Timing belt noise

LucasTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW TDI
Hello:

I have a 2002 TDI Jetta, I had the original timing belt repleced at 90-95K
and now have 167K on it, the timing belt is making noise now when I start it up and the noise doesn't go away after the engine is warmed up (from driving) this is less noticable on warm days - more on cold mornings.
I had all the rollers and water pump relapaced as well

Sounds like a shkk shkk shkk noise as it idles. The noise lessens after its been running a while from a nice drive.

It started making this noise last week - and I recall the original belt made the same noise after about 60K miles on the car.

Is this bad? Do I need a new TB now rather than by 190K?

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
i had this too, but while tracking it down i found a leaky WP so i did the TB job and the noise is no longer there. i don't know what it actually was, i didn't find any rubbing, TB was mint, no marks on it... so i really don't know. only thing I saw was the pass side splash shield is kinda busted up and may have been touching the crank pulley/damper.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It's the tb rubbing against the side of the tensioner. It's nearing the end of its life and should be put on the list for replacement in the next 10K.

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I have also had this problem with my own car and some of my customers. Mine is the Tensioner rubbing against the plastic TB cover. If I remove the cover the noise stops and mine is almost cut through the cover completely. Even when I reposition the cover it still goes back to rubbing.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
TNTKNC said:
I have also had this problem with my own car and some of my customers. Mine is the Tensioner rubbing against the plastic TB cover. If I remove the cover the noise stops and mine is almost cut through the cover completely. Even when I reposition the cover it still goes back to rubbing.
not to doubt your install skills, but did you locate the metal tab inside the little hole? just a thought.

my tb cover showed no signs of any rubbing whatsoever.

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
bbarbulo said:
not to doubt your install skills, but did you locate the metal tab inside the little hole? just a thought.

my tb cover showed no signs of any rubbing whatsoever.

Yes its in there right. I had the same problem when the car was new and had the TB replaced under warranty. It worked for a while then same thing started happening again around 100k from 40k. Changed it again myself this time and now 78k later its doing it again. I have had a few others doing the same thing that I didn't work on so what now? Maybe just the cover is out of whack? I don't know it was just a thought for something to look at.

LucasTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW TDI
I was looking for the website that has a kit with all the parts
Anyone know the website?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
LucasTDI said:
I was looking for the website that has a kit with all the parts...Anyone know the website?
Are you planning to do the work yourself?? There are a couple of TDI-Club Gurus in your general vicinity... UserID alphaseinor and UserID mtbr297. If you're going to have one of them do the job, ask them if they have a preference for a particular kit of parts (or wish/insist on supplying it themselves).

If you're planning to do the job yourself, I hope you're familiar with the procedure: http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Yuri.

PS: as well as the suppliers mentioned by FlyTDI, there's also www.metalmanparts.com - who rents out the lockdown tools...