AZNWHIP's 2011 CW Mk6 TDI Build Thread

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Hello everyone and welcome to my build thread. Picked her up late March from VW Garden Grove. 2011 Golf TDI, Candy White, 2 Door, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio. Goal for this vehicle was to be a daily driven show car. Through the connections I've made building up two other show cars and as co-director for Europrojektz, I already had plans and sponsors all lined up and ready day one from picking her up.

So here she is stock and naked:

First thing I did was take her in to get the windows limo tinted (Johnson's Greystone titanium film) and debadged the Golf.

Dealer had drilled front plate holes :mad0259:

But quick visit to body shop and got that taken cared of:

The rear plate holes were misaligned so the plate actually sat noticeably closer to the left than right. Had the body shop take care of that as well and threw on a spare Mercedes rear plate bracket I had from my other car.

Also picked up the Parts4Euro black front emblem:

I looked at the Votex and OEM GTI roof spoiler and eventually settled for the OEM GTI for the gapless look. This required the roof spoiler, new roof brake light, and washer components:

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Once the roof spoiler was installed, had the roof vinyl wrapped gloss black.

Done:

Then had the front sidemarkers painted to color match:

Had some VAGCom work done thanks to Dustin (dustinouch) for remote window and seatbelt indicator removal.

Next came the suspension work. I decided to go with Koni coilovers after comparing several others for the damping adjustability feature and relatively decent drop. I wasn't planning on dumping her, but slight tuck with zero gap was what I was aiming for.

Front at max low (without giving it much time to settle yet)

Rear at max low

To continue the exterior work, I decided to go with Rieger CF kit which includes the front bumper, sword, skirts, and rear diffuser. Parts were from TM Tuning and arrived in only a few weeks.

As I opted for the GTI dual exhaust diffuser, I needed to do some exhaust work. With the DPF, wasn't expecting any noise or performance benefit, so mainly for aesthetics. Picked up PandaGTI's GTI exhaust and threw it on.

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
All put together:

Cherry R LED tail lights were next up.

Setup looked ok, but tips were kinda tiny imo. So splurged a bit and picked up an Akrapovic slip on kit with connecting pipes.

Much better looking:

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
After rear was done, decided to work up front. Was put in contact with Injen Technology who was looking for a Mk6 TDI to do some testing on their new intake. They took the car for a week and end result was this new Injen intake with Amsoil dry filter.

Here are the Dyno numbers that they provided of my car, but take it with a grain of salt. I mainly did it for the sound aesthetics.

24mm H&R Rear Sway Bars with Neuspeed End Links for some added handling performance.

Installed:

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Now I went back to interior. Added the underseat storage which is a must imo with the very limited storage space we have in this car.

R Door sills just for accent

Euroswitch:

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
TID Styling CF Seat cover with TDI handle plate.

AWE Tuning pedals

Interior trim wrapped in 3m CF Di-Noc white CF thanks to JS Design Factory.

Interior lights were all swapped out with AZN Optics LEDs.

At this time, my wheels were done. Thanks to Manu over at DPE Wheels for the custom forged 19" R16V2. Dark Matte Gold with polished and clear coated lips.

How often can you get the owner of the wheel coming doing the dirty work lol:

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Also wanted to thank Stan over at Toyo for hooking me up with their new flagship line T1 Sport tires a couple weeks before officially available in the US.

Fogs were swapped for Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs with yellow Lamin-X.

I really was hating the halogen headlights. Did tons of research on retrofit, but was going to cost a grip to swap out the CECM unit as well as the headlight unit. Hit my sources up and started looking for aftermarket solutions. Seemed everyone was going with Spyder at this time, but didn't dig the design so passed. I was put in contact through Bavarian Exclusive with the new DEPO headlights for Mk6 and was going to be the first in US to get them. Was light pulling teeth trying to get pics of the lights from DEPO so bought sight unseen, but secured a good return policy if I wasn't satisfied with them. Had them shipped in, opened the box, and took a look........

........I then promptly packed it back up, shipped it back, and said no thanks lol. :bellyroll:

Then on Vortex someone had sourced out these new LC units that were 2012 reps. I was always kinda iffy on the 2012 integrated LEDs, but figured these would be the best design out there closest to OEM so picked them up. Was pretty happy with the end results as they were good quality.

Swapped out the cheap HID kit with AZN Optics HID and white LED turn signal.

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Race Dash LED Rear Plate Lights.

That done, decided to get some brake work done. New wheels deserved ceramic brakes to try to keep dust at a minimum so went with Akebono Euro Ceramic pads.

Neuspeed Stainless Steel brake lines.

And to finish it off, thanks to Adam for hooking me up with his Adam's Rotors AR Sport II's rotors with black hats.

Next up, hit up the guys at ZMax Autosports for some Osir goodies including the CF Hood and side mirrors.

Hood Painted and installed:

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Side mirrors:

Also added CF rear emblem inserts.
(Will Add pics later)
With the Osir hood installed, this lead to an unforseen issue.... The osir hood is cool cause the vent aren't just simple cut outs. There's a water channel that channels the water down towards the front away from electrical components. Problem is, this now channeled water right on my intake filter lol.

I've got a Hydroshield over the filter it and really should be that much water getting in anyways, but still.... So I went back to my contacts and got together with Mark over at aFe Power. They hooked me up with their cold air intake with an actual heat shielded box which will protect it not just from heat, but from the water being channeled to it.

Was introduced to Gary at Revo Tecknik and he expressed an interest in hooking me up with software. We installed brand new version 1.5 of the TDI software that fixes the DSG issue at Supreme Power in Placentia. Totally changes the characteristics of the car. She just keeps pulling and pulling. Power and MPG, definitely money well spent. Also picked up their SPS switch to make switching ECU mapping on the fly a cinch.

And here are some shots of her as she sits now.

I'd like to thank the following shops for making this project happen:
Anthony @ Promax Motorsports
Manny and David @ DTM Auto Body
Bruce and Howard @ Auto Network
Craig @ Supreme Power

And I'd like to thank the following sponsors:
Stan @ Toyo Tires
Manu @ DPE Wheels
John @ JS Design Factory
Mark @ aFe Power
Adrian @ Injen Technology
Adam @ Adam's Rotors
Michael @ AZN Optics
Gary @ Revo Tecknik

Last edited:

BobMikeStan

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen TDI(*soon)
Wow, the car looks awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to get my JSW soon and I'd like to do some of the same mods. I am brand new to car modifications of any kind so I might have questions for you, if you don't mind. I did have one question now: I noticed you have a base sticker on your window. I am in the military and also live in California. What are policies on the front tint? Do you have a Rx? I'd hate to get a good tint job only to have to take it off. Thanks!

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Wow, the car looks awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to get my JSW soon and I'd like to do some of the same mods. I am brand new to car modifications of any kind so I might have questions for you, if you don't mind. I did have one question now: I noticed you have a base sticker on your window. I am in the military and also live in California. What are policies on the front tint? Do you have a Rx? I'd hate to get a good tint job only to have to take it off. Thanks!
MPs and base police are pretty cool about it, but it'll vary base to base. Their job is mainly to keep the facility secure as opposed to bother the rest of us with fix-it tickets.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
Your Golf turned out very nice!! I'm especially interested in your performance mods. Looking forward to seeing the results of the DSG and engine software upgrades.

BovvyD

TDI
2011 6MT Golf TDI
Judging by the fact that your other cars are a Benz and a BMW I don't imagine you are hurting for cash. That said, make sure you insurance policy covers all the additional equipment you've purchased. Most stock policies only cover up to $1k for custom equipment unless you add additional coverage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
nice, but you lost me a the CF seat molding. you need a better exhaust than that, time to visit Mark Malone for his "ubber tune!!!!"

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Judging by the fact that your other cars are a Benz and a BMW I don't imagine you are hurting for cash. That said, make sure you insurance policy covers all the additional equipment you've purchased. Most stock policies only cover up to $1k for custom equipment unless you add additional coverage.
Actually, even a stated value policy will get you hosed. If you've got $5k in mods on a $30k car, for example, and you put a $35k stated value policy on it, if you're in an accident, all that will happen is the company will find you another car of the same make/model/year or fix the one you've got because either option is cheaper than paying out. Adding an insurance rider is an option but not all companies offer that service. I try to go this route when I can because it's more honest to me. You're paying extra for the additional coverage on the modifications.

Basically, you have to document everything, save your receipts (I scan mine and keep a single PDF with all the mod purchases in it) and if they turn you down the first time, you get a layer straight off and let him deal with it. This is true regardless of having the insurance rider on your policy.

BovvyD

TDI
2011 6MT Golf TDI
Actually, even a stated value policy will get you hosed. If you've got $5k in mods on a $30k car, for example, and you put a $35k stated value policy on it, if you're in an accident, all that will happen is the company will find you another car of the same make/model/year or fix the one you've got because either option is cheaper than paying out. Adding an insurance rider is an option but not all companies offer that service. I try to go this route when I can because it's more honest to me. You're paying extra for the additional coverage on the modifications.

Basically, you have to document everything, save your receipts (I scan mine and keep a single PDF with all the mod purchases in it) and if they turn you down the first time, you get a layer straight off and let him deal with it. This is true regardless of having the insurance rider on your policy.
Right, we're not talking about a stated amount policy. You would need an endorsement for custom parts and equipment. The two are not the same.

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
nice, but you lost me a the CF seat molding. you need a better exhaust than that, time to visit Mark Malone for his "ubber tune!!!!"
As stated, this is a show car, so we get judged and points for interior work done. If it was just a daily driver, I'd probably have just gone OEM+, but this car was purpose built and had everything mapped out.

No point in getting a better exhaust as long as that DPF is still on there and when/if I ever take it off, I'll be getting the rest of the piping Akrapovic which I challenge you to find something that much better. :D

I was debating Malone for my tune as well, but Revo was the one who stepped up to the plate to hook me up with their v1.5 and v2.0 TDI tunes as well as performing the install themselves (which I'm going in for in the next hour).

I've got aftermarket insurance and copies of all my receipts :)

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i forgot this tdi is for sitting, not driving, well good luck and enjoy!

keep posting the updates, it's interesting to see what extream things are out there.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Love absolutely everything about the car.
Well, almost everything. It's missing a pedal and those CF seat sides are just ew ew ew ew.

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
i forgot this tdi is for sitting, not driving, well good luck and enjoy!

keep posting the updates, it's interesting to see what extream things are out there.
Please read lol. Daily driven show car. I drive this nearly every day for work, and show on weekends :D Multitasking.

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Love absolutely everything about the car.
Well, almost everything. It's missing a pedal and those CF seat sides are just ew ew ew ew.
I hate driving LA traffic in Manual, otherwise I would have probably gotten one. The DSG isn't bad though.

I actually want to take off the CF side seats as they keep popping off due to how ridged the CF are compared to the flexibility of the plastic underneath. I'll eventually get re-upholstered or just go Recaros or Status seats once my current seats start fraying.

bthor

TDI
2010 jetta
who does REVO tunes in southern cal

I live in north San Diego county.
thx b:confused:

Polak

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDi SEL
I was debating Malone for my tune as well, but Revo was the one who stepped up to the plate to hook me up with their v1.5 and v2.0 TDI tunes as well as performing the install themselves (which I'm going in for in the next hour).

I've got aftermarket insurance and copies of all my receipts :)
This friday he'll be installing the new version 1.5 of the TDI software that fixes the DSG issue
Did revo release V1.5 yet? I have Revo on my car (DSG) and I have some issues under hard acceleration.

Last edited:

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
H:eek:LY...

Your Golf is gorgeous. The other project cars ain't bad, either. :cool:
Ditto that. I may ask you some questions as well, when the times come.

What does the switching to the euroswitch get you? My 2012 Golf with Technology Package (currently getting built) comes with HIDs and Fogs, so what would a euroswitch do. Parking Lights?

JasonD

TDI
2011 JSW
MPs and base police are pretty cool about it, but it'll vary base to base. Their job is mainly to keep the facility secure as opposed to bother the rest of us with fix-it tickets.
+1...MP's are not there to hassle you.