2.0 Gen 1 fix approved

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
...which was never the requirement under the settlements. Since they were released, it was public knowledge that a fix didn't have to meet the originally certified standards. All of the frustrating combination of ignorance and certainty that we saw around here was after the settlements were released.

The ones "moving the goalposts" are those who, like you, were so certain there would be no fix. Now you're redefining "fix" to mean something it never meant under the settlement.
good rebuttal Dan...some people you just cannot not make happy or to be content,no matter how much the results or solutions pleases most of us...:D

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Last edited:

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission.

The above exclusion seems rather strange considering part of the fix entails reprogramming the DSG transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission.

The above exclusion seems rather strange considering part of the fix entails reprogramming the DSG transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see that too. Since there isn't a whole lot of longevity testing that went into these changes, who knows what will happen with the new DSG programming....and for them to not warranty any future problems on the tranny possibly caused by those changes seems kind of irresponsible.

Martin-Harris

TDI
2009 JSW
WOOT WOOT!!! This news is fantabolous. Been putting off spending anymore money on my TDI till I KNEW there would be a fix. Now I can add a hitch and taillights clip just in time for my move next week. Only question now is whether I can find a euro style trailer in the states with a 50mm ball so I can do a proper frame hitch or if I will have to go with the Draw-Tite that mounts to the sheet metal on the bottom of the spare tire well.

What a spectacular end to July. Got me dancing like a fool.
:D:cool::p

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
50 mm is 1.979". Wouldn't a 2" ball coupler work? Might have to adjust the latch to snug a bit. Anyone know this for sure?

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I ran a euro hitch on a 2" trailer coupler for >45k miles, no adjustment necessary.. If I put down the jack and left the trailer hooked to the car I could lift the rear of the car off the ground with the trailer jack, so it was definitely snug.

0.021" is probably pretty close to scratching the chrome plating off a domestic 2" ball.. would that be a problem? hell no it wouldent be.

Last edited:

Martin-Harris

TDI
2009 JSW
50 mm is 1.979". Wouldn't a 2" ball coupler work? Might have to adjust the latch to snug a bit. Anyone know this for sure?
There are threads dedicated to that question. My reading was there was a little play that could make the braking and acceleration a little jerky (think slack in chains when pulling a car as the slack disappears and appears). Giving towing is already a risk compromising situation, I would prefer to play it safe. The erky/jerky of a loose coupler is not a pleasant feeling when towing with a passenger car. I have heard some couplers you can adjust a tension screw to make them a little tighter and work with the 50mm ball on the westfalia, just have to wrap my mind around whether I am comfortable with that.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Post-fix MPG ratings have now been released on fueleconomy.gov

DSG - All gen 1 vehicles except Beetle
City: 29
Highway: 37
Combined: 32

DSG - Beetle hardtop
City: 28
Highway: 40
Combined: 31

DSG - 2014 Beetle convertible
City: 27
Highway: 38

DSG - 2013 Beetle convertible
Highway: 37

Manual - All gen 1 vehicles except Beetle
City: 29
Highway: 39
Combined: 32

Manual - Beetle
Highway: 39
Combined: 30

Automatic transmission post-fix MPG ratings
Manual transmission post-fix MPG ratings

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Just got this email, so I should be able to schedule an appointment. Wonder if I should call my local dealership and ask when I can bring it in. BTW, they are not very knowledgeable imho, so I'll bet they will have no idea what I'm asking.

Volkswagen Group of America <TDISettlementSupport_NoReply@vw.com> Today at 3:09 PM
To
XXXXXXX
Message body
The EPA and CARB have approved an emissions modification for the Generation 1 vehicle that you registered in the Online Claims Portal for the VW/Audi 2.0L Diesel Emissions Settlements. For more information on the Approved Emissions Modification, including information on what the modification involves, the impact (if any) that the modification will have on the vehicle and the terms of the extended emissions warranty, please click here.
What do I need to do now?
· If you have not yet created an account and/or submitted supporting information and documentation for your claim to participate in the Settlement Program, you may submit a claim through the Online Claims Portal or the Paper Claims Form. Instructions on how to complete your claim and accept the Approved Emissions Modification can be found here.
· If you already submitted a claim and selected an Approved Emissions Modification as your remedy, you do not need to do anything. Volkswagen will process your claim in the normal claims review process.
· If you have already received and accepted an offer letter for an Approved Emissions Modification and your signed offer letter has been accepted by Volkswagen, you may now schedule your appointment for an Approved Emissions Modification directly with your preferred dealership.
· If you do not wish to participate in the Settlement Program but want to get an Approved Emissions Modification on your vehicle, you may schedule an appointment directly with your preferred dealer.
Upon completion of the Approved Emissions Modification, eligible consumers participating in the Settlement Program will receive payment of an amount to which they are entitled. Remember that payments you will receive are based on your vehicle mileage as of the date the modification is performed. For more information on the impact that mileage has on payment amounts, click here.
If you file a claim and have the modification completed, you have the option to receive payment via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or paper check. Those selecting paper check will receive payment in the mail to the mailing address on your claim. Click here to see information on how to accept electronic funds for those that select EFT.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is being sent from an account that does not receive replies. For questions or other issues related to the VW/Audi Diesel Emissions Settlement, please visit www.VWCourtSettlement.com or contact the Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM.
To ensure delivery to your inbox, add claims_noreply@vwgoa.com to your address book.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
You have to make your claim appointment through the website (not the dealer's) to get your money. Just saying....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So the FE loss according to fueleconomy.gov is exactly 2 MPG as I read it. Not bad, since my '12 always exceeded its EPA numbers. My lifetime economy (admittedly only 28K miles) was right around 45 MPG.

Funny how things turn out: '09s end up having an advantage in the fix because they get a DPF along with the CAT. The one piece assembly turns out to be a benefit, not a liability.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
You have to make your claim appointment through the website (not the dealer's) to get your money. Just saying....
Thanks.

The VWGoA – Online Claims website indicates schedule an appointment. The email I just received states contact my preferred dealer for an appointment. VW accepted my fix settlement Offer back in February. Perhaps they were premature in sending out the email and/or their online portal has not been updated to accept appointments for the GEN 1 buybacks yet.

"Schedule Your Appointment"

"The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. An Emissions Modification for your vehicle is not yet approved by EPA/CARB. Volkswagen will contact you when there is an update on the status of the Emissions Modification for your vehicle."

Last edited:

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Thanks.

The VWGoA – Online Claims website indicates schedule an appointment. The email I just received states contact my preferred dealer for an appointment. VW accepted my fix settlement Offer back in February. Perhaps they were premature in sending out the email and/or their online portal has not been updated to accept appointments for the GEN 1 buybacks yet.

"Schedule Your Appointment"

"The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. An Emissions Modification for your vehicle is not yet approved by EPA/CARB. Volkswagen will contact you when there is an update on the status of the Emissions Modification for your vehicle."
I called my dealership first thing this morning, and they are not making any appointments until they get parts allotment....so said the service manger. Which makes perfect sense, but I wanted to touch base and find out for sure.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I called my dealership first thing this morning, and they are not making any appointments until they parts allotment....so said the service manger.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks. I'm in no hurry at this point anyway.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
So the FE loss according to fueleconomy.gov is exactly 2 MPG as I read it. Not bad, since my '12 always exceeded its EPA numbers. My lifetime economy (admittedly only 28K miles) was right around 45 MPG.
Funny how things turn out: '09s end up having an advantage in the fix because they get a DPF along with the CAT. The one piece assembly turns out to be a benefit, not a liability.
'Till the warranty expires :eek:

Is nice they get a new dpf though

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you have an '09 with a cracked DPF, it could be a significant advantage immediately. And even if you don't you get new parts.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Great deal for me

Here's my take... The plan is pretty generous...

I'm at 280,000 miles with my full original emissions control system.

I currently have a CEL's for
1) my EGR (some pressure "blockage" detected) sometimes (so I need a new EGR assembly and filter)
2) intake butterfly valves ("flaps" or "actuators) sometimes in implausible positions

My MPG's are a little low right now because my DPF is probably cracked, doing too many regens, and my EGR isn't working how it wants it to

They say the mod will drop my FE by about 2 MPG. I bet for me it's a wash (if not an improvement).

They will fix all of the above and replace with new versions of all of the above (plus the NOx catalyst) as part of the recall at no charge.

I will get a 54,000 mile warranty on everything emissions related, everything listed above, plus the HPFP, Turbo, and a ton of other related components.

And they give me $5500.

Works for me! Then after 54,000 miles (18 months of my driving) I'll decide if I want to do some tuning and tweaking.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I wonder if they'll really replace your EGR for free. The warranty is on parts after the fix, not what you arrive with broken, I would think.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
So, unfortunately, it looks like the gen 2 Passats with manuals will be the last to receive fix approval. But I have confidence that they will eventually get approval.
on vwdiesellookup.com it is showing manual Passats as having an approved fix.
I input a few different VINs to be sure...

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I wonder if they'll really replace your EGR for free. The warranty is on parts after the fix, not what you arrive with broken, I would think.
Interesting thought - I'll have to see what happens! The new warranty information doesn't say it excludes pre-existing conditions, nor does it say any other repairs would be a customer expense.

It does say that if you have removed or modified anything you may be required to reinstall those before the fix can be performed.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/emissions/VW_BOOKLET_2L-Gen-1-MAN-v4.pdf

They would have to buy it back even if it needed repairs, though, so I'll keep that option in my back pocket.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Here's my take... The plan is pretty generous...
I'm at 280,000 miles with my full original emissions control system.
I currently have a CEL's for
1) my EGR (some pressure "blockage" detected) sometimes (so I need a new EGR assembly and filter)
2) intake butterfly valves ("flaps" or "actuators) sometimes in implausible positions
My MPG's are a little low right now because my DPF is probably cracked, doing too many regens, and my EGR isn't working how it wants it to
They say the mod will drop my FE by about 2 MPG. I bet for me it's a wash (if not an improvement).
They will fix all of the above and replace with new versions of all of the above (plus the NOx catalyst) as part of the recall at no charge.
I will get a 54,000 mile warranty on everything emissions related, everything listed above, plus the HPFP, Turbo, and a ton of other related components.
And they give me $5500.
Works for me! Then after 54,000 miles (18 months of my driving) I'll decide if I want to do some tuning and tweaking.
According to the released booklet for Gen 1 repairs, the warranty is 48,000 instead of 54,000. And as Indigo stated, probably won't get a free EGR.....just as I would assume a 2010 won't get a new DPF.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...n-1-AUT-v4.pdf

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Warranty for me will be 54,000 miles (I have the manual transmission)

From https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/emissions/VW_BOOKLET_2L-Gen-1-MAN-v4.pdf

Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of:
 10 years and 6 months or 126,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
 4 years and 6 months or 54,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the emissions modification.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's interesting, I hadn't realised the warranty was different for automatics vs. manuals.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Does your warranty extension also cover your automatic transmission? I bet it does. That's a pretty sweet deal to get any warranty on an A/T. Imagine my car with 280,000 miles on it suddenly getting another 4 years or 48,000 miles of warranty on a transmission with almost 300,000 miles on it already.

I wonder if that's part of the reasoning?

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Does your warranty extension also cover your automatic transmission? I bet it does. That's a pretty sweet deal to get any warranty on an A/T. Imagine my car with 280,000 miles on it suddenly getting another 4 years or 48,000 miles of warranty on a transmission with almost 300,000 miles on it already.

Nope. I wish though. See post 93 and 94. It's on page 9 of the Auto Trans booklet if you want to see...it's the last bullet point on the parts covered list.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed

DSG transmission is not covered, in fact VW specifically excludes on-board systems related to the transmission. This does seem odd as the DSG transmission will need to be reprogrammed.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Excellent, thanks! Looks like we'll get a loaner, and the warranty for the second category period is 4 year/48K instead of 4 year/54K as previously posted.

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE DEALER INSTALLS THE TWO LABELS UNDER THE HOOD BEFORE LEAVING. The Emissions Completion label and the VECI label.
Actually, the prior posted information was for manual-transmission vehicles having 6 more months and more miles on this DSG-transmission vehicles. Wonder if manual transmission-vehicles have a slightly different warranty period than the DSG transmission-vehicles? At any rate, the settlement is made, for those in this settlement class, time to make a decision! For me, I have an extended warranty from when I purchased the car, which covers the same equipment this emissions warranty extension does through May 2018. So I will opt to not make this emissions modification until the latest possible time, to be able to get my purchased warranty out to its limits, then start the emissions modification warranty extension, after hearing how those who made the emissions fix think about the impact of the change. I am happy to know what my options are for my 2010 TDI Cup Edition. I'll be anxiously waiting to hear what people with the Gen 1 2.0L TDI think of the modifications (as far as performance & mileage effects). Glad I kept mine until the settlement was reached to make a good decision.