Green Diesel Engineering Beta Testing Review

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
Agreed, and this is only the first tank. I hope to see slight increases over the next few, just because I'll be less heavy footed, now that I've played a little.

Overall extremely happy with this.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
We should have another tank here in about a week, with just commuting. All of the other tanks were either the trip (2 kayaks on top) or the 1/2&1/2 tank. If the display was correct (which it wont be), it should be around the 41mpg mark. Mind you, we still have the crossbars and the kayak holders in place. That would be about +6MPG over stock tune which was around the ~35MPG mark

Also, we leave in a month on a trip over to Lincoln, Ne, then down to Arkansas, Texas, and then back. It will be interesting to see what the highway, 75MPH cruise will net MPG wise. My MKIV will do mid to high 40's easily at those speeds easily.

Last edited:

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
When you did your initial download of your fuel map from your vehicle to the device, which model did you select in the tuner/control box? I have done the update to the control box and of course because it is still in beta, the 2ltr engine is not available to select as an option.

I'm waiting on a return call from GDE but thought maybe someone on the forum can tell me what you did for the initial reading of your ecu.

More so, I do not want to do the wrong thing.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited:

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
When you did your initial download of your fuel map from your vehicle to the device, which model did you select in the tuner/control box? I have done the update to the control box and of course because it is still in beta, the 2ltr engine is not available to select as an option.

I'm waiting on a return call from GDE but thought maybe someone on the forum can tell me what you did for the initial reading of your ecu.

More so, I do not want to do the wrong thing.

Thanks,
Frank
It was the last choice.....Golf>CFFB>140hp.....something like that. Sent you a PM.

Last edited:

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
"Volkswagen -> Golf -> VI 2000 140hp CFFB"

Straight from Keith's email to me. I'm assuming this is standard across the board, for all of us, but I would follow up with Keith before you do it, just incase. I have a 13 Sedan DSG, may be different for a 14?

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I just had a conversation with Chris, 1001_lb-ft, and he mentioned that I needed an initial file from GDE to load into my hardware. I'm waiting on that from GDE now...

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I had to wait over the weekend for them to get back to me. Made the weekend long! But they should contact you Monday. You have to send them your stock file, they modify it, then send it back to you. You can drive your car during the in between time.

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Matt contacted me today, but unfortunately I am using my wife's computer and wont be able to mess with it again until Monday or Tuesday evening.

Tomorrow I will be at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for Pole Day.

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
Not a big update but I filled up again today.

Another 44.6mpg.

Between the ~6mpg increase and the power increase, I'd say I'm a happy camper.

Installed a DieselGeek Panzer plate this past weekend, we'll see if that affects anything moving forward.

Am I the only one who puts a crap load of miles on their car? I want to see some updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Not a big update but I filled up again today.

Another 44.6mpg.

Between the ~6mpg increase and the power increase, I'd say I'm a happy camper.

Installed a DieselGeek Panzer plate this past weekend, we'll see if that affects anything moving forward.

Am I the only one who puts a crap load of miles on their car? I want to see some updates.

Sorry Brother, only about 25 miles a day on the JSW. As of last night 200ish miles on current tank with the computer saying 350ish to go. I'll have something soon.

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I run about 45 miles a day but haven't been able to get my car set up just yet.

I should be able to pull the factory tune off of my car and sent to GDE this evening. Hopefully the new tune is on the car by the weekend!

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
Sorry Brother, only about 25 miles a day on the JSW. As of last night 200ish miles on current tank with the computer saying 350ish to go. I'll have something soon.

I'm actually surprised by this, my computer shows 650miles on a full tank, surprised your not seeing ~450 remaining. Interesting. I guess I'll check back in 2 weeks.

My commute is ~70 miles round trip daily, and I tend to go on short road trips most weekends, so a tank only usually lasts me 8-9 days on average.

m_shelton

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6-speed
Finally got the tune loaded last night after having some computer trouble getting the file to download from GDE but Matt helped me through it. I'm impressed by how quickly they answered my questions and got me set-up. The car seems to be more responsive and the acceleration seems smoother. Hopefully after a road trip this weekend I'll see what kind of fuel mileage gain it netted.

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Finally got the tune loaded last night after having some computer trouble getting the file to download from GDE but Matt helped me through it. I'm impressed by how quickly they answered my questions and got me set-up. The car seems to be more responsive and the acceleration seems smoother. Hopefully after a road trip this weekend I'll see what kind of fuel mileage gain it netted.
Have fun with it during your trip. Let us know how it goes.

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I was able to pull my factory tune/data from the car and emailed to Matt last night. He quickly responded that he would work on it and should have it back to me before the end of the day today.

If all goes as planned, I should be able to get it uploaded this evening to the car. :D

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
I was able to pull my factory tune/data from the car and emailed to Matt last night. He quickly responded that he would work on it and should have it back to me before the end of the day today.

If all goes as planned, I should be able to get it uploaded this evening to the car. :D
Waiting on you Marine!

Very Respectfully,
Your friendly neighborhood Seabee :D

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Waiting on you Marine!
Semper Gumby!

I'm still waiting on GDE to send me the file and actually, it will work out great. I'm at 1/4 of a tank and I will need to get fuel tomorrow, so I won't be adding the tune to the middle of a tank of fuel.

Last edited:

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Aaaannnnnnddddd we are up and running!

From the beginning, there was some confusion on my part because I needed the beta file from GDE, which I was unaware of. If you are buying a tune that is already available, there would be no confusion.

Both the software and hardware is very easy to use. If you are able to follow some very simple instructions, you will have no issues installing the GDE software, pulling your factory tune, emailing it to them, and installing their hot tune. I have about 30min of time involved in this entire process. Oh yeah, the program is designed for a PC, not a MAC.

If i had to sum up my initial reaction in one word, it would be smooth.

I was able to install the tune this evening and have to say that the tune is very smooth! The car seems more loud at idle and the turbo is definitely louder. Several others have mentioned the hard shifting at first, which I did not experience at all. I only drove the car around the block, 4-5 miles at most, but can tell a difference in how the engine responds. It doesn’t feel more powerful, but it does feel more linear and responsive.

In sport mode, the car pulls all of the way to redline and shifts very smooth. It actually spun the tires going into third gear.

Typically, when roaming around town, my fuel economy would drop on the gauge that indicates average fuel economy. Not the case after the tune, my average fuel economy meter actually increased.

I will continue to report on my findings. :cool:

Last edited:

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
I am netting a solid 36.1mpg long long term doing city driving with lyft. Its gone up very slowly but up indeed. I still feel i have low speed low gear low power shifting issues and i do not know if it will adapt. Matt said they remapped the pedal so that what i suspect is the case but other than that seems good. I do not think i gained another 70 lbs of torque or 20 horse power but i do not have a dyno either. Maybe i dont drive it agressively enough to tell. I am testing this for fuel economy but exrra power is welcome. Besides...if i had 20 horse and 70 lbs the dsg would beed a remap as well.

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
What type of fuel economy were you seeing pre-tune? When my wife drove our Jetta, she only drove what I would call city driving, rarely hitting the highway. In the around 17,000 miles I logged, she averaged 27mpg.

Also, my drive to work put a huge **** eating grin on my face. Of course this is my first commute, but my average mpg according to the gauge was 51.4 where I was seeing around 44ish on that same gauge.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
how are you guys signing up to be beta testers?

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
My fuel economy before tune averaged 29.5 mpg for 2 full tanks. Highest being 31 and lowest 28 mpg. Right now i am sitting at a solid 36 mpg. There is deffinately a difference between hot and cool weather but this is probably just my ac usage. I drive for lyft so this is just city driving with occasional highway. Its not california stop and go traffic its more occasional stop and go with lots of idling. My milage is still increasing but very slowely. If i get to 40 mpg while doing lyft i would be very pleased lol.

Also tank before last i could not measure because when i went to fill up at my shell station the pump never shut off and spilled diesel over everything and blew my measurements.

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Just finished running my second full tank through the beast. It was mostly (75%) city driving, stop and go, with a few hard acceleration runs. I have a couple of DC round trips coming up on this tank of fuel, and I start my new job on Tuesday, so there will be more consistent "normal usage" of the vehicle.

Impressions after about 3 weeks of using the tune are impressive. I really like the throttle sensitivity with the tune. One of the biggest complaints I had about the vehicle before the tune was the delay from the time you step on the accelerator until you start moving. That issue is gone.

Mid range torque and acceleration are also improved. While the tune may be primarily to improve fuel economy, I love the fact that it ups the vehicles performance as well.

I am very excited to see how the long term performance and economy work out. If the first 2 tanks are any indication, I think this tune would pay for itself in short order (about a year at $2.10/g).

I would recommend these guys to anyone looking for a tune for their TDI. They have been great to work with and very responsive. Their instructions were very clear and even a person (me) who had never used an ODB scanner was able to complete the tune with zero issues.

Keep up the good work, and I will keep you guys posted as the testing continues.

Wayne

illtww

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI/DSG
2005.5 BRM w DSG tune

Email sent to Green Diesel!

Last edited:

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
I had a bizarre reading the other day. I made a loop up and then back down a hill I normally travel on. After i got to the bottom of the hill my long, long term fuel economy numbers jumped from 36mpgs to 87mpgs! This is not the instant fuel economy reading but the long, long term reading on screen #2. This has never happened before and I do not know what to make of it. I took several photos just to prove. The number slowly came down as I drove around over about 2 or 3 days until it has steadied at a low of 40 mpgs. Has not gone below 40 since then and typically runs from 40 to 43 mpgs. Prior to this I could not break 36mpgs with the same driving style either before and after the GDE tune. Any ideas?

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Long term mileage resets every 10,000 miles or 1000 hours IIRC, if you dont reset it yourself. You probably got to that point when you were coming down the hill.

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
Long term mileage resets every 10,000 miles or 1000 hours IIRC, if you dont reset it yourself. You probably got to that point when you were coming down the hill.

I reset all the monitors when i got the car ar 62346 miles. I now just passed 65000 miles. So my monitor number 2 jumped from 36mpg to 40mpg with no change in driving habit or style. I just confirmed i fueled up again at shell and i got 40.5 mpg. Maybe i had some poor quality diesel fuel? But would it affect me that long i doubt it becauae i had fueld up at different stations prior to the tune. Another hot day here so ac on all day ill see how it averages.