What happened to our car?

gerry100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta sedan MT
We turned in our 27k miles, '11 Jetta TDI MT.

Great car for 5 years but we couldn't resist the buy out.

Seems like a waste for a fine,efficient vehicle.

What are they doing with these?

donallen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
We turned in our 27k miles, '11 Jetta TDI MT.

Great car for 5 years but we couldn't resist the buy out.

Seems like a waste for a fine,efficient vehicle.

What are they doing with these?
I have a similar car with about 30k miles and am going to wait until the last possible moment next to make a decision, to take advantage of the fact that VW will pay me the same amount for the car next year as now, saving me a year's depreciation on a replacement. It also gives me the opportunity to take the restitution payment and keep the car (which I think is fantastic; there is nothing available that can match its combination of quality and efficiency), if a fix is approved (VW submitted a proposal to fix the Gen 1 cars to the EPA and CARB on 1/25, according to court documents) and is acceptable to me.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
They should take some metal from each of our crushed cars, and melt it into a small medallion to send back to us as a keepsake remembrance of our past ownership of a TDI.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Yes, I too believe it is wasteful to own a diesel and only drive it 4k miles per year.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I have a similar car with about 30k miles and am going to wait until the last possible moment next to make a decision, to take advantage of the fact that VW will pay me the same amount for the car next year as now, saving me a year's
  • depreciation on a replacement.

It also gives me the opportunity to take the restitution payment and keep the car (which I think is fantastic; there is nothing available that can match its combination of quality and efficiency), if a fix is approved

(VW submitted a proposal to fix the Gen 1 cars to the EPA and CARB on 1/25, according to court documents) and is acceptable to me.

We are both in the cat bird seat. But I am lucky enough to have a GEN 3 and the *fix* is here.

At approx 5K on my clock, the unit is prime to wait for the fix until the last month, and do it. That is if I do not crash it. Great MPG, And the 11 year, 162,000 warranty.

If I do not crash it, I will take the $7,051 (VW and BOSCH) and motor on, saving another $1,000 TT&L on a new replacement.

If I do crash it, maybe I can get the BB ($25,625)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
your previous car is in a lot someplace, waiting for the "fix" to be approved.

assuming it is in great shape, you may, in the not too distant future, buy it back after a fix is applied. this will happen only if they (VW north america, and the local dealer) can make money on the sale.

they have until the end of next year to resolve this, so patience is the order of the day.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
They should take some metal from each of our crushed cars, and melt it into a small medallion to send back to us as a keepsake remembrance of our past ownership of a TDI.
Kind of like with the class rings for Citadel graduates.
Alumni (or their survivors) may return their rings to have them melted down and
mixed into the new rings. Thinking about doing that with my father's from 1942.

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
Try it like this:
https://www.research.com/
It worked for me. I found my 2015 GSW went from NJ where I turned it in last January to Michigan and is for sale in Minneapolis, MI.
Good link but I could not locate the ultimate disposition of my Golf. Lotsa detailed info but where does it indicate if the car is for sale or not? I am curious.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I sold my car back in Vermont in Dec 2016.

The report gives a mileage record of 78312 miles as of 06-14-2017, with the source "State of Title "Michigan"" That, as best I recall, is approximately the odo reading when I sold it back.

Does this mean that the car is actually titled, or merely a record of where it was last month? Silverdome parking lot?

Ogcat

TDI
2015 Golf S DSG, 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
Mine was easy to find. Once I saw it was re-titled I searched cars.com with an all miles from my zip and narrowed by color and manual transmission. That's how I found it for sale in Minneapolis.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I turned my TDI 09 JSW 2 days ago the VW manager said the good ones are going to Mexico to be sold without a fix. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Mine was pristine with 42k . My car spent the winter in a" car capsule" in NE,while I enjoy being in FL. which explains the low mileage. Hated to sell it back .but business is business.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
^ That is explicitly against what it says in the consent decree. The cars may not be exported in un-fixed condition ... except as scrap metal.

They are NOT going to Mexico as-is.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
^ That is explicitly against what it says in the consent decree. The cars may not be exported in un-fixed condition ... except as scrap metal.

They are NOT going to Mexico as-is.
Exactly. That manager has no clue what he speaks of.

I also visited a local junkyard who had stacks of TDIs that had already been crushed. I was told they're receiving all 2009-2012 models that were bought back.

With a gen 1 fix now approved since then, I doubt they will stop crushing them. They just might be only keeping the nicer, lower mileage and younger 2013-14 vehicles to fix for eventual resale. Think about it this way: dealers and VW themselves won't want to be on the hook for warranty repairs on an older, high mileage vehicle if they can help it. So 2012 and older models that were turned in, it is sayonara.

If you've held onto a pre-2012 vehicle and want it fixed, VW must do so and honor the extended warranty on it and pay you the restitution.

Pre-2013 commonrail TDIs are going to become a rare vehicle. Who knows, maybe the TDI Cup Edition will become collectible since the ones that got bought back are sure to be crushed, making their numbers exceptionally small.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Thanks, so did mine. Records indicate to Schnitzer Northeast, a scrap-yard in Johnston, Rhode Island.
Schnitzer also did mine at the same yard. Crushed on Valentines day.

VW must be doing a good job of keeping secrecy and photos/videos from ending up online because I have yet to see a video of one being crushed.

I figure at some point a photo or video of them crushing cars will leak. Part of me wants to see it just like looking at an accident on the side of the road

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW

VW must be doing a good job of keeping secrecy and photos/videos from ending up online because I have yet to see a video of one being crushed.

I figure at some point a photo or video of them crushing cars will leak. Part of me wants to see it just like looking at an accident on the side of the road
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=474999

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
The pictures shared above are from early on and seem to be the only ones circulating online. It is pretty surprising more pictures or videos haven't surfaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The pictures shared above are from early on and seem to be the only ones circulating online. It is pretty surprising more pictures or videos haven't surfaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, if you want to climb through the barbed wire and brave the lot dog, by all means get in there and get us some fresh pics. We'll look at 'em!

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto

As mine made it to 145k (82k by me in 4 years) and the rest by its prior owner, not all bad, but still a waste.

Getting about $12k was very difficult to turn away. The waste out there is but a small drop in the bucket when one considers other things such as government spending, food waste, wasted talent and unlimited potential.

Still I had fun with my TDI and was sad to see it go out that way.

Wasted.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

It's known that they've contracted with specific scrap yards to do this, and that included security measures; it wouldn't be surprising at all to find that this also included a non-disclosure agreement.

Can't stop a member of the public from following a truck loaded with cars to see where it goes ...

Can't stop someone from nearby high ground from taking telephoto pics ... or using a drone, as long as they don't actually enter the property ...

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Visiting my car has crossed my mind. I liked the Mark V chassis and thought of it as a very crashworthy vehicle. A very good car for me and one I surely miss. Getting over this loss has not been easy, but I think of the good times.

I'm guessing it was crushed but part of me hopes a junk yard worker fell in love with its big eyes and has somehow repossessed it. I'm not sure if R.I. has emissions testing but if not I prefer to think my car would have enjoyed another life somewhere.

A junk yard dog and a pot bellied loser were spotted in my old Jetta blasting Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam or Police music. Even occasionally listening to lovely sonatas by Chopin, Beethoven or Mozart.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-stashed-hundreds-of-cheating-diesels-in-an-a-1791535662/amp

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yes, I too believe it is wasteful to own a diesel and only drive it 4k miles per year.

Pfft you're doing it wrong. People buy diesels to look at them, wash them and go to the corner store, nothing more. Remember, this is the approved mode of use sanctioned by the EPA.