looking for induction mods to hear the compressor.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Blow-off valve. Sounds cool and the honda guys will be impressed. ;)

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I prefer this forum for the mature responses and educated members.
Bov won't work on diesel. You know this turbobrick. ��
My other diesel has a late model intake and is significantly louder that the early model counterpart. It appears no one has tried a different counterpart from another vw model.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was joking, hence the winking emoji. But a BOV will absolutely work on a turbo diesel. It just won't serve any purpose other than making cool whooshy sounds. :)

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I was joking, hence the winking emoji. But a BOV will absolutely work on a turbo diesel. It just won't serve any purpose other than making cool whooshy sounds. :)
AHHH, the mobile version didn't populate the text reply with emoji.

bov:confused:... money better spent on a dpf delete and tune no?

After much searching about synthetic dry flow filters it appears its just a waste. ill find something else to buy. :D its been stock for 120k

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
You could gut the turbo outlet damper or replace with the Neuspeed piece that is available. I say exhaust and tune is the way to go though!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
My 2010 JSW had audible turbo at low speed and idle. The spool up whistle when you touch the accel pedal was nice. Miss it.:(

There is a brand new turbo in my ALH wagon that is clearly audible at idle, but disappears as soon as it spools up. In this case, I will just be grateful that it is NOT audible except at idle! And the longer it doesn't change, the better ;)

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I was going to suggest to run it without an air filter or air filter cover but being that we are all so mature here, I won't.;)

But seriously, these cars just don't make much turbo whine. Just the way it is. I suppose there are folks on the Tesla forum that want to hear transformer noise and arcing and sparking sounds on their Tesla cars.:rolleyes:

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Rawtek exhaust and Malone tune does result in audible turbo whistle amongst other things. Absurdly expensive for just a sound effect of course... It did solve much winter unreliability - but I doubt you would have those issues in South Carolina

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What about installing that engine soundmaker device from a GTI? its some long German word that's really 3-4 different words, audiofunkcongentorator or something like that.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Open up the exhaust - the other side of the turbo will whistle quite nicely.

Or run it with no air filter *Sarcasm*

Side note - you want "intelligent" answers from *Educated* members of the site, posing the question on how to make your car louder for no reason other than to make your car louder.

I like the juxtaposition of seeking those specifically for such a frivolous request *rolleyes*

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
:( it's wrong to enjoy turbo noise

Open up the exhaust - the other side of the turbo will whistle quite nicely.

Or run it with no air filter *Sarcasm*

Side note - you want "intelligent" answers from *Educated* members of the site, posing the question on how to make your car louder for no reason other than to make your car louder.

I like the juxtaposition of seeking those specifically for such a frivolous request *rolleyes*

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most of us like a little whistle I think. You're just not going to get fast and furious sounds from the little factory turbos.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Most of us like a little whistle I think. You're just not going to get fast and furious sounds from the little factory turbos.
You think wrong, many here complain about how their car isn't quite enough i.e. too much wind noise yet you want to here the turbo whistle good grief man. VW did a great job getting rid of the diesel clatter and intake noise for a reason, cool, quite, and comfortable. The new cars are not your Daddy's Oldsmobile. Children should just grow up. I'll bet the OP would like a fart can muffler if he could get that noise too.

Last edited:

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Children should just grow up. I'll bet the OP would like a fart can muffler if he could get that noise too.
Ouch... so maybe I enjoy turbo noise, choppy cams and tire smoke. Neither of my cars are distastefully modified. I truly enjoyed modified cars if it's done tastefully.

If pictures aren't visible, click on them. Photobucket is now asking for money to hotlink. Currently looking into a new way of posting pictures.

Last edited:

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
You're as free to indulge your hobby as anyone else! I would not myself spend money on car sound effects - but I'm quite happy with the turbo whistle that resulted from a project to improve reliability and fuel economy. Performance increase was a bonus.

Clicking one of your pictures resulted in endless Photobucket ads, I have fairly slow internet and never got to the final picture.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
I have a CR170 turbo with the Nuespeed compressor outlet... Would sell together with the inlet pipe....

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Not wrong just silly and childish.
Just like this post ^....

Not sure why some folks feel the need to publicly bash other's opinions on rather normal topics for a turbo diesel forum. I quite enjoy the whistle from my 17/22 in the Jetta.

I'd take Travis up in his offer though ?