Key fob/Door Lock problem

2003golftd1

TDI
2003 VW Golf GL
I have an 03 Golf. Recently, the key fob has stopped opening all the door locks and now only opens the driver's door. Once inside, though, I can open all the door locks from any of the inside buttons. Has anyone seen this before? What's the fix? :confused:

Thanks!!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Just a guess, but if the batteries in the fob were getting old, they might only have enough juice for one keypress, and the second one for the rest of the doors is too weak for the car's receiver to pick up.

I don't know if this is your problem, it is just a possibility. You could test the hypothesis by locking and unlocking the door with the fob several times in succession. If it can do that, then my theory is wrong.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Disconnect battery and touch the wires together to short out any stored charge in the car.

Re-connect the battery and you should be good to go...I had to do this a couple months ago when I had to boost my car to start it. After the boost only the drivers side door would unlock.

There are a few thread about this...but I am too lazy to do the search for you.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
2003golftd1 said:
Brilliant! Your suggestion was spot on. Thanks!!!
__. I'm glad that it works for you but it seems a bodge to me. There is a way with VCDS to set whether one click or two makes the other doors unlock. It's a pity you didn't record where the "black box" was set before.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I would assume that VCDS would show the original settings...but your right, I wonder if the ECU set the incorrect settings when the battery gets low or dies.

Crossing the battery leads would only set the ECU to "factory defaults"

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
cleaver said:
I would assume that VCDS would show the original settings.. (snip)
__. Nope, VCDS will not show the Secret Key Code. It will let you encode it (what the procedure calls "initialization") but it won't show it. You need a software package called "VAG-Tacho" for that. There is full info in this in the other threads. A search will pull them up.