3.0 TDI EXT Warranty- REAR main seal covered?

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
Took it in and dealer located leaks at upper and lower pans, probably rear main seal as well. They confirmed those three are covered under Extended Emissions Warranty. They think there may be a fourth source but since the engine is coming out under warranty that potential not covered repair should be reasonable. Got a loaner per the warranty and I’ll report how it goes.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Sweet, glad they had a change of heart.. mine's still in, should be getting worked on by now.. the SA usually checks in with me once on Tuesday.

Really digging this Q5e loaner tho, my wife dont wanna give it back :(

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
It took me explaining what the GREATER of 10yr/120k or 4yr/48k coverage means :rolleyes: but took a turn for the better after that. A few supporting documents always helps.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
ironically I got my 2014 fixed at 72k miles in 2020.. so 10yr/120k or 4yr/48k are equal, neither option is greater than the other.

not that it matters, I'll shed the warranty shortly after this work has been completed.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
SA called me today and said they also replaced the EGR cooler, under warranty of course.. they were most of the way through it today, but since its such a major repair they are required to put a few hundred miles on it so they are gonna spend all day tomorrow driving it, and if all goes well it comes home Thursday..

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Got it home, they basically did all my maintenance for the foreseeable future.

At first they reported my water pump was on its way out as you saw in that video, quoted me $850 to replace it.. I denied it, asked em to check if there was coolant in the V because the EGR leaks, fills that up and it drips out near the WP.. he said okay, turns out I was right heh.

Now I got a new Water Pump, New EGR Cooler, New Oil Cooler, new rear main seal, new oil, new oil filter, new bypass valve, new coolant, new power steering fluid, oil pans been resealed and I got a full alignment..

She's rolling better than she ever has, and the underbody is all shiny and clean..

If you need warranty work done, go now during COVID.. dealers need stuff to do and I had absolutely nothing but a wonderful experience.

Now really the only thing left on my engine to worry about is the HPFP and the emissions crap, well.. time to fix that for good.

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
After a week, heard back. In addition to leaks covered under the warranty they pointed out power steering pump is leaking (apparent looking at it and was whining a while back and had to add some fluid) and there is a coolant o-ring that leaks (no description from the tech). I’m inclined to have them do the PS pump ($750). I’ve had startup timing chain rattle for the last 20k or so and asked about replacing the timing chain tensioner while the engine is out. More to come...

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
if your rack and pinion is covered in oil from the rear main leak it could be a casualty of that and should be covered IMO

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
No it’s the PS pump, which I’m going to have them do. He said the tech inspected the engine oil soaked rack and it was fine.

I inquired about have both timing chain tensioners replaced in an attempt to cure the startup timing chain rattle. They quoted $400 parts and labor but I’m guessing that once inside the guides will be worn and it would be silly not to replace those as well.

Do I go down this rabbit hole with a 146k mile vehicle???

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
~$400 seems like a great deal to have new tensioners/guides, the rattle is not hurting anything but at your millage getting the chains refreshed should make you good for another 150k miles.. I suppose it depends if you intend on taking this vehicle to its grave or not.

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
$400 just for tensioners, close to $2k for chains and all of the guides (dealer parts prices!) The vehicle is not the nicest example and was a dieselgate bargain so I’ll see how long it’ll go on the original timing gear since the startup noise has not shown to indicate impending failure.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
eh, only if worn then.. if its just not holding pressure overnight thats normal VAG chain timing after a few years and not worth fixing out of pocket IMO.. when I'm in this deep I keep the chains, and inspect the guides/tensioners for excess wear and replace em if necessary..

Last edited:

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
It was at the dealer for 5 weeks while I had an SQ5 loaner. They said it was the first extended emissions warranty repair of the sort they had done and referenced the aforementioned TSB in the repair order. Interesting to note that TSB existed before the AEM. The showed me the car when the engine and trans was removed and I opted to replace a leaky oil cooler and power steering pump on my dime. I looked at the timing chains/guides and nothing looked worn so I’ll take the gamble on the startup timing chain noise I’ve experienced for the last 20k miles. Rear main seal, upper oil pan seal and all kinds of other bits and pieces replaced under the warranty. It also had a stored fault code for NOX sensor which they replaced under warranty.

Bcarroll76

TDI
Audi Q7
Hi all, did anyone have the dealer tell them that in order for the seals that are leaking, to be replaced, under this emissions extended warranty, that there had to be a check engine light illuminated?

Bcarroll76

TDI
Audi Q7
Also, what paperwork did you need to refer to/provide if they decline to cover the seal replacement under the TDI emissions extended coverage?

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
thats total bullshit, I never had a single CEL for anything they covered under warranty.. Oil Pan, no cel, Rear Main, no cel, EGR leaking coolant, no cell.. didnt get any hassle either, didnt have to show em any paperwork either..

But here it is listed as covered: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10144658-9999.pdf
Print the above document and bring it in with you, page 3...

Crankshaft oil seal, flywheel end, 1359.

You’ll likely have oil pan leaks too,
Oil pan (upper) 1745
Oil pan (lower) 1749

Insist on a loaner (page 1).

Good luck.

Zelly_101

TDI
2011 Q7 S-line
Hello, have a 2011 q7 tdi still under extended warrenty. Ad blue system isn’t working and brought it in. Exhaust smell in cabin. Anyway pump being replaced under warrenty and flex pipe cracked at Cadillac converter. They noticed a oil leak and shampooed that area and looks like rear main seal is leaking. Says they have to take the transmission off to see what the problem is. Might be covered under warranty but he doubts it? Might be fly wheel bolts? So roll the dice for a $4000+ repair. I also called back in and said rear main seal was covered under warrenty which he replied “ it is not covered”.
don’t you have to remove the fly wheel bolt to repair the rear main seal.

also had it in at another audi dealer as dpf symbol was on. Cleared the code and tried to do a regen. It failed and needs a new dpf filter. Took it to out local audi dealer as we were 6 hours out of town and they refused the repair under warrenty as there was no code anymore and couldn’t use another Audi dealers Diagnostics… can they just not hook up the vcds and do a diagnostic to see that the filter is clogged?
Thank you for your time and knowledge

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Cadillac converter.
No such thing.

Don't clear your codes. The dealership needs to see a CEL and associated code stored in order to "validate" that the issue\repair can be covered by the warranty. If there's an issue, and you just cleared the code without fixing whatever was causing it, it will come back.

If you have an oil leak, it can't be from a flywheel bolt..... bolts don't have oil.... and you don't have a flywheel as you have an automatic....
But yes, the driveplate has to be removed in order to get to the rear seal......
It should be covered under warranty, but you'll most likely have to argue for it as it's not a quick job.

Zelly_101

TDI
2011 Q7 S-line
the dealer said they deleted the dpf code to do a forced regeneration. When we got the q7 back there was no codes up. I never delete anything as it’s under warrenty. Is there anyway tomake the dpf symbol come up? We only have 30,000km before warrenty is up.
[/QUOTE]

secure way to share photos online

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you save whatever code you had? The DPF light came on due to a malfunction. Of the system filled up too much, it did that due to something. You can force your own regens with VCDS if load levels are too high, but since the light is off, I'd say you're good at the moment. If the condition that causes it is still present, it will come back soon, so don't stress about the 30k left.

Zelly_101

TDI
2011 Q7 S-line
Did you save whatever code you had? The DPF light came on due to a malfunction. Of the system filled up too much, it did that due to something. You can force your own regens with VCDS if load levels are too high, but since the light is off, I'd say you're good at the moment. If the condition that causes it is still present, it will come back soon, so don't stress about the 30k left.
ok thanks, q7 is at 205,000km now. I think warrenty is good til almost 230,000km? Just trying to get a loaner or rental as we can’t drive it with the ad blue pump broken. Parts might be here in a week and a half? Aswell trying to figure out a plan of attack for getting warrenty on this Rear main seal.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't tell you when your warranty is up. Ask any dealer and they can. All depends on when you got it fixed. Drive the vehicle until it stops driving and then they owe you a loaner/rental until they fix it.... Not your issue that parts are backordered.