2011 tdi cam install (timing)

IamMrMike

TDI
2011 Jetta tdi
Who knows the correct position of both cams for initial timing. This is for a mk 6 jetta tdi that was partially torn apart and the cams are new. Please only the initial timing configuration, I don't need did you do this or that. I am only looking for the timing configuration for tdc. Thanks.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Relax. Were not going to take your brain around the patch over this although I see some fail in your future given your attitude and your approach. On these cars, you cannot just line up the cams and be "good to go". You will probably cause some serious damage. Do you have the correct timing tools?

I think this is what you need. Chitty will probably want a small donation for parts 2 and 3. A real bargain if you ask me. Part 3 is what you need.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/cbea-cjaa-vw-jetta-golf-jsw-tdi-timing-belt-removal-part-1/

Last edited:

IamMrMike

TDI
2011 Jetta tdi
Thanks for the reply. I dont need timing belt install. Exactly why i asked how i did. I wanted camshaft setuo initial timing. Replacing camshaft. But in answer to what you said about me lasting....I have asked countless sites, people and techs. Everybody always comes up with what did you, why did you when did you and every other question not concerning my question. I only put that out to get the answer first.
As far as special tools. No I don't need them. I have been working on diesels for a long time. Most people need them. I have been changing timing belts on everything from 97 tdis up to my 2011 jetta tdi. I have never had the need to use specialty tools for that job.
But thanks for the link.

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
You're getting the same response in all places because that IS the appropriate answer to your question. Just because you're not physically replacing the belt, doesn't make it any less of a "timing belt job". What you're doing is 90% of a timing belt job. The link posted above is the answer and I suspect you'll get the same response from everybody here as well. Any other method is risky. I understand your frustration, but if you don't like the answer then you're on your own.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think you're getting the same response because you're asking the question like an asshat and you don't know what you're doing with the car. Get a proper manual for the car you're working on and it will answer your question.

So the two cams each have their own TDC lock down. The exhaust uses the PD method of a keyed cam sprocket and a pin. The intake uses the VE method of a bar and slot in the end of the camshaft. I don't know how but the shims I ended up using were exactly the same as specified in my Bentley.

I unfortunately don't have a picture of it but I clamped a spare intake camshaft to the exhaust camshaft using worm gear hose clamps (being absolutely careful that I didn't touch any lobes on the new camshaft with the clamps or the spare camshaft). The clamps meshed the teeth together and aligned the two split gears on the exhaust camshaft. This allowed me to easily slip the intake camshaft into place.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5059268&postcount=7

IamMrMike

TDI
2011 Jetta tdi
You're getting the same response in all places because that IS the appropriate answer to your question. Just because you're not physically replacing the belt, doesn't make it any less of a "timing belt job". What you're doing is 90% of a timing belt job. The link posted above is the answer and I suspect you'll get the same response from everybody here as well. Any other method is risky. I understand your frustration, but if you don't like the answer then you're on your own.
Obvious English was not a strong subject for you in grammer school. You clearly lack any understanding of sentences the way written. But you can be forgiven. The next post with pics of the 2 cams is the closest to answering my question. I don't see a timing belt there do you? Good luck learning about tdi's.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You're getting the same response in all places because that IS the appropriate answer to your question.

Just because you're not physically replacing the belt, doesn't make it any less of a "timing belt job". What you're doing is 90% of a timing belt job

The link posted above is the answer and I suspect you'll get the same response from everybody here as well. Any other method is risky. I understand your frustration, but if you don't like the answer then you're on your own.
John, I fixed your post so that even Mr. Mike could read it.

Actually, the link I posted has the answer. Of course Mr. Mike would have to be able to read and understand it.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/cbea-cjaa-vw-jetta-golf-jsw-tdi-timing-belt-removal-part-1/

And as I said, Mr. Mike needs part 3......................

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Thanks, the closest yet but no cigar asshat.
Seriously, who Pissed in your Cheerios????????????

What does a closet have to do with your issue? Do you have tendency you are not ready the share with the world yet?

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Obvious English was not a strong subject for you in grammer school. You clearly lack any understanding of sentences the way written. But you can be forgiven. The next post with pics of the 2 cams is the closest to answering my question. I don't see a timing belt there do you? Good luck learning about tdi's.
You spelled grammar wrong. Good luck in life.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Not contributing to a very pointless argument, but IamMrMike, these people are trying to help you. Anything that seems to brush you in a weird way, you get defensive and start insulting and attacking. I'm surprised these people actually helped you, your attitude is what gives many internet forums a bad name.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
All kidding aside Mr. Mike, you are welcome here because helping other members is what we do...................