2013 threw code P026A

Bam

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
My Passat threw code P026A on Friday morning. It was in the mid 20's that morning. Did a search on the forum and found it could indicate ice formation in the intercooler.
By the end of the day, it was well above freezing and took it to my mechanic. We checked for loose connections and pulled the duct off the bottom of the intercooler to look for water. There was about a teaspoon of oil in the bottom of the duct, but no water. Wiped the duct down, reinstalled everything and cleared the code. It has been in the 50's or higher since and the code continues to reoccur after clearing.
Any ideas?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
P026A - charge air cooler efficiency below threshold

There is no ice formation on the Passat's air-to-water intercooler.

Do you have a winter front on your car? Cardboard? Some other method of blocking air flow?

If not, then the issue is either with the intake air temperature sensor either misreporting, or an issue with coolant circulation through the intercooler.

The teaspoon of oil is normal, and won't cause any issues.

Bam

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
No modifications have been made to the engine or to the stock air flow.
Do you know if one can monitor the intake air temperature sensor with a Scan Gauge?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You can do it with VCDS, but I haven't (and I don't think anyone else has) figured out how to do it on a ScanGauge.

Bam

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
Okay, thanks. I'm assuming it's a sensor. The car is operating fine and I haven't notice any unusual temperatures (I monitor water temp and EGT1). Is there a separate pump to circulate the coolant through the intercooler?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There is an electric pump that circulates coolant through the intercooler.

Bam

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
Threw two new codes tonight:
P0111 and the later P0101 plus continued to show P026A.

I noticed the EGT performed as normal during warm up and then after warm up the EGT froze at 212 degrees. I'll take it to the shop on Monday

dieselhaze

TDI
2013 passat tdi se 6m
This code has now happened to me, I am getting cold start stumbling with it. Seems ok after warm up.

Bam

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
Ultimately, the problem appeared to be the boost pressure sensor. I had a local garage who believed it was an air temp sensor, though before we could trouble shoot it, a deer ran into the side of my car. The car sat in the body shop for the entire month of January. A week or so after getting the car back and before I could get it in the garage to trouble shoot the error codes, the car wouldn't start and it was towed to VW. They replaced the boost pressure sensor and then the turbo and it's running great now.

dieselhaze

TDI
2013 passat tdi se 6m
Maybe the boost pressure was off because of damage to the turbo? I wonder if it could be an early indicator.

Bam

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
The dealership seemed to indicate the two were independent of each other. I asked them to clairify and they stated the following:
The initial fault code stored in your vehicle was for the altitude change air pressure sensor which had an implausible signal. The sensor required replacement. At that time there was no indication that there was a problem with the turbo as there was no oil on the exhaust side of your split exhaust system. Therefore the technician proceeded to the next job which was to update to the ECM (Electronic Control Module). Once he did this and the system was reset, a new fault code appeared which indicated that there was a fault for the turbo under boost. At this point in time, the technician follows certain steps to verify the concern. He removed the Diesel Particulate Filter and inspected the other exhaust shaft to find that there was oil was present in both. You have a right and left exhaust shaft and the sensor is related to the shaft that did not have residual oil.
In this text they are saying the faulty sensor is called the altitude change air pressure sensor. I'm assuming this is the 'official' name of the sensor because the first two times they called it the boost pressure sensor.

dieselhaze

TDI
2013 passat tdi se 6m
Thanks Bam, I will report back when I have picked up the car, as to what was the fix for my code.

dieselhaze

TDI
2013 passat tdi se 6m
Finally picked up my car today. Turns out I actually had a p0111 and a p026a. The p0111 is IAT sensor 1 bank 1 range/performance. The dealership notes specify that they ran test plans for both fault codes that passed. Faults cleared supposedly and they test drove vehicle and codes did not return.
Unfortunately for me, they did return before I had left town. I promptly left it back at the dealership with note that said simply "fault code back, problem not addressed". Feeling kind of sick here since I wonder if my dealership is competent enough to do a good job.

dieselhaze

TDI
2013 passat tdi se 6m
I got my car back today. They replaced the boost sensor. Let's see how long it lasts. Maybe it is a separate issue?

cheetah45

TDI
2012 Passat SE 6-manual
Took my 12 with 55,900 miles into the dealer for the turbocharger recall/reprogram and within 30 miles of receiving the car back after the reprogram, CEL on. Returned the car and dealership cleaned a sensor(unknown which one at that time) cuz they did not have the offending part in stock and returned car to me. In less than 100 miles, the CEL was back. I returned the car once again, and they replaced the "charge air cooler psi/temp sensor" part number 03G-906-051-E to the tune of $250. Kinda perturbed that CEL which prevents passing a smog check (which is due this month)is not covered under the Kali emissions warranty.

wozxxx86

TDI
2013 passat
I have these codes as well. Is there a way to trouble shoot the iat sensor? Also the water pump? When I put my hand to the intercooler it's cool to the touch. I don't have vids but do have a decent scanner. My car is a 13 with 73k on it

Tom_Phillip

TDI
B4?, 1996, Green
(2013 Passat TDI SE) - I too have the p0111 and p026a codes. My mileage is down (high 30's vs high 40's), my cold starts have some loss of performance (feels like a miss) and I would rather replace a few sensors than have a high-priced tech wrestle this to the ground for a few hundred.

Any definitive direction would be appreciated.

EricEE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 55K+ miles
I am also experiencing this at 55K miles. I'll let you know what I do and what works/doesn't in my case (when I decide what to do).

EricEE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 55K+ miles
I am also experiencing this at 55K miles. I'll let you know what I do and what works/doesn't in my case (when I decide what to do).
I took this to the dealer and they took off and flushed the intercooler overnight and also replaced the sensor. The code did not come back after 60 miles driving. I'll post if it does come back.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
I know this thread is over a year old, but.....

I wonder if these sensors are designed to fail at 55k miles? Our just threw the same code at 55-56k miles. I've reset it three times via vcds, keeps returning each time we start the car and begin driving. No affect to driving, but the cel light stays on.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I did a writeup of P026A. I believe part throttlle cruising allows the intercooler to condense oil/water vapor. Due to the location of the sensor, this fluid accumulates on the sensor and 'fouls' them up. Inherently the sensor is not designed to fail at 55k.

Potential solutions: drive harder, flush intercooler prior to replacing sensor, sell car to VW.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
I replaced the sensor and it fixed the issue, for now. My wife drives the TDi and rarely if ever takes it to redline. She can't be bothered to change into sport mode......sigh.
I don't recall ever having to change the sensor on my previous Sportwagen, which I always drove like I stole it. Sold back with 109k.