EGR repacement

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
Hi guys have not been here in ages, hope everyones well.

The mechanic has advised I need a new EGR valve as the CEL is on and it's throwing this code.

I will just buy a new valve. Has anyone replaced on and is there any DYI's on this or should I pay the mechanic for this hours to do this?

Cheers

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Often the EGR code may not be the valve itself. What code is being thrown? They're not that hard to do, really. But it's best to figure out if that's the actual problem.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
The mechanic said few codes were thrown in regards to EGR valve it self, the sensor etc.

The car only has 115000 Miles, could I get a way with a simple cleaning of the EGR?

Thanks for your reply.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I deleted the EGR on mine. I would recommend the delete kit that has the pipe that goes where the valve was, instead of the one which has a block off plate for the pipe because any residual oil gathers up in that pipe and will leak onto the catalytic converter and cause it to smell like burning oil in the cab.
I had a Malone tune done to delete it in the computer.

The reason I was asking about which code for the EGR it is is that I work at a diesel shop, and get a lot of people who come in and they have an EGR code, which is actually caused by some other issue. Whether a bad wire, or clogged cooler, or even a leaking pipe.

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
I deleted the EGR on mine. I would recommend the delete kit that has the pipe that goes where the valve was, instead of the one which has a block off plate for the pipe because any residual oil gathers up in that pipe and will leak onto the catalytic converter and cause it to smell like burning oil in the cab.
I had a Malone tune done to delete it in the computer.

The reason I was asking about which code for the EGR it is is that I work at a diesel shop, and get a lot of people who come in and they have an EGR code, which is actually caused by some other issue. Whether a bad wire, or clogged cooler, or even a leaking pipe.

Thanks, but my mechanic didn't tell me the code.

Since then I've ordered the delete kit. Malone tuning has just the EGR delete Tune available. I'm not looking for any performance gains, (It's a Diesel :)

I"ll keep you all posted.