This is Nuts. I Keep Getting Codes 16485 / P0101

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I have been getting this check engine code come up once a week or everytime i full throttle up long hills

I changed the maf sensor off another golf that was working flawless
fuel filter & airfilter
camshaft & timing belt change
egr cleanup
etc

I tried so many things to fix this but i need help

I am trying to think if my torsion value is not correct would it trigger this?

Or maybe my manifold needs cleaning?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Implausible leads me to think that either there's an air leak after the maf, or the egr isn't opening/clogged.
How's the pcv line look? Could be broken causing a leak.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I will take apart the egr valve again to check if the shaft shows signs of being used

other lines and hoses look good i inspected it all; im leaning towards the egr and manifold needs cleaning

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
More update -

My airbox has holes in the bottom of it from someone drilling but would this cause the CEL?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Shouldn't, the holes are before the MAF.

Pressure test the accordion hose to see if it leaks and quadruple check the PCV.
A bad o-ring there can do weird things and sometimes there are cracks in the accordion that aren't visible.
My PCV hose was brittle and broke easily. sometimes there's a crack in the accordion section of it too.

Implausible says more air is entering the system than is being recorded.

A bad MAF seal could let unmetered air in also. Sufficient enough to cause the code, I don't know.

Remember, the ecm compares the MAF value and the EGR value with actual and the main factors to an implausible is the MAF not showing the air (bad MAF), air entering after the MAF not being metered. And the EGR not opening fully as the computer expects.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Hmm i am checking the CCV and alot of oil buildup inside but for the most part everything else looks good and intact; Still have to check EGR valve if its showing signs of use or stuck/broken

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Well it came back on so i ordered a bosch maf sensor and im checking the egr valve monday,

if i remove the egr valve and leave it plugged in while the car is on will that show me if the valve is working or not?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
You can verify that the valve moves by using a MitiVac to check it and also see if it leaks.
Tee the MitiVac after the N18 to check that it's working, too.

Last edited:

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf

I will have to look into that as i am not familiar with mityvac

Here are photos of the manifold and egr valve

Cleaned the egr valve and it looks spotless; debating if its worth tearing into the manifold to clean it up

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can verify that the valve moves by using a MitiVac to check it and also see if it leaks.
Tee the MitiVac after the N18 to check that it's working, too.
None of that applies to the OP's car.

Normally, a P0101 if it is not the MAF itself is a sign of the beginnings of a charge air leak just starting somewhere, but not yet bad enough to trigger a P0299 low boost DTC.

I would start looking for any signs of oil seeping out from any of the charge air snap fit connections. On the BEW G/J, it is quite common to see the one at the intake flap come loose, there is a piece you can fix it known as a "dog collar". But the connection out of the turbo, and on both sides of the charge air cooler, as well as the cooler itself getting holes worn in the core from the cooling air duct behind the bumper cover.

I would also (since it is easy) pull the EGR valve and make certain it is all the way seated. You can also do an output test with VCDS and watch the valve move in and out, just leave it plugged in and laying on the valve cover.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf

Normally, a P0101 if it is not the MAF itself is a sign of the beginnings of a charge air leak just starting somewhere, but not yet bad enough to trigger a P0299 low boost DTC.

I would start looking for any signs of oil seeping out from any of the charge air snap fit connections. On the BEW G/J, it is quite common to see the one at the intake flap come loose, there is a piece you can fix it known as a "dog collar". But the connection out of the turbo, and on both sides of the charge air cooler, as well as the cooler itself getting holes worn in the core from the cooling air duct behind the bumper cover.

I would also (since it is easy) pull the EGR valve and make certain it is all the way seated. You can also do an output test with VCDS and watch the valve move in and out, just leave it plugged in and laying on the valve cover.

Nice, well i started with the maf sensor as i used one that was off an ALH motor; i passed smog with that maf sensor but now (6 months later) CEL keeps coming on; So i ordered the revised BEW maf sensor hoping it will fix it

once i pull the EGR out again i will look into the output test with VCDS (not sure how to do that but ill try to figure it out)

I noticed the snap connections are a bit loose but no major oil around any of them (by the turbo, intercooler with hose locations)

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
OP, apparently your BEW doesn't have a vacuum actuated EGR.:eek:

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Correct. All the 4cyl PDs sold here have electric EGR valves and intake flaps. The BEW has a vacuum actuated EGR cooler bypass valve as well as a vacuum operated twin port intake, along with the vacuum operated VNT like the others.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
So i have vcds connected and with the egr valve out on top of the valve cover still connected, i go to output tests and get an error message that says something like "not found" or unavailable; what am i doing wrong? im checking ross techs page and seems the same to me

Also i am installing the maf sensor today or tomorrow and will post if that fixed it!

oilhammer

TDI
I do not know the answer to this, but is there a "lesser" version of VCDS that does not allow output tests?

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
maybe, I have the genuine hex + can but maybe only different cables allow this output test?

Im testing out the new maf sensor to see if i still get the code reading; (please fix this problem)