R32 brake upgrade- anything missing & un-intended consequences???

Addamsonflint

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
R32 brake upgrade- anything missing & un-intended install consequences???

Hey everyone,

I'm doing my R32 front brake upgrade this weekend in conjunction with VR6 half-shafts. I'm pretty excited about it, but don't want to miss anything (especially when my whole freakin' front end is apart).

Also, after reading lots of posts here and on vortex, I'm aware of the additional effects on handling/steering due to all the additional unsprung weight. I am amazed at how heavy the rotors are in comparison to my 280mm's.

My questions are:

1- Am I missing anything part-wise???

I have:

2- VR6 half-shafts w/ axle bolts
2- 108mm flanges w/ seals, bolts (flange to trans)
12- bolts axle-to-flange
2- VR6 spindles w/ new bearings, hubs, and ABS sensors
2- new ball joints
2- new R32 dust shields w/ screws (may need add'l modding?)
2- new sway-bar end-links
(using existing tie-rod ends which are new)
2- R32 calipers w/ clips
2- GLI brake lines (R32's are too long)
2- R32 caliper carriers w/ bolts for carrier-to-spindle
2- bigass heavy rotors
2- sets of pads

Running 18's already for any fitment issues.

I did refer to the following posts for some parts:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=239366

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112307&highlight=r32+brakes+ecs

(I know it's MkV- but more for reference and some part#'s are the same)

AM I MISSING ANYTHING?

My second question is:

What should I do suspension-wise to accomodate for the additional weight?

I have inexpensive ($400) Raceland coil-overs on now- but they really haven't performed well for me. Any "moderate" bump knocks so hard I feel it all through my subframe, which is why I was already considering what I should change to, especially now with the added weight.

I know you get what you pay for- but it can be hard to apply that adage sometimes when doing that poor-thing. I want to do something respectable, but balance it as best I can with being cost-effective. Salvage yards are often a good happy-median for that- I picked up my R32 calipers w/carriers for $75 a piece shipped :D

Any issues with running a OEM GLI spring setup with some really good struts? (I do want to keep my low stance)

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who's done the upgrade. Any time, money, and especially frustration I can save learning from others experiences, as well as avoiding any nasty surprises, would help tremendously.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Looks like you have everything for the upgrade.

You could look for a nice set of used coilovers. Like Koni, KW, Bilstein, etc.

Probably the best way to get the performance you are looking for and still keep your stance.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
My car in the below picture had the R32 front and rear brakes installed. The stopping power was just amaizing. My suspension was a Bilstein BTS (Bilstein Sport + Race coil spring). I drove that on Longbeach wheels without any issues. These brake+suspension combo made a total change to my car, it was like a brand new car but, way better. driving was extremely tight, just like a professionnal racing car.

I am not sure why but I think it was due to my brake booster from a non-ESP equipped Golf TDI compare to the R32 that has ESP, as soon as I would touch the brake, it would brake hard, very hard. It took a few braking practice but once mastered, nothing could compare to this. I think that having an ESP-equipped car would have make the brakes more "progressive" but I got used to it and trully enjoyed it like that.

I tested these brakes my own way. I did 5 consecutive braking test, the first one was 180 to 0 and 4 times 120 to 0 (km/h) in just about 2 minutes and the braking power would still not suffer at all from this abuse. I also had the vented rear R32brakes (with GLI carrier)

Addamsonflint

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
The feedback is all good stuff to know. I wanted to at least make sure I wasn't missing anything glaring or hugely impactive. From feedback here and on vortex, it seems like, as long as I make some thoughtful educated decisions, options are fairly open without any huge trade-offs or consequences in choice.

Any of you veterans have input on running GLI springs with really good struts?

Addamsonflint

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
My car in the below picture had the R32 front and rear brakes installed. The stopping power was just amaizing. My suspension was a Bilstein BTS (Bilstein Sport + Race coil spring). I drove that on Longbeach wheels without any issues. These brake+suspension combo made a total change to my car, it was like a brand new car but, way better. driving was extremely tight, just like a professionnal racing car.

I am not sure why but I think it was due to my brake booster from a non-ESP equipped Golf TDI compare to the R32 that has ESP, as soon as I would touch the brake, it would brake hard, very hard. It took a few braking practice but once mastered, nothing could compare to this. I think that having an ESP-equipped car would have make the brakes more "progressive" but I got used to it and trully enjoyed it like that.

I tested these brakes my own way. I did 5 consecutive braking test, the first one was 180 to 0 and 4 times 120 to 0 (km/h) in just about 2 minutes and the braking power would still not suffer at all from this abuse. I also had the vented rear R32brakes (with GLI carrier)

Your ESP issues are oddly troubling. While I haven't come across this issue in my research (I've read so many R32 brake upgrade posts my brain hurts) and some of them have mentioned the issue/challenge of additional rotated mass impacting steering, none have mentioned ESP issues, but it would make sense. Just like turning a spinning bicycle way back in science class, the force to turn that mass, especially more mass, increases significantly, which could start to wear on steering-related parts subversively in ways one might not initially consider...until they break of course....lol