If you have a bad LCD stereo display

BSpray29

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
I had the LCD display go bad on the stereo in my 06 Jetta TDI. I could only see about 10% of the display. Maybe it was from the heat here in Georgia, I dont know, but I was able to fix it and wanted to share this with everyone in case you have the same problem. I went on Ebay and found a factory stereo for just $30 including shipping. You can get them dirt cheap on Ebay because 90% of the ones for sale on there do not come with a security code. When I received the donor, I removed the entire front panel and then removed my old radio in the car, but did not disconnect it, and replaced the old front with the one from the donor stereo. I reinstalled my old stereo with the new front panel and it works perfect! Since I did not disconnect my old stereo, I did not have to worry about having a security code to get it to work again. The front panel of these stereos just pry off from the bottom and are attached to the "guts" of the unit by 2 ribbon cables. All you have to do is plug them in. Hope this helps someone!

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Or, if you really planning to keep your car on the long term, you can spend another $130 on top of that $30 you have spent and buy a nice brand new RCD330 plus with Apple Carplay, plug and play installation. It will look perfect: OEM, Bluetooth, touchscreen, etc. Note: might need to upgrade your Can Gateway, to avoid battery drain, another $20, 10 minutes job.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Where can you get an RCD330 for $130? I just Googled (wasn't aware that getting CarPlay / AA was an easy possibility in the Mk5/6) and everywhere seems to closer to $300.