2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
And they say millwrights are dumb hammer swinging sloths lol
Awesome job bud!
Should do a write up on this one for sure

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Oh, I should update my profile. I work in IT for a mining company. I started with them as a millwright though.

If only I could figure out a way to incorporate a hammer into this system.... Hmmmmm. Could a hammer make a good wifi antenna? A claw hammer could probably be made into a 2.4GHz J-Pole.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
An interesting idea, but a lot of extra work just for the "coolness" of an iPad. If you already have a small PC and a VCDS cable, the iPad is not that big of an improvement. If it is just wireless you are interested in (not "coolness"), the same thing is available from Ross-Tech. I have run VCDS on an iPad without the use of a duct taped PC and router combination. Unless you already have an old netbook and wireless router laying around the house, it would be cheaper (and a lot easier) to buy a Hex-Net wi-fi interface from Ross-Tech and run VCDS-Mobile through Safari or Chrome. The only downside to this is that to get full VCDS capabilities, you need to be connected to a wireless network with internet access (the Hex-Net and the iPad must be on the same network). An iPad cannot connect to 2 wireless networks at the same time.

BTW: The Hex-Net interface also works as a wireless interface to a Windows computer that can then run the full VCDS program with no restrictions (requires Beta v14.x).

Have Fun!

Don

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This is hilarious. And awesome. Well done! :D

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An interesting idea, but a lot of extra work just for the "coolness" of an iPad. If you already have a small PC and a VCDS cable, the iPad is not that big of an improvement. If it is just wireless you are interested in (not "coolness"), the same thing is available from Ross-Tech. I have run VCDS on an iPad without the use of a duct taped PC and router combination. Unless you already have an old netbook and wireless router laying around the house, it would be cheaper (and a lot easier) to buy a Hex-Net wi-fi interface from Ross-Tech and run VCDS-Mobile through Safari or Chrome. The only downside to this is that to get full VCDS capabilities, you need to be connected to a wireless network with internet access (the Hex-Net and the iPad must be on the same network). An iPad cannot connect to 2 wireless networks at the same time.

BTW: The Hex-Net interface also works as a wireless interface to a Windows computer that can then run the full VCDS program with no restrictions (requires Beta v14.x).

Have Fun!

Don
If you were starting with nothing, the HEX-NET interface is certainly a good option, at $399, or $499 for the unlimited version.

In my case, I already had my HEX-COM+CAN cable, which was $349. The router and computer I used were things I already had laying around gathering dust.

Also, since mine is a fully functional Windows computer, it'll do anything.

One thing I wouldn't try to do with it is cross the border, or take it on an airplane. A bunch of circuits and wires, and an antenna sticking out from a bundle of duct tape... Hmmmm.... I think I'll leave that out of my carry-on bag...

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Both clever and funny. Practical? :confused:
For me it's very practical. I just plug the computer/duct-tape contraption into the lighter socket for power, plug in the VCDS cable to the OBD2 plug, and toss it on the floor in the back of the car or wherever.

Then I can use my iPad to view and control it. I could even have the iPad in another vehicle that is following my car. WiFi has a range of about 100m or so.

I find it easier than having a laptop in my car. Less bulky (because the bulky part is out of the way where I can't see it).