator? I'd rather replace it alone rather than the whole turbo since the turbo has no problems. All I can find so far is the whole package (manifold, turbo, actuator - $1000 - $1300 range).

2.) Why isn't the CEL coming on or a code being stored saying that the actuator arm isn't moving? It's got a sensor on it. I would think if the ECU tells the N75 to move the arm and the arm doesn't move, that the ECU should say "what gives??" and throw on a light or store a code. However, since this isn't happening, it makes me think that the sensor is there but that the ECU isn't monitoring it's position. Kind of like the engineers thought they were going to use it but at the last minute decided they didn't need it. Anyone know if the ECU really looks at the actuator sensor position? If not, I can potentially just get a random vacuum actuator from Forge or someone and just leave my smart actuator connected but lay it off to the side elsewhere in the engine compartment.

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Interesting thought.
I know the ECU is fed the position and monitors it, but I do not know how it uses the information.
You can read the position in measuring block 43 field 2, if I remember correctly.
On some ECUs you can also monitor the position feedback in one of the Engine Output tests.

flyvsdrive

TDI
2005.5 Jetta (MKV BRM)
Thanks Dan. I'll have to have a look at that next time the vag-com is connected.

Perhaps the ECU only looks at it's position if there is an overboost condition to see where it is. As long as system boost is low, it doesn't seem to mind where it's positioned. I can move it anywhere manually and no CEL. Of course while I'm moving it, boost remains low as the engine is only at idle.

Anyone else know how the ECU utilizes the information sent from the actuator's position sensor? Has anyone been successful in changing out only the actuator on a Borg Warner?

Thanks

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I would also like to know what the vane position sensor is actually used for. I think it's used to partly determine the egr duty cycle but I have no evidence yet.

cdutton

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI,
When engine is warm after driving a hour or two when going up hills or inclines turbo cuts out. Let it sit for a while and it works again. seem like it might be getting more often but seems like going up hill triggers the problem.
This site is a life saver.
Thanks Chris

Cliffman

Veteran Member
TDI
None Yet!
Can someone post instructions on how to R&R the actuator on a BRM. I understand it's a PITA but can be done.