PLEASE!!!! UPGRADE THE SERVER - IT'S TOO SLOW!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Re: PLEASE!!!! UPGRADE THE SERVER - IT\'S TOO SLO

November 12, 2005 the forums will be out of service for software upgrades. We will be back on Sunday November 13th.
Ohhh, this can't come soon enough. Fred, please take all the time you need
and good luck !

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
TDI ownership would not be possible for many without this site!

Thanks!

BRMTDI

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM PD140 Turbo, PD150 Injectors RC2+
I work in the IT field, not sure if this insight might help but.

When I sign onto TDI club using my Verizon iPhone service while tethering, TDI club happens to be fast.

When accessing it through Verizon FIOS at home or cable at work its dreadfully slow.

Curious as to why that is.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I work in the IT field, not sure if this insight might help but.
When I sign onto TDI club using my Verizon iPhone service while tethering, TDI club happens to be fast.
When accessing it through Verizon FIOS at home or cable at work its dreadfully slow.
Curious as to why that is.
The past month of so has been rough on my FiOS connection. TDIClub page loads get stuck half way through a page load. Sometimes refreshing fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't.

Like right now, for example, I'm typing this reply and it still hasn't finished loading the page. The bottom of my browser says "connecting..." and the icon in the tab is still spinning. It has loaded enough of the page for the reply box to work, though.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I've been having trouble for some time now. UserCP and NewPosts take many seconds to produce themselves. Message is "Waiting for forums.tdiclub.com..." (or similar). Query report at the bottom of the page says just milli-fractions of a second but... Now I'm getting a "Cannot connect to..." and a redirect page. Dunno...

Auslndr

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2009 Golf Variant TDI
Sounds like DNS issues, probably with embedded content such as the Fuelly signatures and external referenced images. When this next occurs, try changing your DNS to something like Google's (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/) or OpenDNS (https://use.opendns.com). Make sure to flush your DNS cache, especially on Windows as Windows will cache negative DNS query results. On Windows, it'll be:

ipconfig /flushdns

On Mac OS X 10.7 - 10.9, it'll be:

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

On Mac OS X 10.6 and older, it'll be:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

Most ISPs push at least two DNS servers down to the clients. The symptoms you're having could be from one DNS server that has failed, which will cause a timeout before the client fails over to the working DNS server. Or it could be something further upstream poisoning the cache of your direct DNS servers.

Not saying DNS is 100% the issue, but your symptoms, especially the seemingly randomness, sure point in that direction.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The past month of so has been rough on my FiOS connection. TDIClub page loads get stuck half way through a page load. Sometimes refreshing fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't.

Like right now, for example, I'm typing this reply and it still hasn't finished loading the page. The bottom of my browser says "connecting..." and the icon in the tab is still spinning. It has loaded enough of the page for the reply box to work, though.

I'm having the same problem to.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Sounds like DNS issues, probably with embedded content such as the Fuelly signatures and external referenced images. When this next occurs, try changing your DNS to something like Google's (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/) or OpenDNS (https://use.opendns.com). Make sure to flush your DNS cache, especially on Windows as Windows will cache negative DNS query results. On Windows, it'll be:

ipconfig /flushdns

On Mac OS X 10.7 - 10.9, it'll be:

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

On Mac OS X 10.6 and older, it'll be:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

Most ISPs push at least two DNS servers down to the clients. The symptoms you're having could be from one DNS server that has failed, which will cause a timeout before the client fails over to the working DNS server. Or it could be something further upstream poisoning the cache of your direct DNS servers.

Not saying DNS is 100% the issue, but your symptoms, especially the seemingly randomness, sure point in that direction.
Thank you for the command line stuff. Very useful. :) I haven't had many problems either on my mobile or my hardline internet.

BRMTDI

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM PD140 Turbo, PD150 Injectors RC2+
Found the issue to be DNS related, with FIOS..I went into the router and inputted the DNS manually which I put 8.8.8.8 for google, no issues after that.