Modifying the head gasket?

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
Good evening,
I planed to fit BHW pistons in a 1.4 TDI. However, I totally forgot the bore of the headgasket. (which is max 80,7mm)
It seems like it isn't possbile to use the 2.0 TDI head gasket as there would be a problem with the oil supply. (thanks to Rub87!)

Does anybody know if there is an easy way to cut the holes on the stock headgasket, so one could fit BHW pistons?

Thanks in advance
David

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'd try and find a shop with an old jig grinder, would make it quick work.
Probably be a couple hundred USD to get it in the door depending on how big and busy the shop is, though.

barring that, you could make wood blocks to clamp the gasket between and guide a three stone cylinder hone, and spend a lot of time trying to get it proper. Maybe sawzall a junk engine block in two and use that to hone the gaskets out.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
the fire rings will be too close to hone it out (ask me how I know :p).. you have two options:

1) have a custom gasket made. I have a shop that did some for my 81mm AHU setup at $500 for 2 gaskets it wasn't cheap, but I now have a pattern to have more made.

2) take a stock gasket with the largest diameter and remove the rivets. Then for each layer have it cut on a water jet between luan (12mm thick board). Then take the fire rings from a BHW gasket set and reassemble the stack. Use Indean head head gasket paste to glue it all together around the important spots and reassembly with new rivots. Note going this route you need to align the gasket center and will have play due to the head stud or bolts diameter. I'd suggest going over a bit so you don't crunch the gasket between the head and piston if there is slight overlap after thermal expansion.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Then take the fire rings from a BHW gasket set and reassemble the stack.
I have a torn apart and cleaned off ALH head gasket atop my monitor, and it's got no separate fire rings, just the two spring shim layers, the shim layer to set for a 2-hole thickness, then a thicker plate that mics out totally flat

Unless you mean using a tin snips to cut up the spring shim parts from a BHW and glomming them into the setup.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I'm curious the best way to do this as well as I'm running stock BHW pistons in my 1z block. We ended up using a Corrado G60 head gasket. I was wondering if there was a way to modify the 1z gasket to get it to work instead.

Last edited: