AC warm T idle

Garageman1965

TDI
2005 wagon silver
Ok so I've read several threads about this and I'm still trying to figure it out. I have a 2005 tdi passat wagon and the AC works perfect when I'm moving and gets warm whenever I stop. I've replaced the 384 relay I have also replaced the electric cooling fan and the clutch on the mechanical fan. I recovered the refrigerant and replaced the orfice tube recharged the system by weight and still does the exact same thing I'm frustrated �� Please help me to get this done ✅. Thank you ��

Sorry for the error in the title I tried to correct it but apparently you can't change the title!

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Does the AC work while moving? Did you check to make sure the cooling fans are coming on? Does the heat work and air flow freely from the vents?

Garageman1965

TDI
2005 wagon silver
Yes I've replaced the electric cooling fan and the clutch on the mechanical fan, recirc is on and the air blows ice cold when moving. Also recovered refrigant and replaced the metering orifice and recharged the system by proper weight. Replaced the 384 relay in the dash as well.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
But is the electric fan working when idling with the ac on?

Yes I've replaced the electric cooling fan and the clutch on the mechanical fan, recirc is on and the air blows ice cold when moving. Also recovered refrigant and replaced the metering orifice and recharged the system by proper weight. Replaced the 384 relay in the dash as well.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yup . . .that's about the only thing that will cause this - low airflow over the condenser when sitting still. To verify, get a big fan, point it into the grille, and see if cooling comes back when stationary . . . if so, the fan may be new, but may not be running *or* if a dual speed fan, may never get off low, which can look exactly like this on hot days (had a Jeep last year with exactly that problem . . .).

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Sounds like a defective clutch fan.
I understand you replace it before but is it possible it's not engaging, I'll start by checking the relay.

bajan

Garageman1965

TDI
2005 wagon silver
I don't know how to check the clutch on the mechanical fan to SE if it is working feel it moving air any suggestions I bought some condenser Cleaner this morning and I'm going to spray the condenser and radiation to see if they are just dirty enough to restrict cooling a bit. Has anyone ever put a aux fan on the outside in front of the condenser to push more air though the condenser??

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If the AC works going down the road,( I am assuming it does and the clutch on the compressor engages) but does not when idling, most likely the airflow is restricted or nonexistent. Good idea to clean the condensor then confirm your fans are working.