Arizona Settlement and Payout

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
Looks like the state of Arizona settled separately with VW. Owners may be getting additional money from the state. Interesting....

No details yet on what the qualifications will be or when the payouts may happen.

http://tucson.com/news/local/volksw...cle_7d56e1f0-7821-52fb-8b3e-d85e3c28c441.html
Nice!

If it were Texas, they'd reach a settlement that is 5 times as much and not pay a penny to the affected consumers: https://www.dallasnews.com/business...uring-spend-209-million-volkswagen-settlement

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The only one that really wins are the lawyers. Do the math

40 mill settled,

10,000 owners will get approx 1,000 each, thats only 10 million.

State gets 20 million to pad their budget.

The rest 10 mill goes to legal fees and a slush fund managed by the state to investigate additional frauds.

"An additional $20 million is going into the state general fund. Attorney General Mark Brnovich said these dollars will be used to help fund the increased aid for public education.

What’s left over will pay the state’s legal fees and also go into an account the attorney general can use to investigate future consumer fraud claims of any kind."

Lot of boats will be named "Das Auto" in the US.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Legal fees....

What sort of legal fees can be incurred by the state when the US Government says "XXX corporation will pay each state $YYY dollars".

All the state has to do is say "Derp, OK."

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Did you read the article?

"Brnovich said Arizona is the first state to obtain direct consumer restitution from Volkswagen through its own litigation."

This is separate from the US Government settlement. They used their own suit and staff to get this.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I didn't read the article, but can we infer from this that AZ owners received $0 compensation so far from the buyback settlement?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I imagine that AZ got buyback or restitution as everyone else, now they may be also getting a cherry on top.

My understanding the State AZ AG prob spent tax payers money to file suit and are now expecting a larger windfall than the owners.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They get the settlement money and the AZ money in addition to anything already received, according to the article. But the state gets the lions share of the money.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Arizona owners were included in the federal settlement and received fixes, restitution and buybacks like all of the other states. This is a separate settlement, similar to the Bosch settlement that will add additional dollars for Arizona owners. No doubt the state got the biggest chunk of money compared to consumers. Seems a bit like a money grab given that the owners only get about a 1/4 of the money whereas the state gets 3/4. Out of $40 million, $10.5 million will go to owners or approx $1,000 per vehicle, $20 million will go into the general fund (probably will help cover our recent 20% raise we just promised teachers), and the remainder $9.5 million goes to legal fees and to plus up the AG's consumer protection fund. There are no details yet on what the requirements to receive compensation are. It could be simply anyone who has an approved VW claim, or might be original purchasers only. Given they approached this as a consumer fraud case based on false advertising, it might be restricted to only owners who purchased their vehicles in Arizona. It might get tricky. What about someone who lived in AZ when they purchased, but executed a buyback in California? Or vice versa, what if they purchased in Cali, but now live in AZ. How about people who might have moved to AZ after performing a buyback? Are they going to be eligible. This is probably going to get complicated very fast. I may benefit from this settlement, but still feel this was a money grab by the State's lawyers. Here are some more details.

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/...-million-volkswagen-consumer-fraud-settlement

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Every state will want to do this now. Both my eligible TDI’s were bought in Georgia, a state I have never resided in. We’ll see how this plays out.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Unless there is language in the settlement restricting certain states from suing, whether it's too late to file would be restricted by each state's statute of limitations.

I understand the appeal in interpreting this as a money grab; it's also true that the states will incur higher costs over time due to VW's fraudulent behavior because higher emissions are moderating variables on health issues and crime rates.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
Unless there is language in the settlement restricting certain states from suing, whether it's too late to file would be restricted by each state's statute of limitations.

I understand the appeal in interpreting this as a money grab; it's also true that the states will incur higher costs over time due to VW's fraudulent behavior because higher emissions are moderating variables on health issues and crime rates.
Yes, I too fear that owning a TDI will turn me to a life of crime

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I don't know but would imagine the document they signed accepting the money precluded any further action that wasn't already in progress. Someone would have to do some reading of all the documents. It hasn't exactly been a secret that AZ had their own suit and it would seem if they could get millions of $'s they would have been all over it already.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I too fear that owning a TDI will turn me to a life of crime

TDI is a gateway drug, soon you'll want a Detroit diesel 2 stroke and slide it in a a suburban.

yes, in the perfect world, I'd be able to convince the wife we need to have such contraption.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
Woo Hoo!!! We bought the 3.0 after selling the 2-2.0's. It would be cool to get it x 3! Just the 2.0's is pretty sweet tho...

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Last edited:

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
tsingtao, Did you buy your TDI new in Arizona? Reading what is posted on the website, it seems to indicate that only the original purchaser of the vehicle is eligible and also only if the car was purchased in Arizona.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
tsingtao, Did you buy your TDI new in Arizona? Reading what is posted on the website, it seems to indicate that only the original purchaser of the vehicle is eligible and also only if the car was purchased in Arizona.

Yes, I purchased it in Arizona.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
Woo Hoo!!! We bought the 3.0 after selling the 2-2.0's. It would be cool to get it x 3! Just the 2.0's is pretty sweet tho...
Got my letter for #1 today! Letter states 2.0L TDI registered with ADOT on Sept 18th 2015 or 3.0L TDI on Nov 2nd 2015. We got 1/2 of the settlement on the 3.0 due to the previous owner filing too.

It does state up to $1000, and we bought all three in AZ used, I believe it is the ownership on the above dates. You can bet I'll call the number and ask about the 3.0, I don't think we owned it yet at that date... I won't be to pissed if we get only another $2000, not sure when we bought the second 2.0 so more to come.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like we will just get paid for one. If the place we bought it from gets the money (a used car dealer) gets to collect they will rake it in, I would guess they had 20-30 in the lot.

DHud13

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition 6MT
Got my letter this past weekend, and sent the claim form yesterday.

Postmark deadline is November 26th, so checks will probably be sent out in December or January. Christmas or Birthday Bonus for Me!

I will need to do some research on what "payment of up to $1,000" really means. The letter and the claim form did not provide any specific information on how they determine what the amount will be: i.e. total settlement amount divided by the number of owner claims, length of ownership, age of vehicle, etc. They only provide an address and phone number for the Claims Administrator.

16volt

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I just got my letter today, I had no idea that the state of Arizona was suing VW. It sucks that most of the money is going to the state of Arizona vs the consumers. But I guess I am happy to get more money for mine.

So I bought my VW Golf TDI in 2014 for
$13,000
-1000 Visa and $500 parts

-5100 Emissions fix.

----------
$6900

-1000 maybe another $1000 but I am guessing less since mine is a 2010
---------

$5900

Maybe the best car I ever bought, maybe I can use the extra money for a Malone Stage 2 tune, since mine was neutered after the emissions fix.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
Check for $964 today for one of them, can't be too bummed with a cool grand but it doesn't appear we are getting paid for the other two. Oh well!

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
Check for $964 today for one of them, can't be too bummed with a cool grand but it doesn't appear we are getting paid for the other two. Oh well!

Got mine (same amount $964) yesterday.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't forget to thank Bosch for their complacently and enabling VW of the fraud.