2011 + transmission reliablity ?

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
Looking to buy a high mileage 2012 Touareg TDI but due to my budget limitations and ext color requirements most of the one I find have well over 125K miles on them and most if not all never had a transmission fluid change. Since we know the vw emissions warranty does not cover transmission, I worry. How reliable will the tranny be after so many miles, any advice and or testimonies of high mileage T3 without issues with transmission?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
"Budget limitations" and "shopping for a Touareg" are opposing things. I would shop for something else if that is the case.

But since you asked, the Aisin transmissions are generally pretty reliable although sometimes they can get some funky shifting issues that require a new valve body to correct.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
As usual Oil hammer has it right . These are great cars to have and run,but you need to have an extended warranty if you plan on owning it for a while. Everything is expensive to fix. It is in essence a Porsche Cayenne in VW disguise .

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
I hear Aisin trannys are rock solid. I got a 2014 TDI for year and 1/2, but did a bunch of research, and went for 2013+ T3. Too early, but it’s been super solid. I’m also certain it’s on the original tires and brakes, as I purchased it used with 12k miles, and now has 40k miles. Lots of tread and brakes still look good, but will plan to replace both in the near future. I’ll save a bit of money, as I’ll do the brakes myself. If you’re planning on getting a TDI, just make sure you Keep up with changing the oil and fuel filter.

Also, Club Touareg would have more traffic/feedback for yah. Lots of knowledge and info there, just use the search.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I traded my 2012 TREG TDI when the dieselgate buy back took place with 60K miles ,brakes were still very good. It was on the second set of tires. It's all about what kind of driving one does and how hard you run the car. BTW buy good tires for this beast and have the tires balanced and check the alignment.
I now have a 2016 TDI LUX and it is great as well.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
Yup agreed, depends how you drive and the type of driving. I corrected my post as I have about 40k miles on my Touareg(about 60,000km).

TDI
CVCA, ALH, CATA, 068
Hello and greetings! My wife has a 2011 EGG, and it is still shifting beautifully. I'm a transmission tech for General Motors, so I was Leary about a German automatic, but when I learned Aisin Warner produced it, I decided to give it a shot. OC8 is the transmission code, I do believe. Very intermittently, there is a 1-2 slide bump present, and very very intermittently a 3-1 (from what I can tell, have not confirmed this with scan tool data but it appears 3-1 shift) clunk, but the more gears you have, the more total lash, the more fluid passages, the more adaptive, the more is bound to occasionally hiccup. I don't really think too much of it. I am new to the German automatic world, but so far I am pleased with her vehicle, currently 208000km on the clock. If anyone is considering doing a fluid "flush" on their own, (a good idea if you don't have dedicated flush machines is to drain into a graduated container, fill exactly the volume that comes out, drive a little bit to cycle through the torque converter and cooling/lubrication circuit and then repeat. However, be wary of fluid volume to fluid temperature correlation with driving it/operating it in between, you would not want to under or over fill it. Perhaps a few thermal cycles would be handy.