Wheel lock missing? Now what?

TDI_Dog

Veteran Member
TDI
none - yet. Used to have a '02 MK4 Golf GLS TDI
I put my car in the shop last night - get some new treads. The shop called me this morning asking where I hid the wheel lock?

It's been a good year since the car was in a shop that did anything with the wheels - apparently the last shop didnt return the wheel lock to its rightful place by the spare. Not in the glove box either.

Now what.

The shop said "we can cut it off?" :eek: I said - ah, no. Lets look for another solution. (mind you - the shop wasnt the mechanic that said that - it was the receptionist making the call - but still ???)

Now what do I do. They are calling the dealer - trying to get a duplicate from them.:confused:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, this is why I recommend chucking those useless things in the trash as soon as you get the car...but I also have a master set for VAG vehicles, so no probs here. There are only about 10 different ones, the dealer should be able to take them off for you. Then you can just buy 4 normal wheel bolts (and covers if applicable) and never worry about this again.

Although when they break, you need to cut or chisel them off, or use one of the several removers on the market. Sometimes this marks up the wheel.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Replace with normal bolts as soon as they can get them off.. I have, and still have my lockbolts / "key" stored in the car.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Count the number of points or flats on the nut and send them to me. I'll send you the part number.

Be aware that some lugnuts had points like a star, and some have little flats. It's importand to distinguish between the two.

Dealer stocks them. They sell you a key and matching lug bolt for about $20.

TDI_Dog

Veteran Member
TDI
Good news / bad news. Good news - the tire company just so had their tools supply guy stop by right at the moment of trying to figure out how to get the wheel locks off. Guess what - he had a tool that would do that! They called me and said they just bought this fancy tool and for 1/2 hour labor all 4 could be removed and they can proceed to get the tires installed.

Great I said.

I called my girlfriend and told her - and she had a fit. She called the tire place and they said it destroyed the wheel locks and she called me back and threw a bigger fit! This is the bad part.

Now, she is mad at me and I need to buy a new set of lug nuts (4 of them). Any one know the cost of a new set of lug-nuts?

TDI_Dog

Veteran Member
TDI
Cant - I sold her the car. Last time the wheels were removed - the car was in my ownership. I should have checked for the part a year and a half ago - never thought about it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
They're just a few dollars each, including new covers (the locking bolts have diff covers than the normal bolts)

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
TDI_Dog said:
Cant - I sold her the car. Last time the wheels were removed - the car was in my ownership. I should have checked for the part a year and a half ago - never thought about it.
You really are a dog! :D