Flat towing?

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Does anyone here have any experience towing an A4 Golf with all four wheels down behind a motorhome? I have seen it done, but have never talked to anyone about it.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
If the Golf has a manual gearbox, there should be no problem, but if it is an automatic, forget it, you'll burn up the tranny. And for what it is worth, I know of no makes of vehicle for which that isn't true.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I forgot to mention that it is a manual.

There are several makes of vehicles with automatic transmissions that can be flat towed. They include the Suzuki Sidekick or whatever it's called now, and the Honda CRV. Honda specifies a particular procedure before towing and warns that damage can occur if the procedure is not followed.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
mavapa said:
Does anyone here have any experience towing an A4 Golf with all four wheels down behind a motorhome? I have seen it done, but have never talked to anyone about it.
Bentley service manual recommends no more than 50 miles at 50mph or less for front wheels down towing of the a4-platform Golf with a manual transmission. For automatic transmission, the recommendation is don't (0 miles / 0mph).

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
mavapa said:
Go take a peek here and search for TOADS and maybe join and ask that question there:

http://irv2.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=8076099152

I thought the recent TOAD of choice was either a Saturn or Honda; can't say I have ever seen a VW TOAD.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I look at some of the RV forums. Saturns and Hondas are, indeed, favorite toads. So are Suzukis. But I have seen a few late-model VWs under tow. We have a Honda CRV that would probably be our toad, but I might also like to tow the Golf at times.

TDIMK4GUY

TDI
02 reflex silver golf
Proud owner of a 02 golf toad here.. lol.. It rarely sees the rear end of the motor home anymore since i took it back from my mother. but its been set up to be towed behind the family rig. I wasnt aware that the recomended tow speed was 50 for it. we've towed it well above that and had no problems at all. Hope we didnt do any damage but it doesnt appear so. They probably said that to cover there butts if it were to get unstable, since some people think a tow strap is suitable lol

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Apparently some car makers don't specifically approve their products to be flat towed mainly to avoid liability. In some cases they also apparently respond to individual requests for information but warn that damage would not be covered by warrantee. Of course that's not a problem for my 2001 Golf.