2004 passat

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
Picked up a 2004 passat wagon with a manual trans this morning, will post pictures later. Has a bad motor, blew the oil feed line when the previous owner was on the freeway. Time to pull the oil pan and valve cover to see how much damage there is

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Surely if someone went to the trouble of a manual conversion they would have taken care of the balance shaft issue.

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
Car also has a stage 2 Malone tune, egr delete. Once the rain goes away I'll pull the valve cover and oil pan to see what kind of damage I find. Previous owner claims that he bought it from the owner of a diesel shop in the Joliet Illinois area.

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
Pulled the valve cover and the air intake, everything looks good under the valve cover and the turbo still spins freely, no play in the turbo

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Did that wagon come from Chesapeake, Ohio?

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
Was working on the passat today, after pulling the glow plugs the motor turns over easily with a 3/8 ratchet. So I turned the motor over using the starter with no glow plug in. It turns over good and makes no noise,but after about 5 sec of turning over the oil pressure light comes on.

So I am leaning towards bad rod bearing? Can I pull the oil pan without dropping the sub frame, if I where to pull the motor mounts and pick the engine up?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
oil light coming on with extended cranking is normal, reading your posts leads me to believe your not familiar with this car

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
No not really, but the bew jetta that I just worked on for a no start issue would not get a low oil pressure light when cranking after 5 seconds, that's why I was asking for advice

Last edited:

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
Got the oil pan off today, found a spring laying in the oil pan, I'm guessing that was there to help hold the windage tray in place for the bsm delete?

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
Put the oil pan back on and put the fuel supply line and return line in a 1 gallon fuel can with fresh fuel. Started the car up and the motor noise is gone. The fuel that came out of the old filter smelled like varnish.