Oil Question just purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI sedan

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
This will be my second oil change, my first the dealership did and used some form of Castrol as that is on my sticker. What is the best oil I can get at an Advanced Auto or an O'Reillys? Is the Mobil 1 ESP good stuff? Also, what about a oil filter?

Thanks

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
You need an oil that meets VW spec 507. Its doubtful that you will find it at Advanced Auto or O'Reilly's, but PepBoys does carry Mobil1 ESP with the 507 rating.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
As said you need a 507 approved oil. Advance, O'Reillys etc have 507 oil but your store may not stock it and you'd have to special order it from them. There will likely only be one or two options at any store.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The mobil1 esp is an excellent oil. If you are beyond warranty, a 5w-40 meeting the MB229.51 spec. would be even better than the 507. As far as filters go, I like the Mann filters, but Wix, Hengst, and Mahle filters are also excellent.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I found that the dealership actually has competitive prices for the proper oil. I got 12 1l bottles packed nicely in a box for $130 iirc.

Also while we are on the subject of oil changes...
I use this to extract the oil:
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_...=2817&osCsid=205eb328353b4396222342e997f59e9c

It's best to extract when the car is still warm and with the car at a slight incline towards the dipstick. Insert all the way then mack it out a mm or two.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Over $10 a liter isn't competitive to me, I've not paid more than $7 a liter. My last purchase was $5.80 a quart.

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
kysid, what Oil do you get? I would love to find some for 5-7. Right now I see Advance Auto has Mobil 1 ESP for $9.

Also, the guy who has the oil extractor stuff? Is that necessary? $50 bucks??

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Here's another question, I'm seeing ECSTuning, Idparts.com etc with the whole package 5 quarts + filter etc for like $55-60 bucks. Is that right on the money or should I purchase separate?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
kysid, what Oil do you get? I would love to find some for 5-7. Right now I see Advance Auto has Mobil 1 ESP for $9.
Amazon. I have prime so free shipping. I've bought Pennzoil euro and total ineo for less than $6.50 a quart every time.

That meets or beats the sometimes honored pepboys sales on Mobil 1 ESP.

As for IDParts etc. The package has the filter which is roughly $10 so the price is reasonable. And IDParts has great customer service and reasonable shipping rates. I personally have bought everything other than oil from them because they are a good vendor who also supports the forum

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Over $10 a liter isn't competitive to me, I've not paid more than $7 a liter. My last purchase was $5.80 a quart.
Well at the time I wanted what the dealership used and didn't really have time to research what to buy. 507.00 is kinda tough to buy locally so I looked at amazon and a few other sites. After shipping amazon would have been a bit more then just buying at the dealership. It worked in a pinch. And I have enough oil left for almost two oil changes (close to enough for 3 total) :cool:

While it's not a must have tool, it really helps cut back 9n the work needed to get the oil drained. Stick the extractor in the oil dip stick tube and pump a few times vs jacking the car up, removing the plastic shield under the engine and removing the oil drain plug.

To me, it was worth the extra to avoid the extra steps. With the extractor you're only working top side.

Here's another question, I'm seeing ECSTuning, Idparts.com etc with the whole package 5 quarts + filter etc for like $55-60 bucks. Is that right on the money or should I purchase separate?
That sounds about right
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=175&products_id=1135
that's not a bad deal and it includes the oil filter that's typically $8-10 by itself.

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
One more question my local Napa has LiquiMoly Oil ... How is it? See a lot of Mobil and Castrol users but can anyone vouch for LiquiMoly?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
One more question my local Napa has LiquiMoly Oil ... How is it? See a lot of Mobil and Castrol users but can anyone vouch for LiquiMoly?
LiquiMoly is a top brand the same as Mobil and Castrol. Its just a European brand with less exposure in the US. Really with as tough as the 507 standard is I'd run any approved 507 oil without hesitation.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I found that the dealership actually has competitive prices for the proper oil. I got 12 1l bottles packed nicely in a box for $130 iirc.

Also while we are on the subject of oil changes...
I use this to extract the oil:
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_...=2817&osCsid=205eb328353b4396222342e997f59e9c

It's best to extract when the car is still warm and with the car at a slight incline towards the dipstick. Insert all the way then mack it out a mm or two.

I've had those before. Work about 5-8 times and progressively get worse with each use. Tube is a little short. Might try another brand this time around.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I used to get liquimoly toptec from napa for 45-50, but last time I got 3 5l jugs of total quartz ineo through amazon prime, cost was $93 iirc, well worth it. I get man filters from id parts, bought a 10 pack last time, sold a few to my coworkers, works out to about 7 a filter iirc.

I just used the third jug of total, noticed no difference in consumption, economy or noise than either mobil esp, or lubrimoly toptec, all three seem to be equally adaquate for the task. at 111000 miles I use about .5l every 10k, pretty low I'd say, I don't even bother topping up unless I plan on a real long trip late in the interval, oil is about half way on the hash marks when I change it.

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Also, my trusted TDI mechanic just recommended Shell Rotella .. he said it's not a 507 but it's legit... what do you guys think?

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Not for a common rail engine with a dpf installed. Stick with 507 approved for DPF use. Last two oil changes for me have been liquimoly from IDparts and zero issues.

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
I could get LiquiMoly from my local Napa it's about $48 dollars. I guess LM or Napa never run any coupon type deals to get it any cheaper?

Sprinks, you use a Mann filter?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Total is another large top tier European oil company. I have it in my car right now.

As for Rotella your mechanic is correct. Its a go to for me in any diesel applicantion except my car. It has a higher saps level than 507 oils which might equate to a dpf filled with ash sooner than using a 507. I have seen little reason to use other than 507 oil in the car after numerous oil tests and 80k plus miles. As it doesn't leet 507 it may also be a warranty issue should something engine or emissions related occur in that time.

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
I could get LiquiMoly from my local Napa it's about $48 dollars. I guess LM or Napa never run any coupon type deals to get it any cheaper?

Sprinks, you use a Mann filter?
Yes. Mann filter both times from idparts.com typically bought with the oil change kit. My local napa doesn't typically carry the 507 stuff.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I stocked up with several cases of mobil 1 formula m esp last year. It was 7 or 8 bucks a quart from AV Lubes. Same low SAPS as M1 ESP 5w-30 but in a 5w-40. Not sure if it is still available to buy(being discontinued) . VW tdi's have done poorly on 5w-30 oils in the past. The 5w-30 507 spec. is more for fuel economy than wear protection. Not dumping on 507, just saying there are better options.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... VW tdi's have done poorly on 5w-30 oils in the past. The 5w-30 507 spec. is more for fuel economy than wear protection. Not dumping on 507, just saying there are better options.
This is irrelevant when discussing the current tdi design.
No one has proven whatsoever that 507 is detrimental in any way.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think the 507 oils are detrimental, just not optimal. Any diesel mechanic worth his salt will tell you a 5w-40 offers better wear protection than a comparable 5w-30. The 507 oils are fine if you are a " by the book" kind of person.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think the 507 oils are detrimental, just not optimal. Any diesel mechanic worth his salt will tell you a 5w-40 offers better wear protection than a comparable 5w-30. The 507 oils are fine if you are a " by the book" kind of person.
Oil design has come a long way. There is absolutely no proof that a 5W40 will protect a CR tdi engine more than a 507 oil. Go ahead and offer any kind of measurable proof contrary to this if you can. If you can't, then please stop posting it like it is gospel truth. It may be your opinion, but if there is no proof to back it up then it is nothing more than that.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^There absolutely is proof. I just don't care to dig it up. Believe it, or don't- doesn't make much difference. I am curious why someone who spouts advice not to buy a new tdi frequents these forums.

Gungadoy

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
This works for me. I use the Mobil ESP and all is good. I order it online and pickup at store so I can take advantage of the onlines promotions. Now, Pep Boys has a 30% online sale.
$12.79/qt x 5=63.95. Minus 30%, the total with tax is $47.74. You can't beat that.
I usually buy 10 qts and two oil filters online at a time. 30% sale is 30% in my pocket.