2.5 Tdi A4 B5 time - what to look for/options

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
On Thursday my Audi A3 1.9 tdi was rear ended and then also forced into another car....will drop a few pics below but suspect chassis is bent and although ironically I have a spare A3 (1.8t) that was my parts car for totally refurbishing and swapping every piece of suspension I think it's time to call it a day and get a 2.5 A4 Advant.

Pics here for those interested

I've done some reading on the 2.5's and I think it has to be a B5 A4 advant at 1430ish KG vs the slightly newer one that balloons to over 1600kg or the A6/A6 All Road that jumps to 17-1800kg.

The questions would be any particular engine codes to avoid? Things to be aware of?

And then once I get one what the options are on nozzles for these atm and this I gather is a bit of a fun area.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
If it's b5 you after then the avant is close to 1600 Kg, the lighter saloons FWD are ok on a run but struggle to put the power on the road. I would look for a Quattro regardless and swap all together the engine- the AFB/AKN is prone to camshaft wear especially if the car was on Longlife servicing ! With a gtb2260vk turbo kit and large nozzles 300 Bhp is a breeze !

If you're looking for a project then I have a late facelift black estate with a 300 Bhp engine, brand new injector pump, race nozzles, Sachs SRE clutch and I could throw in a gtb2260vk turbo kit as well. The car needs a new lift pump in the tank as someone been butchering it before when chassing an intermittent starting issue which was cured by the new pump ! The car was mint when i put it in the garage however it gathered a few dents along the 2 years I had it so it will need a few panels resprayed ! All the power ingredients are there: BDH 180 Bhp engine from late a4 b6 fully rebuilt with potted heads, lower CR, solid genuine camshafts £1300 from TPS), new timing belt kit and much more. The car has eibach pro suspension and new rear shocks + a stainless steel exhaust which was done by the previous owner- not impressed with the work though ! i also have a tidy saloon with cream heated leather- lost interest so up for grabs ?! I am down London if you more details then drop me a pm !

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are also interested in later b6 models then I have a few b6 quattros in very good nick: one is a early 2001 saloon the other is a 2003 avant. Both have updated shocks/springs, stainless exhausts, leather trim, alloy wheels and have upgraded intercoolers, the estate has a hybrid turbo and both are mapped ! The saloon is a very high spec with heated leather front and back, cruise, DIS and a power flow stainless steel exhaust !

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
PM'd

Also thanks for the weight comment - I know my A3 is 1250kg with me (a 90kg guy) and half tank of diesel in it which comes close to parkers 1160kg guide dry weight.

Yea my A3 literally was getting nozzles and the ECU fitted had I not been shunted thursday night! I'd lost the new crush washers and finally got new ones not to mention the fact I got a 1.8t for a bunch of parts .... but yea at 125-135 bhp depending oh where I had the EVRY mod with the best 195/65/15 tyres I could get I could still break grip so new moving up I'd need to feather more or go bigger tyres.
That leads me onto the Quattro being the "logical" move whilst getting something I can actually put people and a real boot full of stuff into.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Just thought I'd follow up here - I ended up picking up the B6 2.5 TDI Adams had, was good to meet him and am enjoying the car.

I'm hoping to start this car's journey to 300bhp soon enough - a few small things needed sorting for the MOT and a few niggles remain - oddly enough tuning/replacing bits might sort these out.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I did answer to your other post mate, I am back in U.K. For a while so if you need any help please get in touch ! Regards,
Chris