all wheel alignment

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
We have 2 Audi dealerships in Charlotte. I priced an alignment at both, one was $295 + tax and shop fees. The other one was $190 with the same fees. I thought that was a bit pricey but when I call local shops I get the same answer; we don't have the software to do the alignment because we to reset something with the car afterwards. What is so special with a Q5 that needs to be hooked up to a computer? Is it the electric steering and rack? Please help me to understand. I'm an old guy and thought that it was to get the wheels all pointing in the same direction by turning a wrench. I just got my '07 Ram 2500 4x4 aligned for $129.00 at the dealership because of repairs from a minor wreck that happened 2 months ago.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
While certainly not unique to the Q5, there are some steering angle sensor resets that get done if the alignment is way out. But I doubt it is unless it has been wrecked. There is no more raised toe adjustments on the longitudinal VAG cars, so nothing needed for that.

Our Hunter machine has the embedded software to do most steering angle sensors anyway. So I am really not sure what they are talking about.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info. I will be more persistent when I talk to the tire shop. I have started using a new tire shop and he asked me to come by and he would put on his rack to see if he can do it. I guess if you don't ask you can get got.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is worth pointing out that unless your car has suffered some sort of damage, it is likely not out of alignment in the first place, and ANY modern rack should have no issue with mounting all four heads, doing the calibration, and displaying the current state of the alignment.

While I have never used anything but Hunter products, I doubt any others are different in that when you get software updates, you get them for EVERYTHING. So it isn't like someone could align a 2015 F150 but not align a 2015 Q5. If there are no other special fixtures or tools involved, then it is just normal stuff.

And due to nannyware mandates, EVERYTHING has a steering wheel sensor today. Even the cheapest back of the lot rental Versa turdbox.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife's car has a little feathering on the outside front tires is the only I want to get it checked. Hers has an almost new set of tires on it and I want them to last as long as possible. My car has about 1/2 tread left and I'm not worrying about it 'til it's time for new tires.

muddge

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
I just ran into this issue with my A6. The first Firestone I called referred me to another location because they didn’t have the right equipment.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
My 2016 TREG needed a new tire for a nail too close to the edge of the tire 10,000 mi, and the dealer,Who I trust said the miss alignment was causing the front tires to show abnormal wear on the outer edge. They performed the alignment ,we'll see if it makes a difference. I have a print out of the analysis in my file. TREG runs smoothly and no pulling,no vibration. BTW it didn't have an issue before the alignment.