Headlight Advice

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Hey everyone,

Had a late night 2 hour drive with my Mk7 GSW through an area where the moose warning signs are abundant. The stock headlamp bulbs clearly just don't cut it for visibility, both low & high beams, & I knew that, but just realized how much they suck.

I'm not interested right now, in changing the headlight housings, but still want to improve my lighting & am still also under warranty.

After searching the these forums & Google, still cant find a reasonable solution.

Would appreciate any help & advice.

thanks

Aivars

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Do you have the lighting package on your MkVII? I do, and drove the AlCan to bring the car home from buying it in Orlando. Yeah, it was bloody dark in northern BC and Yukon at night. The lights worked well [I do have the lighting package.] There is an enormous difference with high beams on.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I am running some Ed’s replicas with Hylux HIDs in them. Another option is maybe Osram if you can find an importer. There are also some HIDs that are said to be built for the reflector housings but you’ll find mixed opinions of that sort of practice. But at the end of the day, the brighter headlights in your stock housings are the cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homerjj

TDI
Do you have the lighting package on your MkVII? I do, and drove the AlCan to bring the car home from buying it in Orlando. Yeah, it was bloody dark in northern BC and Yukon at night. The lights worked well [I do have the lighting package.] There is an enormous difference with high beams on.
Yeah ... alas no lighting package. :(

Homerjj

TDI
I am running some Ed’s replicas with Hylux HIDs in them. Another option is maybe Osram if you can find an importer. There are also some HIDs that are said to be built for the reflector housings but you’ll find mixed opinions of that sort of practice. But at the end of the day, the brighter headlights in your stock housings are the cheapest.

Thanks for the help... just not interested in changing the housing right now.

I've read a lot of the HID|LED reviews... but so mixed and unclear.

So any suggestions... bulb wise?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yep DeAutoKey LEDs are the way go. Lifetime warranty. I still have same set for 5 plus years and hasnt failed. They actually outlived the halogens.

Homerjj

TDI
Yep DeAutoKey LEDs are the way go. Lifetime warranty. I still have same set for 5 plus years and hasnt failed. They actually outlived the halogens.

What is the light pattern like? As some of the LEDS dont seem to work well in the stock headlight units... light pattern wise. Are you running both lows & highs?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Cheapest option is better halogen bulbs and adjusting the beams up a couple turns.

I have enjoyed osram nighbreaker lazers H7, i only have low beams but adjusting the pattern up a couple turns dramatically helped down rd visibility and OEM cut off is still maintained.

I've also coded the fogs to come on with highbeams which is enjoyable on the edge coverage.

Jurys out on how long the lazers last but i have turned off DRL.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Light pattern is the key for sure. I put a set of random LEDs in my Jetta and they were noticeably much brighter in the shop shining against the bench and just looking at them. I didn't even get out of the parking lot that evening before I noticed the difference.

I drove home and back the next morning and promptly took out the LEDs and threw them away in favor of my old standby Silver Stars.
A couple of others in the shop have put in LEds in their cars and loved them, but they live in town and rarely hit the highway. They do look a lot brighter in town reflecting off all the cars and buildings. On the open road I found mine did not project light outward where you need it.

Homerjj

TDI
I'm been going to bulbfacts.com for reviews.

I was going to order the deAutoLeds, but for some reason they're saying they don't ship to Canada, but their website says they do. Trying to sort this out.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
Hey everyone,
Had a late night 2 hour drive with my Mk7 GSW through an area where the moose warning signs are abundant. The stock headlamp bulbs clearly just don't cut it for visibility, both low & high beams, & I knew that, but just realized how much they suck.
I'm not interested right now, in changing the headlight housings, but still want to improve my lighting & am still also under warranty.
After searching the these forums & Google, still cant find a reasonable solution.
Would appreciate any help & advice.
thanks
Aivars
I have Volsa H7's on my 2014 jetta and they are a bunch better than the factory headlights...my vote goes to them. They can be bought from:
https://store.candlepower.com/voh71sula.html

Uno’15TDi

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Ordered!!!

Let us know how you like them. I’m a commercial photographer by trade and love the look of xenon 1st then LED’s. Currently have the lighting package on my ‘15 SEL and couldn’t be happier. I’ve gone as far as modifying a 325i headlamp System from tungsten to xenon/HID. Cool project with all the varieties of high end projectors. Love the clean cutoff of projection lamps and always curious if there is a better beast in LED land, especially since they run cooler and take less power to run.
If you have a digital camera you should shoot a before and after. Best done in manual mode where you set the camera on tripod and lock the exposure for both setups to really get a feel for the comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSWs 6MT | 02 Jetta TDI(Sold)
Uno’15TDi;5579739 said:
Let us know how you like them. I’m a commercial photographer by trade and love the look of xenon 1st then LED’s. Currently have the lighting package on my ‘15 SEL and couldn’t be happier. I’ve gone as far as modifying a 325i headlamp System from tungsten to xenon/HID. Cool project with all the varieties of high end projectors. Love the clean cutoff of projection lamps and always curious if there is a better beast in LED land, especially since they run cooler and take less power to run.
If you have a digital camera you should shoot a before and after. Best done in manual mode where you set the camera on tripod and lock the exposure for both setups to really get a feel for the comparison.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely worth their price! I am very very happy with the performance. Exactly what I was looking for in terms of ease of installation. Plug N' Play as we all hope it should be. The only little pain was with the drivers side bulb getting it in. I removed a little bit of stuff to get the angle on it to twist it in. Be sure to use the smaller gasket as there is a thick and thin style. I could not get the thick gasket to click lock in.

Bulbs are very very bight. I was worried I was dazzling other drivers and initially I thought I was ok, but noticed as I passed people on the highway in the same direction they were looking at me. Then I started getting flashes and knew they were too much. I was able to simply adjust them way down with the easy to access screws that are on top of the lens housings. So far they do not seem to be bothering anyone at all now that I've done some real night driving with them.

If you were on the fence, just get em... I obviously hope they last but for now very very happy.

Link to the bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S532L6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: