dash & instrument lights out

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
They are all out. Since May they have been fine. I took the brake/air bag unit out of the dash and unplugged it. Since then there have been no dash/instrument lights. I have checked all the fuses, and also pulled the light knob/adjustment area for inspection.

Can't figure this one out. All the lights being out at the same time points to a fuse, or maybe a switch. Am I missing something here? Could it be a flag in the ECU?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Do all lights come back when you plug the airbag/brake lights back in?

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Chris Bell said:
Do all lights come back when you plug the airbag/brake lights back in?
No, that is the thing that is confusing to me. Sorry I did not state in the original post that I plugged the air bag light back in and still no dash lights.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The instrument cluster lights are out but the window switch/HVAC lights are OK?

I think you're going to have to just trace it. Cluster backlight terminal is T28/12. Light switch control lighting terminal is 1/58b.

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
The back lights for the HVAC and windows are also out. I will pull the light switch and see if I can find these numbers mentioned terminals above.

I pulled the light switch assembly and found markings for 58b, were might I find the the other terminal connection? Do I jumper or check voltage between the aboved mentioned terminals?

Last edited:

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
The guy that did the conversion on my car is sending me detailed schematics. I will scan in and share with group, hopefully figure out the problem and report back.