F150 diesel and other Ford diesel in future?

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I'd sure like to see more diesel options available. Currently I drive a Tacoma since a 3/4 ton is too much truck for my needs. I'd love to see a diesel in 1/2 ton or compact truck. Perhaps Ford will offer one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

complet article here [ QUOTE ]
Ford Motor pushes hard for 6-cylinder diesel for F-150
Rift with supplier opens the door for other engine makers
Despite a canceled deal with International Truck and Engine Corp., Ford Motor Co. still wants to introduce a six-cylinder diesel engine for the F-150 pickup.

A diesel-powered F-150 "could be a big seller," says Dave Szczupak, Ford's global powertrain chief.

The pickup could be introduced as early as 2006, followed by a mid-sized diesel SUV and a car, says Phil Martens, Ford's vice president of North American product creation.

Ford wants to be first on the market with a light-duty diesel truck. It wants to beat General Motors to this market segment to enhance the F-150's status as the world's best-selling vehicle.

But it's unclear where Ford would get a diesel engine for its trucks. Given the expense of designing one, Ford most likely would buy one from a supplier. And that's where things get messy.

International Truck and Engine Corp. already supplies Ford with the 6.0-liter PowerStroke engine used in the F-series Super Duty trucks, but that engine has encountered major quality problems.

This year, Ford repurchased at least 500 trucks suffering from severe engine malfunctions caused by the fuel injection system. Ford also encountered problems with the turbocharger and engine computer....................

[/ QUOTE ]

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
Ford just opened an engine plant in the U.K. that will be pumping out a brand-new 2.7L 24-valve CGI CTDI V-6. I believe the output is over 200hp/300ft-lbs.. That would go very well in an F-150 or even a Ranger. Don't expect to see that engine in the states until at least 2006, though. I'm betting it's tuned for Euro (low sulfur) diesel.

Willy den CGI

Veteran Member
Fords is also working hard on a 3,6-liter 275 hp V8-diesel with similar technical solutions including the CGI-block.
Ford are counting on some 27 mpg with the V8. The V6 is smallest and lightest in it´s class with only 202 kilos. The V8 will also be very small, but full of POWER!
/images/graemlins/eek.gif
LandRover

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Not heavy enough to fit under the "Truck LOOP HOLE" where normal emissions standards don't apply . So the engine is somewhat restricted to a cleaner lower power unit . They would have to use a lower power high tech. clean diesel to meet the restrictions . They do have a number of them in Europe in Ford models that would work , but no incentive to do so .