200k and Transmission fluid

voodoojoe

TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI (bought it with 15 miles on the odometer)
I am coming up on 200k miles on my 2005 Golf TDI. At my last trip to the dealer for a time belt change out, I asked about changing the transmission fluid, he stated it never needs to be changed!

I am thinking along the lines about wear on the transmission parts and small bits of metal. I am looking for recommendations on changing the transmission fluid. Any thoughts on this?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I don't know what the fluid change interval is on an '05 TDI. What sort of transmission does it have? If it's a DSG like our '13 Passat, I can promise you that the dealer is full of it, since the DSG has a 40K mile service interval, both oil and filter. If it's a standard slushbox, I can't imagine that it wouldn't benefit from a change, i.e., if the car were mine I'd do it.

{NB: possibly OT discussion follows}

Our older car (an '04 SAAB 9-5 wagon) has no service interval on its 5-speed manual transmission......and yet the dealer stocked the oil!?! The problem seems to be that in order to access the drain / fill holes, the front subframe has to be dropped, to the tune of several hundred dollars in labor. I had it done at 120K, cost us around $400, the mechanic said the oil was "a little brown, but it didn't smell burned." This is a pretty good indication that he's done the transmission service numerous times before, in spite of the fact that there is no service interval.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The op' s car probably has a standard trans. In which case I'd recommend changing the mtf @ 100-150k mile intervals. It's an easy job.
If it's the 01M automatic trans., 60k miles is a good interval. Most 01M auto trans. never make it to 200k miles.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
2005 is probably Jatco 5spd auto. Factory never recommended a service, but every 50K is recommended on the new Aisan 6spd auto.

Here is my recommendation from working several different car lines - if it has NEVER been serviced (or to your knowledge has never been serviced) DO NOT SERVICE IT. If you have already done service every 40k or 50k miles then go ahead and service it.

Jason

voodoojoe

TDI
All thanks for responding...My TDI has a 5spd automatic transmission. To this date the transmission oil has never been changed, nor have I seen an interval change recommendation. I have read (not in this forum) that if you elect to change the fluid you are flirting with disaster down the road. Which as SilverGhost has suggested, that if it has never been serviced don't service it. I do have a vacuum system that would allow me to draw some fluid out of fill hole, then I could check for any metal bits in the oil. Maybe this would help to determine if the oil should be changed. My intent is to have this car go another 200k. I have had the timing belt and water pump changed out by the dealer and VW (I was to Corporate) gifted me a new computer control module.

voodoojoe

TDI
All thanks for responding...My TDI has a 5spd automatic transmission. To this date the transmission oil has never been changed, nor have I seen an interval change recommendation. I have read (not in this forum) that if you elect to change the fluid you are flirting with disaster down the road. Which as SilverGhost has suggested, that if it has never been serviced don't service it. I do have a vacuum system that would allow me to draw some fluid out of fill hole, then I could check for any metal bits in the oil. Maybe this would help to determine if the oil should be changed. My intent is to have this car go another 200k. I have had the timing belt and water pump changed out by the dealer and VW (I was to Corporate) gifted me a new computer control module.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You're not likely to find any metal bits in the fluid. The color and smell of the fluid can tell you a lot though. If it's no longer red, but brown or black and smells awful you have problems. Good luck!