Buyback in a couple weeks, want to buy used Jetta TDI

ksucats96

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
So I'm turning in my 2012 Jetta TDI and really want to stick with a diesel, so I'm considering some local Jetta TDIs on Craigslist in the KC area. My question, are there some good threads on here about which years to avoid? I'm leaning towards Mk5 because they're newer than Mk4's and it looks like 2006 may be the sweet spot before some issues arose. Going with manual transmission again. Thanks in advance for your help!
Also, found on Craigslist $7-$7500 for 250,000mi 2006's that have been refreshed here in KC. Is that a lot of $$$?

Last edited:

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
If you are looking at a newer one 2004 to 2006 those ares are going to had the PD engine. BEW or BRM most likely. The main issue that those cars will have is potential camshaft wear. So before buying any of them have the valve cover taken off and check the camshaft. There are threads on here that show what to look for. Cam shafts are replaceable, but you ideally want one with minimal wear. It is good to ask the owner about oil change habits. Should be changed every 7500-10000 miles and should be using a high quality turbo diesel oil or 505.01 oil.
The 99 to 03 are considered the best out of the older tdis to most of us including me. Those may be a little dated coming from a 12 though. The 04+ cars are good you just have to find a good one and know its weaknesses.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
These are within 500 miles of your zip:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/707845070/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/704868434/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/708893030/overview/

For about $15k you get a 2015 and a warranty...

Seems worth the extra $8k to me
If you expand the search, you can look nationwide - shipping a car isn't that much of a hassle or expense

ooh, like http://www.napletonorlandovw.com/ce...lando-FL-1ff956bd0a0e0ae867dfbbaf3f244c21.htm
or http://www.adamsofcharlotte.com/veh...wagen-jetta-tdi-s-6m-charlotte-nc-id-19370929 (I'm biased, my fav color of the new VWs)

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
These are within 500 miles of your zip:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/707845070/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/704868434/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/708893030/overview/

For about $15k you get a 2015 and a warranty...

Seems worth the extra $8k to me
If you expand the search, you can look nationwide - shipping a car isn't that much of a hassle or expense

ooh, like http://www.napletonorlandovw.com/ce...lando-FL-1ff956bd0a0e0ae867dfbbaf3f244c21.htm
or http://www.adamsofcharlotte.com/veh...wagen-jetta-tdi-s-6m-charlotte-nc-id-19370929 (I'm biased, my fav color of the new VWs)
OP is interested in MKIV and MKV TDI's, not 2015 models.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
OP is interested in MKIV and MKV TDI's, not 2015 models.
OP is interested in Jetta TDIs, and reliable ones.

"So I'm turning in my 2012 Jetta TDI and really want to stick with a diesel, so I'm considering some local Jetta TDIs on Craigslist in the KC area. My question, are there some good threads on here about which years to avoid?"

Only mentioning the older ones for simplicity/reliability.

Something 2 years old with 20-30k miles and a LOOOONG (11yr/162k) warranty might be worth spending a bit more. Just giving them that info/option.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OP is interested in Jetta TDIs, and reliable ones.

"So I'm turning in my 2012 Jetta TDI and really want to stick with a diesel, so I'm considering some local Jetta TDIs on Craigslist in the KC area. My question, are there some good threads on here about which years to avoid?"

Only mentioning the older ones for simplicity/reliability.

Something 2 years old with 20-30k miles and a LOOOONG (11yr/162k) warranty might be worth spending a bit more. Just giving them that info/option.
Right, so a well sorted 300k mile ALH car would fit that bill nicely. :D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
So I'm turning in my 2012 Jetta TDI and really want to stick with a diesel, so I'm considering some local Jetta TDIs on Craigslist in the KC area. My question, are there some good threads on here about which years to avoid? I'm leaning towards Mk5 because they're newer than Mk4's and it looks like 2006 may be the sweet spot before some issues arose. Going with manual transmission again. Thanks in advance for your help!
Also, found on Craigslist $7-$7500 for 250,000mi 2006's that have been refreshed here in KC. Is that a lot of $$$?
Surfstar, not to be picky, but maybe you should read the OP's thread again and especially the highlighted phrase. For your info, the MKV Jetta TDI years were 2005.5 and 2006.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
Surfstar, not to be picky, but maybe you should read the OP's thread again and especially the highlighted phrase. For your info, the MKV Jetta TDI years were 2005.5 and 2006.
He mentions leaning towards the MKV b/c they're newer. Again it seems like the OP wants something newer and reliable.
Oh, and also "leaning" doesn't mean "I will not consider any other options".

Is it wrong to provide further options? Perhaps they'd prefer to not have something with 200k + miles, and maybe something with newer safety and tech, for not much more...
Perhaps they didn't realize you could buy a 2015 with a crazy long warranty for $8k more than a MKV.

Luckily the OP can take the info and do with as they please.

Sorry to have offended the high mileage club.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
He mentions leaning towards the MKV b/c they're newer. Again it seems like the OP wants something newer and reliable.
Is it wrong to provide further options? Perhaps they'd prefer to not have something with 200k + miles, and maybe something with newer safety and tech, for not much more...
Perhaps they didn't realize you could buy a 2015 with a crazy long warranty for $8k more than a MKV.
Luckily the OP can take the info and do with as they please.
Sorry to have offended the high mileage club.
Sorry, I don't mean to be pushing MKIV or MKV's but it just sounds to me that if he wanted a newer, safer, more feature laden Jetta, he could just keep his 2012. ??

I had a 2014 Passat TDI (bought new) and I had more features in my old 2006 Jetta Package 2 than the Passat had. I just didn't like the larger size of the Passat and the cushy "Camry like ride". Plus I had several things go wrong in the 29,000 miles I had it. So I turned mine in. I'd love to find another 06 PK2 that was not beaten to death and I'll keep looking until I do, but they are getting hard to find at a fair price.

What myself and others are seeing is that clean, low mileage, unrusted MKIV and MKV TDI's are getting hard to find, and much more sought after than a few years ago.

ksucats96

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Thanks for the posts. I am taking them all into consideration. I did look at some online listings for some 2015 Jetta TDIs locally, and I can't rule out that if a dealer wants to make me a deal I can't refuse, I may jump that way. Right now, Mk5 is a good compromise for me between old & new. I will make a decision the 15th

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
MK5 is an excellent choice.. my ONLY complaint... they didnt come in a wagon . ( unless you count 2009)

JasonFH

TDI
2012 Jetta 6spd man
I'm thinking similar thoughts. I have a '12 Tdi Premium with nearly 100k miles on it. I am tempted to turn it in and walk out the door with a' 15 SEL Tdi with <20k miles on it. Manual would be a must. For the price, I haven't found anything I like as much as my Jetta. Pros and Cons for keeping the '12 VS trading in for a' 15?

tdisurfer1970

TDI
2012 6 Speed Stick
Used

I am headed to CO this weekend to buy a used '12 tdi manual for $7500. pretty clean. Post Factory corrections. 122K. Had a 2000 Passat GLX? Loved it, but wife messed it up.

What worries should I have or look for on the 2012?

Thanks

mr.shooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Gone. 2018 Golf R
We just completed the buyback. A change in working circumstances means there is no longer a need to daily commute, so a 2018 Golf R in Oryx White Pearl now sits it the garage. I will no longer will be stuck behind the edible arrangements van, unable to pass because I'm already foot to the floor, while he's accelerating determined for me not to get in front lol.

Last edited:

r4ndys1ngh

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta TDI
Just got the full emissions fix done. The car did have the malone stage 2, so that's fully gone, looking to put it back soon.

I've notice while driving highway speeds, the exhaust gas temperatures are around 450F then it will spike up to 700-800F for about 30-45 seconds then drop back down to the 400F range. It kept doing this every 10-15 minutes.

The other issue I have noticed is that the car will randomly not "crank" over, I have to hold down the push to start. Looking to have the dealership take a look. No CEL or codes.