Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
n1das said:
This reminds me of my story (an earlier post in this thread) where I was fueling up near a Chevy Suburban gasser and Mom yelled "Don't let it go past a hundred!" to her daughter who was pumping gas into the Suburban.

Right as I finished topping off my 05 PD JWagen I heard the daughter say "There Mom...I stopped it at EXACTLY a hundred!" :eek:
You know what's funny (or sad) about that story? That girl is growing up seeing a $100 fillup as normal. Scary stuff.

Not much of a story, but I was pleasantly surprised at my last fillup by the price. I stopped at a Kroger fuel center with diesel; the price was $3.899 on the sign. I decided to give it a whirl since they advertise 3¢/gal. off with a shoppers card and I've never done that before.

After scanning my card at the pump, the price dropped 10 cents, to $3.799! (Apparently they offer higher discounts when you spend a lot of $$$ in the stores.)

After seeing nothing but $4+ prices in the area, it was like stumbling on a massive bargain. :D

I drove from there (Clarksdale, MS) to the Alabama coast and prices here are $4.099 and up. Ouch.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Tom Servo said:
Not much of a story, but I was pleasantly surprised at my last fillup by the price. I stopped at a Kroger fuel center with diesel; the price was $3.899 on the sign. I decided to give it a whirl since they advertise 3¢/gal. off with a shoppers card and I've never done that before.

After scanning my card at the pump, the price dropped 10 cents, to $3.799! (Apparently they offer higher discounts when you spend a lot of $$$ in the stores.)

After seeing nothing but $4+ prices in the area, it was like stumbling on a massive bargain. :D
Yeah, they changed their discount a while back. You used to get 3 cents off per gallon just to use the card, but they stopped that. Now you get 10 cents per gallon off if you spend $100 on groceries.

The Kroger here in Vicksburg is building a new store across the street from where they are now so they will have room for a Kroger fuel station, and I hope they'll have diesel. There's one in Clinton, but it doesn't have diesel. I drive to Jackson once a week and the prices over there are 5-20 cents cheaper than here, so it may not be any bargain for me.

I lived in Cleveland, MS for a few years, and when the Kroger there opened their fuel station it was 3 cents off regular, 5 cents off mid-grade and 7 cents off premium, I don't know what diesel got (I drove a gasser then). Gas back then was between around $1 per gallon, sometimes dipping just under $1. They were always packed, and a few times I decided it wasn't worth idling in the line to save 3 cents per gallon. As gas prices went up, they dropped the discount to 3 cents on all grades.

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
bockegg said:
I posted this somewhere else but it is actually more appropriate here.
I saw someone I know yesterday that was in a NB Vert, gasser 2.0. It was a nice day and I said as a joke, "hey I'll trade you." He said "Not a chance ... I can't afford to drive that because it's a diesel." The best part about it is that he is an ACCOUNTANT!!
What an idiot!!:eek:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Tom Servo said:
You know what's funny (or sad) about that story? That girl is growing up seeing a $100 fillup as normal. Scary stuff.

I drove from there (Clarksdale, MS) to the Alabama coast and prices here are $4.099 and up. Ouch.
Yeah Kroger has been doing that for a while. Only problem is my local Kroger doesn't have a station at all.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I had to watch it twice to catch the VW. What really hit home for me was the man and his daughter in the minivan looking vehicle. Only about 2 short months ago. It was me and my daughter in my Chevy Blazer. I commute from Racine to Milwaukee for work. Thankfully I got smart and traded it in for my Jetta. While it was actually worth something. It may cost me more to fill up the tank but it lasts a little over a week. I dont have too much pain at the pump yet.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
bockegg said:
I posted this somewhere else but it is actually more appropriate here.
I saw someone I know yesterday that was in a NB Vert, gasser 2.0. It was a nice day and I said as a joke, "hey I'll trade you." He said "Not a chance ... I can't afford to drive that because it's a diesel." The best part about it is that he is an ACCOUNTANT!!
My accountant can beat up that accountant - he drives a TDI!:D

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
speed185187 said:
Just saw this on yahoo news, Watch the cars in the video. Specifically the red VW
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=7515797

And the economy just keeps going down, down, down, down......
Wow talk about whining too much. Everyone in the USA wallow in their self pity or just the folks that watch ABC news?

I pay over $5 for a gallon closer to $6 and I don't moan and groan or cut back meals? *** anway?

You guys whine too much:rolleyes:

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
speed185187 said:
Just saw this on yahoo news, Watch the cars in the video. Specifically the red VW
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=7515797

And the economy just keeps going down, down, down, down......
Did you notice that most of the people fueling up were in minivans or SUV's, or am I just seeing things? Sure, tell your kids they shouldn't eat so you can fill up your Suburban or Hummer! Or maybe if the kids wouldn't eat so much then these people might not need a Suburban to get around.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Old Navy said:
Her husband retired a year ago and she was going to retire this spring, and they had bought the Suburban to tow a camper (nice pop up) and lug their gear & large dog around while traveling. Not sure that will happen now. Plus they are stuck with 2 SUV's as he drives an older Bronco.
My grown son just bought a 28'(?) camper to pull behind his '07 Denali XL. It's some kind of hard-sided trailer that has pull-out section for the beds, etc. It's huge!

The bad news is he will probably be in the single digits for miles per gallon when pulling it. The good news is that his company pays for all of his fuel!

I didn't ask, but I bet you can buy those big trailers pretty cheap nowadays :)

Last edited:

thebigtman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
A couple of filling station stories

In an effort to bring us back on topic, I'll share a couple of fill up stories. They aren't Pulitzer material but you might find them interesting.

1. While driving my Liberty CRD a few months ago I pulled into a popular filling station behind a mid 80's Mercedes diesel sedan. There was a F250 filling up on the other side. They both gave me confused looks and started pointing at the Lib. The guy in the Mercedes finished and pulled away so I pulled up. I promptly pulled out my bottle of two stroke oil and started adding a little to the tank. The guy in the Mercedes circled back and got out of his car. He scratched his chin and said, "huh...it's a diesel?!" By that time the guy in the F250 had his neck cranked around the side of the pump and started asking about mileage, production numbers, engine size, etc. I also told them that I drive 160 miles a day and on the highway I can get 31-33mpg depending upon where I keep the rpms. Both of them were amazed at the stats especially the towing capacity of the little mule. I pointed to the other guy's F250 and said that I used to be like you and that my last vehicle was a 4x4 Expedition with a 6" lift and 35" tires. I couldn't help but mention that I was much happier with the mileage of the Lib! The F250 driver said that he puts $75 in at a time to reduce the shock of paying over a $100 for a fillup. Ouch. They were both very nice guys and kept talking to me until I was finished with my fill up. It was nice to educate some of the longtime diesel owners that there are more vehicles running diesel than just old Mercedes and heavy pickups.

2. My second story involves the same station. This station normally has the lowest diesel prices in the area so it gets crowded at times. This day was no exception. I was driving my (new to me) 06 A5 TDI. It was my second day of ownership to boot. When I pulled in I could see it was a mad house. There was a guy pulling a hot shot trailer taking up the entire entrance and blocking traffic while waiting to get diesel. The other pump had one Dodge diesel filling up so I circled around and got near the Dodge to let anyone know that I was waiting to use that particular pump. Since this station doesn't have a lot of maneuvering room, I did stay back just enough from the back of the Dodge to allow traffic to pass through. Well, wouldn't you know it but Billy Bad A$$ in his F250 came roaring in front of me and put the front of his truck where I intended to go. He probably figured that my little VW was taking "his" pump b/c it was diesel. It took me about .003 seconds to pop out of my car and point at my car and point to the pump. He looked confused so I repeated it. He threw his hands up and put it in reverse. I knew he was waiting for me to get up there, realize it was diesel and speed away. I think that he about soiled himself as I pulled up there, put in some of the familiar grey bottle Power Service and proceeded to pump diesel. After I finished I gave him a polite "thank you" wave and continued on. As much as I want it to happen, I've never had anyone say, "hey buddy, you know that's diesel, right?" Everytime I go to the station I hope that someone will ask that question so I can respond with the quote from earlier in this thread of "yeah, but these German cars need diesel every now and then to keep 'em running right, plus I get about 50 mpg when I use this stuff." I want to see there jaw drop when I do finally get to use that line.

Take care,
T

2003vwchick

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Went to fill today, and had someone come over and tell me how stupid I was since diesel was so expensive and I was going to ruin my car. I told them it was a diesel and I get 48 mpg, how much did they get per mile? They looked confused and said they didn't realize VW made a diesel (huh?). I pushed them on their mpg and they quietly said 21. I said I get more than double your mileage, get over 700 miles per tank, and you're ragging on me? With that, the idiot just walked away. :p

Sally

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
2003vwchick said:
Went to fill today, and had someone come over and tell me how stupid I was since diesel was so expensive and I was going to ruin my car. I told them it was a diesel and I get 48 mpg, how much did they get per mile? They looked confused and said they didn't realize VW made a diesel (huh?). I pushed them on their mpg and they quietly said 21. I said I get more than double your mileage, get over 700 miles per tank, and you're ragging on me? With that, the idiot just walked away. :p

Sally
You should have thrown in a

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
2003vwchick said:

Sally
ROTFLMAO!!!!

I vote Sally's story as #1 for being such a great story plus an EXCELLENT idea for a VW TDI commercial on TV! I think this story would make an excellent TV commercial! :cool: It really shows how the average gas guzzler driver can't see past the price per gallon at the pump and can't do simple math. It helps open people's eyes to DIESEL. The 700 mile tank range also nails it. :cool:

This story has all the elements that a funny, no-nonsense, and memorable TV commercial needs to have to advertise the TDI.

Last edited:

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Filling up story...

No one so far has liked me giving them information on the difference of what a Diesel vehicle makes in MPG's compared to their gasser vehicle, either that or they do not WANT to accept reality of fuel costs.

Like 2003VWCHICK story, many persons ask me why Diesel ?
I explain but there (in their brain...), the lightbulb is burnt out, or something...:eek: !

Either that or their wiring in their head was made by the same company that made the B4's door/window pony tails :p ...