mileage for 05 TDI wagon vs Jetta wagon

2dokas

TDI
AHU in Syncro Westy and 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
We are considering an 05 TDI wagon and was looking at the mileage. Seems significantly lower than the Jetta TDI wagon. I was wondering if the difference is the new engine (more horsepower=lower mileage) or just the weight?

By the way, any ideas if the Passat TDI wagon is available with 4motion?

thanks,

peter

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Peter,

The Jetta TDI Wagon and the Passat TDI Wagon are vastly different vehicles. The Jetta Wagon is much smaller and more along the lines of a Ford Focus Wagon whereas the Passat TDI Wagon is larger and more roomier. The Passat TDI Wagon is about the same size as the Subaru Outback Wagon.

The Jetta Wagon is available with a 5 speed manual or an automatic transmission, whereas the Passat TDI only comes with the 5 speed auto/tiptronic.

You can not buy the Passat TDI in a 4 motion.

We have an Outback Wagon and a Honda Pilot for foul weather and everyday hard use and we tend to use the TDI Passat in nicer weather as our long distance fuel mizer.

The Outback 4 cylinder, non-turbo (old body style 2000-2004) gets roughly 22-23 and thr mileage is pretty much the same for the Honda Pilot.

The Passat TDI Wagon is currently giving us about 41-42 on the open road 75-80 mph and it gives us around 32 around town. Noticeably more torque and much better on fuel!

Hope this helps.

Deming

tdi1

I have been averaging better than the 38 m.p.g. highway mileage on an 04 Passat wagon. I drove from West Virginia to western North Carolina which is a lot of up/down hill driving and received the following m.p.g. Trip down 39.3 m.p.g., driving aroud sightseeing 35.5, return trip 39.6. Thsi trip was with three adults and lots of luggage and the var only had 2200 miles on it at start of trip. I am assuming the fuel mileage will improve as the VW gets a few more miles on it. These are great cars

2dokas

TDI
Thanks, we are looking for something to use everyday and snow and ice are a real issue in Spokane in winter. Do you see the 05 as having lower fuel economy compared to the 04 due to the larger engine?

peter

tdi1

Correct me if I am wrong, but to the best of my knowledgr an 04 and an 05 Passat have the same engine.

2dokas

TDI
I was under the impression that the 04 has the same engine as the jetta/bug at 100hp while the 05 has the 135hp higher pressure injection.

Additionally the wagon was not available as a tdi in 04 so any 04 would have been a sedan or a german/european model.

peter

2dokas

TDI
just checked the vw of america site and the 04 has the 135hp engine so you are right about that, thanks, but I guess I am still interested how well it pushes the wagon which it is new in..

peter

2dokas

TDI
I guess the other issue which might make a better thread is the cost of Diesel. Our local "gas" station said that his cost was going up 4 cents per day and when the next truck came in the cost was going up to about 2.60 a gal.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
dokas, the Passat TDI returned to the US and Canda in late '04 as a sedan and a wagon. The wagons are much rarer.

Both the '04 and the '05 have the exact same 136hp 2.0L PD engine, bolted to the manditory ZF-built 5 speed automatic. Their fuel economy should be identical, and like the above posters my Passat easily can exceed the 38 MPG posted on the sticker.

We were waiting for an '04 wagon, but opted for the last sedan brought to our dealership. We had a chance to buy an '04 wagon but could not stomach the gross color combo it had, so we let it go.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
just checked the vw of america site and the 04 has the 135hp engine so you are right about that, thanks, but I guess I am still interested how well it pushes the wagon which it is new in..peter
The 2.0 PD (135 hp and 277 ft lb.torque) engine has no problems pushing our 2005 Passat Wagon down the road. It really has impressive snap and performance. Acutally this German TDI technology is really unbelievable.

As far as winter driving, we can not elaborate, because we have never driven this car in the snow or foul weather. We plan on storing the Passat TDI this winter and relying on our Outback Wagon and our Honda Pilot, both of which offer all wheel drive stability and significantly more ground clearance. We get a hefty amount of snow here in the Midwest and as much as we love the Passat, we will feel more comfortable with the all wheel drive.

Just my .02

Deming

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Never driven our Passat in any snow, but they do have the full deal of EDL, ESP, ABS, ASR, ETC.
That would likely help. Also, the Passat is rather heavy, and its "cab forward" arrangement puts a fair amount of weight over the front wheels.

tdi1

The mileage I was describing eariler was from a 2004 Passat TDI wagon not a sedan. I hope this is some help. These are great cars.