Hids

Bearsvw

TDI
2013 passat highline loaded
Ive been reading on here about this. I have them on my ram front and back. I love them. Should I put them on my car

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Ive been reading on here about this. I have them on my ram front and back. I love them. Should I put them on my car
No one can tell you that you should, but you can. It will require a complete replacement of the headlight housings and possibly some rewiring modification.
It will also set you back a lot of money.
An example on Amazon.ca

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Yeah, well just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Do your research on clowns that put hids in Stock housings, you will find out quickly why it's frowned upon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bearsvw

TDI
The truck is perfect no issuses beam is perfect doesnt blind people good height good pattern

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
For putting hids in a plain housing? Imo, for the most part, yes.
To get full advantage with hids, you need the projector.
I'm glad to see it sounds like you did readjust the alignment after installation. So that's a plus.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Bearsvw,
The Ram sport actually has a projector housing, just like the Laramie ram.
They just install a regular bulb from factory instead of HID.
Thus the HID bulbs work perfect in the RAM models that have that housing.
So you were Smart!!!! To put in HID bulbs on your RAM, thinking about it myself.

The Passats only come with regular housings and thus most hid kits reflect outside the correct beam pattern, this can cause glare for oncoming cars.

Dekeyauto has a hid bulb that helps eliminate the scatter and many have used them successfully. They still are not as good as swapping to one of the many aftermarket hid projector housings but seem to be a reasonable mix of halogen housing with hid bulb.

There are really good threads on this, both on this site and also on VWVortex under b7passat(yes it's a nms but that's what they are under)

There are a few housings coming up for sale from TDI turn ins, check the classifieds in VWVortex for a good deal on clean used housings. Or read the threads for the new housing options.

Last edited:

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
^ That's what I thought. I know some newer ones have the projector. Which isn't a problem at all to add hids.
So maybe I "jumped the gun."

Another one for diy stuff is theretrofitsource.com
And retro-solutions.net

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The projector lights started in 13 my is a 12 so regulars ligjts
Uhh...so...you're using HIDs in a halogen housing? Regardless how you aim them, they're a problem for oncoming traffic.

"Not no clown i do things right"...I'm not so sure you'll get agreement here on this statement.

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Uhh...so...you're using HIDs in a halogen housing? Regardless how you aim them, they're a problem for oncoming traffic.

"Not no clown i do things right"...I'm not so sure you'll get agreement here on this statement.
Glad I'm not the only one on this side of the "fight." Lol
Makes me wanna bash headlights when they're like that and oncoming at night.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
I might give one of these (option 3 or 4) a try depending what happens with VW Canada and Dieselgate.

Last edited:

Bearsvw

TDI
Bring it . Love to see what hsppens the loser that bashs my lights .. bring it . This is exactky why i hate these stupid sites ..

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
There was a huge thread on this a few years ago. A few guys put HIDS into the Passsat housing and it didn't blind anyone. I've been running a kit for 3 years now, no tickets, no flashing high beams at me, looked at it from far away it's fine. Before anyone digs into me, I've been doing retrofits for a few years with mainly S2000 and TSX projectors but didn't want to chop up these housings and tried a 4300k HID kit first. Would a projector offer a better beam pattern, sure but the HIDS in the stock housings perform just fine. I just lost my first bulb 3 years later and swapped in a halogen replacement for now until the new bulb shows up, forgot how poor the light output was.

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Bring it . Love to see what hsppens the loser that bashs my lights .. bring it . This is exactky why i hate these stupid sites ..
Lol
I'm not one to make "threats" to people online.
Besides, if I get into a fight it's automatic jail time for me.
Just another part of the job. And to think we fight for your freedoms......

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
There was a huge thread on this a few years ago. A few guys put HIDS into the Passsat housing and it didn't blind anyone. I've been running a kit for 3 years now, no tickets, no flashing high beams at me, looked at it from far away it's fine. Before anyone digs into me, I've been doing retrofits for a few years with mainly S2000 and TSX projectors but didn't want to chop up these housings and tried a 4300k HID kit first. Would a projector offer a better beam pattern, sure but the HIDS in the stock housings perform just fine. I just lost my first bulb 3 years later and swapped in a halogen replacement for now until the new bulb shows up, forgot how poor the light output was.
4300k wouldn't be terrible. The main problem is when people want the colored hids.
I'm surprised that you got 3 years before one blew. No drl?

Bearsvw

TDI
My job would handle the person that bashs my lights with the law. Anyway i hate sites like this that have judgemental know it alls ..

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^Not at all "...know it alls...". This site is exceptionally accurate at providing solid, experienced, and (mostly!) legal advice.
Simply because one clown called you a clown doesn't change the quality of this site. We're all clowns at times.
If you indeed "hate sites like this", simply move on.
The advice stands: Putting HIDs into a non-HID housing is a bad idea, regardless of anyone posting "no tickets", "no one flashing their lights at me"...etc, etc. They're totally different designs, and the scattered bright light does cause issues.

Bearsvw

TDI
So you read stuff make so called the right way.. with out even doing it . Knowing first hand. Kk i see

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Pushing 5 years on my HID conversion.

Like others have said, no high-beaming, tickets, excellent coverage/volume - a giant plus when driving out in the stix.

So absolutely go for it. $40 for a kit (igniters + bulbs), gets cheaper by the day and you'd also need an adapter of some sort that would hold the lights in VW's housing, few more bucks.

Takes minutes to install. I tapped into my wiring harness, as opposed to soldering, and had 0 issues.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I decided to take the time and do even more reading about HIDs in reflector housings. It appears that most newer cars, with standard halogen housing lights, can indeed accept HID bulbs w/o the same blinding issue/spread light pattern that would occur in, say, a 1990 Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. These are the types of vehicles that the nay-sayers are probably referencing when they say "no". It's obviously totally up to the lens and reflector of the vehicle itself.

What I did learn is that the reflector/HID conversion requires lowering the cut-off height of the light, which sometimes negates the advantage of the brighter light. Based on the posts above, it appears that the NMS Passat owners who have done this feel the negative effect of the lowered beam pattern doesn't outweigh the advantage of the brighter light.

I learn something new every day, even from my fellow "clowns" here at TDIClub. Thanks. Too bad that in a few weeks (I hope!) I'll no longer be an owner, but a lurker, waiting for the buyback fury/devaluation of VW cars to settle down.

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
That's good to know that technology is actually getting better. Lol

Whatever your name is bearsvw, go for it, and let us know how it turns out.

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I decided to take the time and do even more reading about HIDs in reflector housings. It appears that most newer cars, with standard halogen housing lights, can indeed accept HID bulbs w/o the same blinding issue/spread light pattern that would occur in, say, a 1990 Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. These are the types of vehicles that the nay-sayers are probably referencing when they say "no". It's obviously totally up to the lens and reflector of the vehicle itself.

What I did learn is that the reflector/HID conversion requires lowering the cut-off height of the light, which sometimes negates the advantage of the brighter light. Based on the posts above, it appears that the NMS Passat owners who have done this feel the negative effect of the lowered beam pattern doesn't outweigh the advantage of the brighter light.

I learn something new every day, even from my fellow "clowns" here at TDIClub. Thanks. Too bad that in a few weeks (I hope!) I'll no longer be an owner, but a lurker, waiting for the buyback fury/devaluation of VW cars to settle down.
Exactly, it's not a big deal, there are some specific halogen housings that if you drop in a pair of HID burners, you won't get the dazzling, dangerous blinding light as in some other ones. That Passat is like that, really. I tried the same in my 99 Maxima and instantly retrofitted TSX projectors, just because the light output was so bad and lit up the trees that it would have caused someone to get into an accident. I am really surprised how well the NMS platform handles a HID drop in kit.