Flywheel machining for more pressure.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this. I have to send a flywheel out for machining pretty soon and was think about getting them to machine extra off the pressure plate mounting surface to increase the spring force on the disk. They will already be there to skim off whatever material they took off the disk surface to even it out anyways, so it would a cheap modification I'm sure. What are your guys thoughts?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
It will just make the clutch pick up closer to the floor, and if too much is milled off the clutch won't be able to fully release, making it rather difficult to drive...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
It will just make the clutch pick up closer to the floor, and if too much is milled off the clutch won't be able to fully release, making it rather difficult to drive...
nope, hydraulics are auto-adjusting

ETA:
cut off too much of the step and you'll actually get lower clamp load, as the diaphragm does over-center partway through release bearing travel, and they carefully position this transition very slightly before the PP releases the disc, cut it the other way and you get a clutch that's tough to modulate as the pedal pressure spikes just before it bites. Really common mistake that aftermarket clutches have, exceptionally noticeable with a stiff PP.

Last edited:

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Guys,

A standard (Not a self adjusting) diaphragm spring returns its clamping force over what you can describe as a bell curve. At new you get the initial clamping force, the disc wear a bit and the clamping force actually increases. Continue the wear to the discs worn out dimension and the clamping force is pretty much the same as new disc thickness.

If you do something to make the disc seem thinner you might gain some clamping force but you're also moving its service life to the worn out position.

This graph is a correct representation of a clampload curve for a standard diaphragm spring.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgrannys.tripod.com%2Fdiaphragmpressurecurve.png&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fclutchtamer.com%2F&docid=Evc2uH_dCQ1TnM&tbnid=zaWEF-OZAUSqbM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiwyI3Uv5_VAhVDeCYKHUiyCt8QMwguKAQwBA..i&w=396&h=303&bih=638&biw=1366&q=clutch%20diaphragm%20spring%20clampoad%20curve&ved=0ahUKEwiwyI3Uv5_VAhVDeCYKHUiyCt8QMwguKAQwBA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Matt-98AHU

TDI
nope, hydraulics are auto-adjusting

ETA:
cut off too much of the step and you'll actually get lower clamp load, as the diaphragm does over-center partway through release bearing travel, and they carefully position this transition very slightly before the PP releases the disc, cut it the other way and you get a clutch that's tough to modulate as the pedal pressure spikes just before it bites. Really common mistake that aftermarket clutches have, exceptionally noticeable with a stiff PP.
Doesn't matter if the hydraulics are auto adjusting or not, you take off too much from the ring gear in an effort to keep more pressure on the springs, there will be less space to fully release the clutch. I've experienced what happens to a car when the flywheel isn't machined correctly.

Kind of strange, because it feels like the pick up point is about right for full engagement, but with your foot to the floor, the clutch never fully releases, thus making it very difficult to shift and impossible to get into gear at a standstill without first shutting the car off.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Doesn't matter if the hydraulics are auto adjusting or not, you take off too much from the ring gear in an effort to keep more pressure on the springs, there will be less space to fully release the clutch. I've experienced what happens to a car when the flywheel isn't machined correctly.
Kind of strange, because it feels like the pick up point is about right for full engagement, but with your foot to the floor, the clutch never fully releases, thus making it very difficult to shift and impossible to get into gear at a standstill without first shutting the car off.
How much did you take off? The usual amount of squeeze you'd add on a toyota where it's a pretty common mod is something like .01"

I guess I could see even that causing troubles on one of these though, they do only run about a sixteenth of an inch of clearance from the clutch cover to the inside face of the trans bellhousing.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Tis true, even on hydraulics, take off too much and they can't compensate, and you get the dreaded low pedal. Had it happen and it sucks, lol.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
How much did you take off? The usual amount of squeeze you'd add on a toyota where it's a pretty common mod is something like .01"
I guess I could see even that causing troubles on one of these though, they do only run about a sixteenth of an inch of clearance from the clutch cover to the inside face of the trans bellhousing.
*I* didn't take anything off. It was a new aftermarket flywheel that wasn't quite machined right from the factory...