Water pump failed, How do i replace?

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Driving home today i noticed a strange smell. I figured it was just the stinky old chevy in front of me. A mile later ( the chevy turned off) the smell was still there. I stop and no sooner do i come to rest then i see smile/steam coming from the hood. One key off and hood pop laer revealed that the engire front of the motor (both belts included) was covored in steaming G12. I call up my dad and get it flat towed home. a quick inspection revealed that the water pump seal was totally shot. I break out the manuel and look up how to change it. The man says to take the AC and Alternator off (without disconnecting the lines to the AC of course). After i begin to do that i talk to compu_85 and he mentions that Matt|R10TDI had done this job last fall. I call up Matt and he says that I dont need to take the AC and Alternator off, i need to take the TB and intermediate pully off.

Does this work both ways? Has anyone else ever tried this?

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
You can do it both ways. Idealy you would change the water pump with the TB. However, with the alternator and AC off, it is very easy to get to all the hoses for replacement.

YMMV

jeffk14

TDI
1996 Passat
I just did mine on my 96 and did the alternator/compressor/bracket removal method. I chose this way because I don't have the timing tools & the belt is not due to be replaced. The bozos that did my timing belt 20k ago SAID they changed the w/p too. I know better now & will purchase the tools next time the belt needs changing. BTW, you don't have to disconnect the a/c compressor hoses. Even if I had the timing tools, I'd probably still have done it the way I did.

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
valadius---also the water pump needs the hole for the top belt cover helicoiled--5 m/m--because youll be taking the cover off for more tb's in the future----and if the nut on the kackside falls off--youll be real happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!the hole doesnt even need to be drilled--just tapped and helicoiled