Gen II 3.0 speculation(s).

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
Went to check 3 VIN's on the vw claims portal to see what money was still on them. All showed full $9,000 (thereabouts), but when I inputed my mom's 2014 Q7 that they already took half of the money on, it's still showing full $9,000.

Am I using the wrong place to check on the moneys?

I am trying to help a buddy out and ran the numbers and the full amount showed on one he is looking at. The dealership that is selling the car told him it was a former lease and the lady did claim the car. But she turned it in awhile ago and the site still shows full amount. So I dont know how updated it is now.

Mxrado

TDI
Audi Q7 Cayenne
I am trying to help a buddy out and ran the numbers and the full amount showed on one he is looking at. The dealership that is selling the car told him it was a former lease and the lady did claim the car. But she turned it in awhile ago and the site still shows full amount. So I dont know how updated it is now.
I just bought a 2014 Q7 Prestige from Alabama, which was showing full restitution... so VW better gets me full restitution!! Lol well I hope. I was basing my decision on that. I saw one that I liked better with adaptive cruise control and air suspension for slightly less but it showed only half the money for restitution... crap.

I am still sitting on my 2014 Cayenne. Thinking of waiting until October November to see if I get the other half... you guys think they are on time?

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
I just bought a 2014 Q7 Prestige from Alabama, which was showing full restitution... so VW better gets me full restitution!! Lol well I hope. I was basing my decision on that. I saw one that I liked better with adaptive cruise control and air suspension for slightly less but it showed only half the money for restitution... crap.
I am still sitting on my 2014 Cayenne. Thinking of waiting until October November to see if I get the other half... you guys think they are on time?
The ball is in the EPA's court right now VW submitted a fix a couple of months ago but apparently they didn't submit all the supporting documents from their testing so it was denied by the EPA but not because it didn't work just because they didn't submit the documents. They have since submitted the documents so they are just waiting on the EPA to approve it now. I would say they are probably on time at this point but if they have not got the green light from the EPA by the first deadline I my sure the courts will grant them the extensions listed in the court settlement since they do have a fix submitted.

Mxrado

TDI
Audi Q7 Cayenne
The ball is in the EPA's court right now VW submitted a fix a couple of months ago but apparently they didn't submit all the supporting documents from their testing so it was denied by the EPA but not because it didn't work just because they didn't submit the documents. They have since submitted the documents so they are just waiting on the EPA to approve it now. I would say they are probably on time at this point but if they have not got the green light from the EPA by the first deadline I my sure the courts will grant them the extensions listed in the court settlement since they do have a fix submitted.
Alright, I can sit on it for the next few months, storage insurance. Might be more convenient...

Here is a pic of an overflow of suvs. (These are all personal use). The grey Q7 is the one going back to Audi for the buy back on Thursday. I'll miss the air suspension and the straight dpf delete Malone tune growl and pull, but my wife couldn't care less... so happy wife..

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf

If I was thinking of keeping it, I would have gotten the adaptive cruise and air suspension. Different strokes. But when I got my Q5, to keep mind you, I was gonna go for the sport package, upgraded seats, paddle shifters, black headliner, and 20" wheels, lol!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Has anybody gotten their free oil change? I'm due fairly soon and wondered how to approach/call about it.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Has anybody gotten their free oil change? I'm due fairly soon and wondered how to approach/call about it.
I didn't know about a free oil change. I'd love to find out more details as well.

I just scheduled my 120k service and I'm planning to keep it, but maybe I'll go get the 130k oil change at the dealer. These 3.0's take a lot of oil!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
From this: LINKY

Additional Benefits for Generations One and Two
Additional benefits to Class Members with Generation One vehicles, and to Class Members with any
Generation Two vehicles for which an Emissions Compliant Repair does not timely become available,
include (1) a free AdBlue refill and free oil change while waiting for the emissions modification to be
performed on their vehicle or for the Buyback/Trade-In to be completed, (2) for those who select the
Buyback option, refunds for unused portions of certain extended warranties and vehicle service plans,
and (3) for those who select the Buyback or Trade-In options, forgiveness of auto loan obligations up to
an additional 30% of the Buyback or Trade-In amount.
Getting Information About Settlement Benefits

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Has this part been satisified yet? Is the repair "untimely" at this point?

Additional Benefits for Generations One and Two
Additional benefits to Class Members with Generation One vehicles, and to Class Members with any
Generation Two vehicles for which an Emissions Compliant Repair does not timely become available,
include (1) a free AdBlue refill and free oil change while waiting for the emissions modification to be
performed on their vehicle or for the Buyback/Trade-In to be completed, (2) for those who select the
Buyback option, refunds for unused portions of certain extended warranties and vehicle service plans,
and (3) for those who select the Buyback or Trade-In options, forgiveness of auto loan obligations up to
an additional 30% of the Buyback or Trade-In amount.
Getting Information About Settlement Benefits

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Not nearly yet. No oil changes for gen 2's unless and until the fix goes past due date for acceptance.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Well, it's Mid August and we haven't seen the Gen II fix approved yet...

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
What happens if we have received half the restitution for the fix,and VW doesn't provide the fix in time. Will we then be offered a buyback amount minus the half restitution money we have already received? The wife will be really disappointed as she enjoys her diesel Cayenne. I apologize if this has been discussed. Thanks TDIClub.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
What happens if we have received half the restitution for the fix,and VW doesn't provide the fix in time. Will we then be offered a buyback amount minus the half restitution money we have already received? The wife will be really disappointed as she enjoys her diesel Cayenne. I apologize if this has been discussed. Thanks TDIClub.
Yes you would get buyback money minus whatever you have already gotten. If you get the buyback, you will have enough money to buy her something she should love. If there is a buyback on my next round of a7's and q7's im gonna buy an r8..

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks Motodude! If her Cayenne gets bought back I may end up getting her a Tesla P90s. For her short around town drop-off/pick-up kids school, practice etc the electric car makes to much sense. No more motor/trans/diff service....just tires,brakes,and windshield wiper fluid. We wil see what's happens ....still a lot of time for VW to make things happen.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes you would get buyback money minus whatever you have already gotten. If you get the buyback, you will have enough money to buy her something she should love. If there is a buyback on my next round of a7's and q7's im gonna buy an r8..

R8...what year? :)

I have my eye on a 14 RS7, Yum!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
All quiet on the Gen II 3.0 Speculation front. I see that VW didn't meet the "Mid August" fix approval they had emailed the claims reps about. I have another buyback appointment Friday with my very friendly adviser, I will see what she will share.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
^No one knows anything. I've had reps say a fix would be ready in July, August, October, etc.

Only figure that matters: 47 days to the first deadline.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
My buyback ambassador said CARB rejected all of the fix plans last July, which is two months ago.

But this is just what he said. He knows no more than we do.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
^No one knows anything. I've had reps say a fix would be ready in July, August, October, etc.

Only figure that matters: 47 days to the first deadline.

You mean the October 23 deadline? Is it safe to assume if that particular deadline is missed, VW/Audi will likely miss the other two deadlines in the 3.0 group? I am in the December 20, 2017 group.

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Fingers crossed! We've got a Touareg and Q5 gen II that we love and will be just fine with keeping, but for the buyback amounts given I would wipe my tears away with hundred dollar bills if they have to go!

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
You mean the October 23 deadline? Is it safe to assume if that particular deadline is missed, VW/Audi will likely miss the other two deadlines in the 3.0 group? I am in the December 20, 2017 group.

Not necessarily, but the two are certainly positively related.

The Gen 2 PC vehicles have the biggest hill to climb, as the MPG losses permitted without triggering a buyback are expressed as a number (3 mpg), not a percentage.

So, the fix for a car like the A6 can only have a decrease in efficiency of 7.9% (with a highway mpg of 38), while a larger vehicle (like a Cayenne), could see up to a 15% decrease in efficiency and still have the fix approved.

I have found several 14's, a 15 and 1 16 for pretty good deals. Not the easiest car to sell.
You don't want a newer R8 - they depreciate quite badly until they are 6+ years old.

If you're going to spend your (potential) windfall on a car, get something collectible that will retain value or appreciate.

There are lots of limited production vehicles that will accomplish that, and still fulfilling the supercar-owning dream.
Pre-1999 Porsche 911s
911 GT3 / GT3 RS
Any V12 Lamborghini
Older Lamborghini Gallardos (done depreciating)
Virtually any Ferrari
2007-2009 911 Turbo
Etc.
Etc.

Last edited:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5

The Gen 2 PC vehicles have the biggest hill to climb, as the MPG losses permitted without triggering a buyback are expressed as a number (3 mpg), not a percentage.

So, the fix for a car like the A6 can only have a decrease in efficiency of 7.9% (with a highway mpg of 38), while a larger vehicle (like a Cayenne), could see up to a 15% decrease in efficiency and still have the fix approved.

You don't want a newer R8 - they depreciate quite badly until they are 6+ years old.

If you're going to spend your (potential) windfall on a car, get something collectible that will retain value or appreciate.

There are lots of limited production vehicles that will accomplish that, and still fulfilling the supercar-owning dream.
Pre-1999 Porsche 911s
911 GT3 / GT3 RS
Any V12 Lamborghini
Virtually any Ferrari
2007-2009 911 Turbo
Etc.
Etc.
Great information. I still don't understand why the Q5 is lumped into the 2 PC class (2014, 2015 and 2016 Audi A6s, A7s, A8s, A8Ls, and Q5s), but that may work to my advantage with respect to the mpg reduction requirement.

Are you sure they MUST buy the car back if there is a 3 mpg reduction? I read this:
In addition, if that repair causes reduced performance, VW will have to pay $500 for each affected vehicle. Reduced performance in the settlement as:
(1) a reduction in calculated fuel economy using the EPA formula of more than 3 MPG; (2) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak horsepower; or (3) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak torque.
(It says a $500, not a forced buyback by VW/Audi).

http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-volkswagens-3-0-liter-1791924703

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Se.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE_Oer30cZyW-yyZeBlYOGenPAVtw

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
Great information. I still don't understand why the Q5 is lumped into the 2 PC class (2014, 2015 and 2016 Audi A6s, A7s, A8s, A8Ls, and Q5s), but that may work to my advantage with respect to the mpg reduction requirement.

Are you sure they MUST buy the car back if there is a 3 mpg reduction? I read this:
In addition, if that repair causes reduced performance, VW will have to pay $500 for each affected vehicle. Reduced performance in the settlement as:
(1) a reduction in calculated fuel economy using the EPA formula of more than 3 MPG; (2) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak horsepower; or (3) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak torque.
(It says a $500, not a forced buyback by VW/Audi).

http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-volkswagens-3-0-liter-1791924703

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Se.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE_Oer30cZyW-yyZeBlYOGenPAVtw
I misspoke, you are correct. Extra $500 per vehicle, not buyback trigger.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI

Pre-1999 Porsche 911s
911 GT3 / GT3 RS
Any V12 Lamborghini
Virtually any Ferrari
2007-2009 911 Turbo
Etc.
Etc.
You've been quiet lately, still buying or are you done?