MFA cluster on 99.5's - Paging PTC !!!!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
MFA cluster on 99.5\'s - Paging PTC !!!!

Hrvoje,

Can you please report on your MFA installation. Several forum members who have a 99.5 are asking about this upgrade.

Here's what we need to know:

1.Do you have any outsanding issues unresolved?

2.Did you have to run any new wires(other than the OAT sensor) or do anything other than to program this cluster to your car?

3.How is your mileage accuracy with the larger injectors? Are you chipped??

4.Is your 99.5 an early or late build?

thanks,

Lito

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic

IMPORTANT! - THIS IS FOR MY02 CLUSTER. MY00/01 COULD BE DIFFERENT

1.Do you have any outsanding issues unresolved?
Unfortunately I must report that I have 2 issues. 1 bigger and 1 less than cosmetic (shouldn't be called an issue at all).
The bigger thing is that after MY99 the airbag LIGHT communication went to CAN-bus, so you loose the light. From all what I've seen, the airbags SHOULD work, but thank God, I haven't had an opportunity to test that, so of course I'm not taking any responsibility regarding that matter. Possible solution could maybe include placing a LED somewhere and connecting it with the signal wire, but I haven't checked that. Another possible solution could include replacing the airbag controller for a newer one which has exclusive CAN-bus comm (MY00-present).
The other, cosmetic thing is that the glow plug light communication is automatically switched from signal wire to CAN-bus, and since ECU doesn't expect that in MY99, it stores a DTC that the connection with the light is intermittent (I'm guessing it's not sensing proper resistance). The Glow Plug light work normally, for glow period and errors. This DTC doesn't cause anything, it just sits there when you scan it with diag tool.

2.Did you have to run any new wires(other than the OAT sensor) or do anything other than to program this cluster to your car?
Only for the stalk (I have Climatronic so I had OAT going to Climatronic and cluster even though I didn't have MFA).

3.How is your mileage accuracy with the larger injectors? Are you chipped??
I'm not chipped for now, and regarding mileage accuracy with .205s, it should be like on any other car which has changed to bigger injectors. I believe it is off, but no proof yet of how much.

4.Is your 99.5 an early or late build?
Golf 4 started production in EU in 1997 as MY98, so we don't have MY99.5.
My car is MY99, VIN: WVWZZZ1JZXB070...
So it was built in September 1998, in Bruxelles, Belgium, it has Climatronic, AGR engine, DQY gearbox.

NOTICE: Even though it wasn't in wiring diags, my car had CAN-bus wires going to cluster (but they weren't used before) - they are on T32 green on pin 27 and 28 IIRC. On that MY they are ORANGE each with different stripe color (one has grey stripe IIRC, and I can't remember the other).

I did however see in ETKA that there were ECU changes in MY99 at VIN number 60 000 IIRC for AGR and AHF engines, but I don't know if those changes were connected to CAN-bus or something else.
Since ALL Golf 4s talk between ECU, ABS and TCU using CAN-bus, I'm guessing that these wires to cluster were there in early MY99 and MY98, too.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003

This is for PTC SO did you get the MPG to work. I still can,t get VHUNTERS MPG to register, everything else seems to work ok Including the glow plugs and air bag lights. Did you have to run a extra wire for the MPG meter? His is an early 99.5 sorry i don,t have the serial Number. This is the only car i have nto been able to get to 100%. I do not help he lives several states away.

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic

Yes, my MPG worked without any mods since it utilized the CAN-bus, but if you installed old style MFA (in the black/white clock LCD) in Vhunter's car, then you need to run one extra signal wire from the ECU. What I stated is for MY02 clusters.