2009 jetta tdi would not start

Moto920

TDI
2009 Jetta
My 2009 jetta tdi has 12,000 miles. Went to start it and it would turn over extremely slowly. Almost like the battery was dead. An engine fault code came up. Not sure exactly what it was. Got frustated gave it a slight amount of thottle and it turned over. Engine then turned over at normal speed but still would not start. Then low oil pressure fault. This happened about 6 times. Vehical was towed to dealer. Dealer said it started perfectly for them and no fault codes. Dealer suggested may be bad fuel. Dealer stated, if this happens. Put thottle all the way to the floor to flush out bad fuel. I have not had any problems since. Havnt' been able to test the thottle theory.

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
Putting the throttle to the floor only normally works if it is a carburated engine. This thing doesnt even have a throttle cable.. its all computer controlled. IMO thats really stupid advice.

How cold is it there?

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
Moto920 said:
My 2009 jetta tdi has 12,000 miles. Went to start it and it would turn over extremely slowly. Almost like the battery was dead. An engine fault code came up. Not sure exactly what it was. Got frustated gave it a slight amount of thottle and it turned over. Engine then turned over at normal speed but still would not start. Then low oil pressure fault. This happened about 6 times. Vehical was towed to dealer. Dealer said it started perfectly for them and no fault codes. Dealer suggested may be bad fuel. Dealer stated, if this happens. Put thottle all the way to the floor to flush out bad fuel. I have not had any problems since. Havnt' been able to test the thottle theory.
time to find another dealer, IMHO... now, I don't know much about the CBEA but I have a feeling I know more than these clowns do :rolleyes:

1. if you had an MIL, it won't magically disappear (they're either lying to you or incompetent... or both)

2. throttle to the floor to flush out bad fuel?!?! please... someone tell me there is a good reason for this or I will personally drive to Fond Du Lac and slap the sh!t out of these fools :mad:

don't worry about the low oil pressure light... IIRC, this is due to the key being in the on position (after an attempt at cranking) with zero oil pressure - should be "normal"

it's about 9 F here... so probably around 0 F to -10 F up in the nawf woods

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The low oil pressure light during extended cranking is nothing new. ALHs do it, such as after a fuel filter change without pre-filling the new filter.

IIRC, the ECU expects to see X psi of oil pressure after so many seconds, and if too much time passes, it gives a warning.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Sip'n Diesel said:
2. throttle to the floor to flush out bad fuel?!?! please... someone tell me there is a good reason for this or I will personally drive to Fond Du Lac and slap the sh!t out of these fools :mad:
Acutally on some fuel injected engines, not sure about diesel. But pressing the throttle to the floor turns off the injectior(s). So all you get is air and spark. It's suppose to dry out the engine if you flooded it.

Who know's if it applies to the new TDI.:confused: