PA TDIers, state inspection question

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
For those who drive in PA and have a straight exhaust (no muffler) do you have any problems passing the safety inspection?

Reason I ask is that I run a straight pipe but bolt a muffler on when going for inspection. Am I creating more work for myself by doing this every year when inspection is due?

There is no change in exhaust note, except when the wastegate opens. However I am wondering if the visually need to see a muffler?

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I've had mine inspected post mufflerectomy - no issues. Go to a local shop that knows me, check the lights, brakes, tires not even necessary to hook it up to the ECU since there are no emissions regulations on our cars.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I've been going to the same shop for over 10 years, I get commented on the car since it's kinda rare being an A3. I'll mention it next time around and see what they say.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Well this past inspection I forgot to put the muffler back in place....failed. Oh well, gonna look at welding in a bolted flange on the "day of inspection muffler" and "364 day test pipe"

snick

TDI
2003 Jetta
Usually if you find just a local exhaust/ inspection shop and ask them if you pay them to weld it if they will pass it there is a good chance they will as long as you tell them you won't tell anyone or what not. That's what I did and I haven't had any problems :D

porshh

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI Manual
No issues here. I had straight pipe and passed inspection at mr. Tire without any problems.

mrmmacd77

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
Biggest key is to just go to a shop that you know someone at. Hell I had Limo tint all the way around on my MkIV and was passed every year. But that was Delaware County, PA. And the shop owner knew who I was from bumping into him at local watering holes.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I was going to a fleet/light duty (also general auto) diesel shop in east montco for my inspection. No issues when I had my mk4.

jmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6MT
Biggest key is to just go to a shop that you know someone at. Hell I had Limo tint all the way around on my MkIV and was passed every year. But that was Delaware County, PA. And the shop owner knew who I was from bumping into him at local watering holes.
Any level of tint will pass inspection in this state.

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 GTI S 6MT, Previous: 2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg
For those who drive in PA and have a straight exhaust (no muffler) do you have any problems passing the safety inspection?

Reason I ask is that I run a straight pipe but bolt a muffler on when going for inspection. Am I creating more work for myself by doing this every year when inspection is due?

There is no change in exhaust note, except when the wastegate opens. However I am wondering if the visually need to see a muffler?
The PA Safety Inspection does require the presence of a muffler.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterE.pdf
(The PA Emissions does not requires its presence for diesel vehicles which are exempt.)

...Depends on the shop doing the inspection :D

Sucks that cops don't agree with state ;(
check this re tinting:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/07/dillsburg_man_appeals_window_t.html

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-402.pdf

jeffinstereo

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Biggest key is to just go to a shop that you know someone at.

You can say that again. My shop passed me last year with an exhaust leak. Well not really a leak, the pipe was broken off and supported by just the hangers! Note that I did fix it about a week later.