Lug bolt question.

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Just a quick question. I put some new wheels on my car. The required different lug bolts. They were maybe 3 mm longer but the wheels were 1-2 mm thicker. The wheels seem to spin fine not hitting anything so far. Is there any concern here at all. Sometimes I just overthink and worry too much. ?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Sure, there is cause for concern. You need to have the correct lug nuts.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Did you get conical bolts or OEM VW style?
Most aftermarket wheels have conical and VW uses a domed bolt seat.

I had to get some myself. Ended up not needing the length I got because the cone head bolts seat further than OEM.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
As long as they're the correct type it's fine, vw themselves do two different lengths to accommodate different wheels.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
there is a LOT of room back there, don't sweat a couple of MM. the bolts run all the way down without a wheel even in place will bottom out on what I vaguely recall as a stamped steel shape that spins with the hub... didn't really pay a lot of attention as to what it was.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
As long as they're the correct type it's fine, vw themselves do two different lengths to accommodate different wheels.
Just curious but.....

Do the same bolts that are for the stock steelies work with the stock Avus rims or would new bolts need to be purchased?

Thanks

Andrew

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)

Do the same bolts that are for the stock steelies work with the stock Avus rims or would new bolts need to be purchased?...
The same bolts work with either the steelies or with Avus wheels. You'd like Avus better than steelies. The looks are, of course, in the eye of the beholder, but you'll save 6 pounds per corner with Avus vs. steelies. More if you count the wheel covers on the steelies.

Cheers,

PH

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
The same bolts work with either the steelies or with Avus wheels. You'd like Avus better than steelies. The looks are, of course, in the eye of the beholder, but you'll save 6 pounds per corner with Avus vs. steelies. More if you count the wheel covers on the steelies.

Cheers,

PH
HI.

Thanks for the info about the bolts being the same...

I am looking forward to seeing if I can "feel" the difference the weight savings makes....(I even switched the spare to the avus also but admittedly the weight savings there I could not feel).

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
VW bolts are the same and should be used with VW wheels.
However, if you go with aftermarket wheels, you need conical bolts.

The seat is VW specific.

My bolts were to long so I ground them down to fit.

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
thanks guys. yes I got the conical bolts. everything went well with them, they are a little harder to get lined up, but they look awesome and the handling is soo much better.

weelsey

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Just curious but.....

Do the same bolts that are for the stock steelies work with the stock Avus rims or would new bolts need to be purchased?
I've noticed the difference in the amount of threading between the steel and VW Montery rims and wondered, "how is this o.k."? Lug bolts really do not thread in to the hubs very far with the Montery's in place.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Ive been thinking about some new wheels for my wagon....Post some pictures of your new wheels for us.....Please. :)

thanks guys. yes I got the conical bolts. everything went well with them, they are a little harder to get lined up, but they look awesome and the handling is soo much better.

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
sorry for the delay guys, here is a pic for you. I am very happy with them. the handling is so much better, I dont even think it needs sway bars now.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Placebo effect on handling, the real deal in the looks department..........

How much weight difference is there between the steelies and the 'new' wheels?

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Placebo effect on handling, the real deal in the looks department..........
It's not a placebo effect if you're switching from stock 15" wheels/tires and going to 225/45-17 rubber. The wider contact patch and lower profile/sidewall does make a difference.

They DO handle better, but...you're right in that the main benefit is in how they look. 17" rims/tires are heavy, and it takes more power to turn them.

I mainly run stock size rims and tires on my TDI's, but I do have 225/45-17's for both cars as well, and when I put them on, I can feel the power loss IMHO, especially with the ALH.